Britain eyes early free trade pact with Australia after leaving EU

snoop1130

19 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

But they do >60% of trade with the rest of the UK which is right on their doorstep. Why mess with that? If you work out the answer, you'll get a better idea of why the UK voted to leave the EU. 

What is good for the goose is now good for the gander. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

I think you missed the point. You called Brexit voters idiots for wanting to pull away from their closest trading partners. But you want Scotland to pull away from their closest trading partner. Wouldn't that make indy voters idiots too? 

I think you missed the point. Most of the stuff you import to England from Scotland is stuff you can't get anywhere else.

Scotland is the only country in the UK which has a trade surplus not deficit.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

As for insults. If your skin is thin then don't throw them out.

Please show me where I insulted you.

You know you have on many occasions. Even the pathetic laugh emoji's at posts you cant actually refute but simply dismiss. When someone called me a traitor just because I believe brexit is a bad idea I had an epiphany. I decided that I no longer wished to accommodate the abuse leveled at me. From now on you guys get the same as you dish out. Its telling that some Brexiteers when faced with this chose to block me. Demonstrates how fragile they really are. 

How fractious Brexiteers have become since "independence day". Up to that point you guys didn't have to actually face the issues you had created. Now slogans no longer work because we are into detail. Brexiteers don't do detail. Just like Johnson. I sense you are not as confident as you all once were. Reality is starting to bite. The real work starts now. 

Hey you guys won. Now deliver the promises you all made.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Loiner said:

Does that mean the Scots won’t be dealing with either the EU or Aus from now on? Is that a case of traitors double crossing? And it’s because you think we broke something that was already broken. 

The rest of UK will no doubt carry on trading with both of them. It may be reduced somewhat, depending on what terms they want to agree to, but that won’t be the end of trade, or the world as the Remainers would still have us believe. 

By definition a traitor is someone who does damage to their own country. You have just admitted that trade is going to be reduced therefor real harm is going to be done to the UK.

This means Brexiteers are the traitors. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

No, I fully understand what you're saying; that it might cost us a couple of quid more for a bottle of Scotch whisky if Scotland gains independence (btw, there are plenty of gin distilleries in England). That's a separate argument. You changed the subject because you couldn't refute the hypocrisy that I pointed out. Let me ask you again: 

You called Brexit voters idiots for wanting to pull away from their closest trading partners. But you want Scotland to pull away from their closest trading partner. Wouldn't that make indy voters idiots too?

Still missing the point.

England will have to keep trading with Scotland even after independence because you can't get our stuff from elsewhere. What we want to do is keep trading with an even bigger market called the EU. Indeed we want to remain in the EU.

Now you do have an option. You could all boycott Scottish products just out of spite. Thats a choice many little Englanders may make.

But if you want to live in the dark drinking scrumpy wire in.

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

I sense that my and all Brexiteer confidence is bursting out all over. Whereas I sense your sour grapes are squirting everywhere. Well, at least in two directions: all over a failed Remain bid and a soon to be abandoned independence notion. 

Why soon to be abandoned? For the past 2 years polling has showed a steady upward climb for independence while support for the union has consistently waned. Now we have 3 separate polls over the past couple of weeks, one at 50/50 and the other two showing majority support or independence. Your prophesy seems to be based on ignorance rather than evidence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Why soon to be abandoned? For the past 2 years polling has showed a steady upward climb for independence while support for the union has consistently waned. Now we have 3 separate polls over the past couple of weeks, one at 50/50 and the other two showing majority support or independence. Your prophesy seems to be based on ignorance rather than evidence.

With Salmond's trial on the horizon and Sturgeon's heir spectacularly falling from grace the above is little more than wishful thinking.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

For the past 2 years polling has showed a steady upward climb for independence while support for the union has consistently waned. Now we have 3 separate polls over the past couple of weeks, one at 50/50 and the other two showing majority support or independence.

We had a "straw poll" in the office last week. Out of five respondents. three (a majority) were in favour of us becoming millionaires. When asked to demonstrate how this would be achieved an uneerie silence descended

19 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

We had a "straw poll" in the office last week. Out of five respondents. three (a majority) were in favour of us becoming millionaires. When asked to demonstrate how this would be achieved an uneerie silence descended

Will the minority now be insulting the "majority" for the unforseeable future? Asking for a friend. ????

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

In the last independence referendum the Scottish government produced a white paper detailing how independence would be achieved.

In Brexit the Leave campaign simply lied and hid behind vague promises. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Will the minority now be insulting the "majority" for the unforseeable future? Asking for a friend. ????

Oh now dry those salty tears.

Just because one person kicks back at the insults Brexiteers like handing out. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

In the last independence referendum the Scottish government produced a white paper detailing how independence would be achieved.

And I look forward to the one that sets out how an independent Scotland will definitely be joining the EU, given that the EU can't possibly negotiate the terms for joining (and terms there will be) and the timeline for joining until after the result of the referendum is known