Britain eyes early free trade pact with Australia after leaving EU

snoop1130

22 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yes.

And now that the UK is no longer part of the EU expect some serious love bombing to head Scotlands way from Europe.

Smoke and mirrors. ???????? want ???????????????????????????? (???????? ) and aren't interested in the minnow that (in their eyes) is ???????????????????????????? .

IMO we're better off together which is why the appropriate authorities are doing to SNP what they successfully did to Sinn Fein a generation ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

With Salmond's trial on the horizon and Sturgeon's heir spectacularly falling from grace the above is little more than wishful thinking.

Seriously? If you believe that, you are going to be sadly disappointed, I am sure.

That Johnson is in No. 10 shows that no matter how beneath contempt and utterly unworthy of respect an individual might be, ideology trumps personality. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Europe wants Scotland, which is far more reasonable and European country, than England and it's fetish for becoming 51st state of the USA. England is a lost cause for the EU and that's perfectly fine. 

Once the boomers, who did not experience the war, who were able to live and prosper on the shoulders of their parents, are off the picture; England hopefully changes for the better. We'll see that after 10 years or so.

Let's just agree to disagree, not least cos we don't need another ???????????????????????????? love in.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Let's just agree to disagree, not least cos we don't need another ???????????????????????????? love in.

We can agree to disagree.

There is a lot in common between Scotland and Europe.

There is a lot in common between England and USA.

There is a lot in common between England and Australia.

There is a lot in common between Europe and New Zealand. 

Yes, people and cultures differ. Some are better match to work together towards common goals than others.

Edited by TheDark
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, samran said:

I hear there will be a surplus of super bendy bananas that the brexiters will be gorging themselves on...

Sounds like toys for far right kinky sex party! 

Finally all of brexit starts to make sense. 

• Like 2

On 2/6/2020 at 7:09 PM, Logosone said:

Britain now takes just 3% of Australia’s exports, while China takes nearly 40%. Britain’s entry into the Common Market in 1973 was widely considered a betrayal in Australia, upending decades of tradition and a host of tariff 

Interesting.

Yes. Interesting. But do tell us about this host of tariffs? 

16 hours ago, TheDark said:

Sounds like toys for far right kinky sex party! Finally all of brexit starts to make sense. 

You should view the television series Cucumber, which mentions a declension that goes Cucumber, Banana, Peeled Banana, Tofu

Edited by ThaiBunny
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2020 at 12:04 AM, Rookiescot said:

You know you have on many occasions. Even the pathetic laugh emoji's at posts you cant actually refute but simply dismiss. When someone called me a traitor just because I believe brexit is a bad idea I had an epiphany. I decided that I no longer wished to accommodate the abuse leveled at me. From now on you guys get the same as you dish out. Its telling that some Brexiteers when faced with this chose to block me. Demonstrates how fragile they really are. 

How fractious Brexiteers have become since "independence day". Up to that point you guys didn't have to actually face the issues you had created. Now slogans no longer work because we are into detail. Brexiteers don't do detail. Just like Johnson. I sense you are not as confident as you all once were. Reality is starting to bite. The real work starts now. 

Hey you guys won. Now deliver the promises you all made.

Aw didums.

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2020 at 4:23 PM, Rookiescot said:

We already were trading with both the EU and Aus.

The idiots who voted for Brexit broke that.

Whatever happens we will still trade with both the EU and Aus. Idiot back!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Maybe. It might even become the cherry picking that the EU hates so much, who knows?

Yeah but the meat and three veg traders aren’t going to be too happy about having their markets closed off/having excessive paperwork put on them. 

3 minutes ago, samran said:

Yeah but the meat and three veg traders aren’t going to be too happy about having their markets closed off/having excessive paperwork put on them. 

Well said. But what did you mean, I wonder? 

On 2/8/2020 at 3:40 PM, TheDark said:

<SNIP>

What is UK be able to sell to Australia to balance the trade? After all UK as whole makes money by selling its products and services to outside world. 

What is UK going to sell to Australia to balance this trade?

I would guess EU will address any competitive differences in the eventual ETA with UK. Australian agricultural exports to EU/UK are small in comparison to the agricultural imports from EU/UK. It has been proposed UK car manufacturing exports could increase as car manufacturing no longer exists in Oz. Assume have to wait and see how many car manufacturers actually continue to operate in UK after the conclusion of Brexit. Perhaps UK investment in Australia could increase (currently UK is our third largest investor). You may be interested in info below, few years out of date, on UK / Oz trade.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Joint/Foreign_Affairs_Defence_and_Trade/tradewithUK/Interim_Report/section?id=committees%2Freportjnt%2F024101%2F25066

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, simple1 said:

I would guess EU will address any competitive differences in the eventual ETA with UK. Australian agricultural exports to EU/UK are small in comparison to the agricultural imports from EU/UK. It has been proposed UK car manufacturing exports could increase as car manufacturing no longer exists in Oz. Assume have to wait and see how many car manufacturers actually continue to operate in UK after the conclusion of Brexit. Perhaps UK investment in Australia could increase (currently UK is our third largest investor). You may be interested in info below, few years out of date, on UK / Oz trade.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Joint/Foreign_Affairs_Defence_and_Trade/tradewithUK/Interim_Report/section?id=committees%2Freportjnt%2F024101%2F25066

My guess is that while current UK government is playing nationalistic hardball towards EU, there is not going to be any significant trade deal between the two parties. UK will be left alone.

Japanese car manufacturers will keep on producing cars for Australian market. They don't need a middle man England, to route all the hardware via UK. 

That gives good opportunities to Australia as UK will be on her knees, begging for trade deals to show the people, that 'UK still got it'. This is all good news for Australia.

But the question still remains, what can UK gain for her own prosperity? What can UK gain for the prosperity of her subjects?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, TheDark said:

My guess is that while current UK government is playing nationalistic hardball towards EU, there is not going to be any significant trade deal between the two parties. UK will be left alone.

Japanese car manufacturers will keep on producing cars for Australian market. They don't need a middle man England, to route all the hardware via UK. 

That gives good opportunities to Australia as UK will be on her knees, begging for trade deals to show the people, that 'UK still got it'. This is all good news for Australia.

But the question still remains, what can UK gain for her own prosperity? What can UK gain for the prosperity of her subjects?

there is an interesting opinion piece below that should cast some light on potential industry sectors...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-brexit-wont-free-the-u-k-from-eu-regulations-11581087277

21 minutes ago, simple1 said:

there is an interesting opinion piece below that should cast some light on potential industry sectors...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-brexit-wont-free-the-u-k-from-eu-regulations-11581087277

That story is unfortunately behind paywall. I can see only the intro. Can you give us the main points of the article.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nauseus said:

Are you seriously suggesting Scotland and England will stop trading with each other after independence?

Seriously?

You very might stop buying Scottish produce because you sound the kind who would have a hissy fit over it but most people in England will still want the stuff they get from Scotland.

Face facts. We are leaving. You and the rest of the guys down at Wetherspoons will just need to lump it. 

If you dont want to buy our stuff we wont miss you.

We might switch off the electricity though.

• Like 1