Trip to Pattaya on February 10th. Should I cancel it?

dan42

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

I would say come down....you only live once.

Flipside is, you only die once as well.

Don't cancel your trip.. As always, be wary of comments made about Pattaya, usually from people who have seldom, if ever been here. Everything is same, just a few less people cluttering the beach and walking at. Chinese seldom visit go-go bars, the ferries to log learn still operate. Many less speed boats making trips to the island.i can see island and Bali hai,from my condo.lots less buses clogging the roads. The bus Park at cosy beach is totally empty today. 

NOW is an excellent time to visit Pattaya. Most Chinese that are here, are wearing face masks. 

I was in Pattaya recently, very pleasant. Probably the best time to come, before the hopeless businesses close down. There is a core of businesses in Pattaya that aren't dependent on seasonal or global flux, but are just like good value. 

21 hours ago, dan42 said:

Thanks for you answer.

What about Walking Street and the nightlife areas? And ferries to koh larn etc still working right?

Skip walking street, it's just an expensive tourist trap. The few Chinese still in Pattaya loves Koh Larn which also is a tourist trap. If these two places are the ones you like the most,then maybe you should find another place in Thailand. 

• Like 1

you definately should cancell as your travel is for pleasure only and 

pleasure is NOT worth risking your life or even your safety (because just now the thai 

health minister called thai people to help in kicking out farang who don't wear masks).

Edited by SCOTT FITZGERSLD
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm cutting and running as we were due to fly out on 3rd March after a 3 month stay - concerned that flight restrictions might be put in place before then if we leave it to the end. And we have done all we set out to do. If the virus gets a hold in Thailand then I have zero confidence in the Thai authorities to have a handle on this and 10s of millions of Chinese are on lockdown - something pretty terrible is up as much to do with overwhelmed health facilities as morbidity of the  virus no doubt. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/hundreds-of-miles-from-hubei-another-30-million-chinese-are-in-coronavirus-lockdown/2020/02/07/03a08282-48b9-11ea-8a1f-de1597be6cbc_story.html

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, emptypockets said:

A lot don't even live in Thailand.

You're correct,and still they post a lot of c**p about stuff they haven't got a clue about. I'm living in Jomtien, and in my area there are loads of tourists. The beach was packed with people 11:30am today,both tourists and thai people. The baht buses were half full or full. All those buses went towards Pattaya. I didn't see one Chinese tourist. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

I'm cutting and running as we were due to fly out on 3rd March after a 3 month stay - concerned that flight restrictions might be put in place before then if we leave it to the end. And we have done all we set out to do. If the virus gets a hold in Thailand then I have zero confidence in the Thai authorities to have a handle on this and 10s of millions of Chinese are on lockdown - something pretty terrible is up as much to do with overwhelmed health facilities as morbidity of the  virus no doubt. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/hundreds-of-miles-from-hubei-another-30-million-chinese-are-in-coronavirus-lockdown/2020/02/07/03a08282-48b9-11ea-8a1f-de1597be6cbc_story.html

May I ask where you're staying in Thailand,BKK? You seem a bit paranoid like the rest of the people from the US. You think a newspaper in the US knows everything about the Coronavirus in Thailand? Do you also believe Donald Trump? 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

May I ask where you're staying in Thailand,BKK? You seem a bit paranoid like the rest of the people from the US. You think a newspaper in the US knows everything about the Coronavirus in Thailand? Do you also believe Donald Trump? 

Am in Jomtien and am a Brit married to Thai going back to London. We have 9 weeks here already which is frankly too long and this virus stuff and my obsessing about it is peeing off the missus and making me restless. So we might as well go home at not much extra cost. Hopefully it will all blow over and be one great nothing burger in the end. That said the news coming out of China seems to be getting progressively worse and frankly unprecedented. That is what is spooking me and given that I can relax when I get home then that is what we should do. I have never seen a developing news story like this- no doubt unduly amplified by social media in my lifetime. 

We're (hopefully) getting too paranoid about the projected infection and death rate (especially when we can only trust Beijing's leaders as much as we can throw them).

But the real danger in China is the civil panic, industry grinding to a halt for weeks/months, and the Maoist regime losing its grip.

Edited by URMySunshine

1 hour ago, URMySunshine said:

Am in Jomtien and am a Brit married to Thai going back to London. We have 9 weeks here already which is frankly too long and this virus stuff and my obsessing about it is peeing off the missus and making me restless. So we might as well go home at not much extra cost. Hopefully it will all blow over and be one great nothing burger in the end. That said the news coming out of China seems to be getting progressively worse and frankly unprecedented. That is what is spooking me and given that I can relax when I get home then that is what we should do. I have never seen a developing news story like this- no doubt unduly amplified by social media in my lifetime. 

We're (hopefully) getting too paranoid about the projected infection and death rate (especially when we can only trust Beijing's leaders as much as we can throw them).

But the real danger in China is the civil panic, industry grinding to a halt for weeks/months, and the Maoist regime losing its grip.

People like you really make me laugh. You have probably got as much chance of catching the virus than your plane having an accident on the way to the UK. If you are paronoid about this, you must be paronoid about everything. Good luck we wont miss you.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimn said:

People like you really make me laugh. You have probably got as much chance of catching the virus than your plane having an accident on the way to the UK. If you are paronoid about this, you must be paronoid about everything. Good luck we wont miss you.

Out of interest, just wondering what spread, and rate of infection, and death toll, would cause you to have some concern for your well being? 

Everyone has different risk tolerances.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, URMySunshine said:

Well in a  couple of weeks we will know who is right and who is wrong and whether this is paranoia or informed concern  - hopefully I will be very wrong and I have worried unduly. I have an advanced degree in procrastination and another one in paranoia????????

This is just the start. 

Do not expect any conclusion to this outbreak anytime soon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Out of interest, just wondering what spread, and rate of infection, and death toll, would cause you to have some concern for your well being? 

Everyone has different risk tolerances.  

More people die of the common flu virus. The hysteria over this out break is over the top and people like you just add fuel to the fire.

• Sad 1