Trip to Pattaya on February 10th. Should I cancel it?

dan42

37 minutes ago, Leaver said:

People like me.  Really?

Ahhh, is this "the common flu?"  

No the Corona Virus is much less serious. Do you panic about the flu? Maybe you do, you seem the type. I bet you will share a lift, go into a bar, go anywhere that has a crowd. Maybe you dont breath the same air I do. I also bet you are one of these people who measures air quality every day and takes his blood pressure every 5 minutes.

• Sad 1

Myself personally would almost certainly bail on any anticipated but unbooked trip. If this gets out of control (and it already has) frankly we're likely to find airlines locking down flights.

We're already seeing Cathay Pacific cancelling between HK and London Gatwick amongst dozens of others

As much as I would have normally no problem with an enforced extended stay its not ideal

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 11:41 AM, jimn said:

Dont listen to the scaremongering mate, get yourself over here.

Comedy gold fella lol. That scaremongering as you call it has killed over 800 so far overtaking Sars with 100,000 plus suspected of carrying and being in the incubation period.

Can only assume you're one of these desperate bar managers

17 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

I'm cutting and running as we were due to fly out on 3rd March after a 3 month stay - concerned that flight restrictions might be put in place before then if we leave it to the end. And we have done all we set out to do. If the virus gets a hold in Thailand then I have zero confidence in the Thai authorities to have a handle on this and 10s of millions of Chinese are on lockdown - something pretty terrible is up as much to do with overwhelmed health facilities as morbidity of the  virus no doubt. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/hundreds-of-miles-from-hubei-another-30-million-chinese-are-in-coronavirus-lockdown/2020/02/07/03a08282-48b9-11ea-8a1f-de1597be6cbc_story.html

Spot on fella. This is the real problem about being stranded

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

Comedy gold fella lol. That scaremongering as you call it has killed over 800 so far overtaking Sars with 100,000 plus suspected of carrying and being in the incubation period.

Can only assume you're one of these desperate bar managers

OMG, just looked at your profile and your from Rochester, I am embarassed now that a fellow Brit who comes from Kent like me would feel like you do. No not a bar manager, far from it. Are you actually over here now? If you were you would know that its BAU for Pattaya, except for the missing Chinese. Pleanty of Farang over here Soi Bukeau and LK Metro busy. I have been here since October and go back with my wife in May. No problems here mate. 

11 minutes ago, jimn said:

OMG, just looked at your profile and your from Rochester, I am embarassed now that a fellow Brit who comes from Kent like me would feel like you do. No not a bar manager, far from it. Are you actually over here now? If you were you would know that its BAU for Pattaya, except for the missing Chinese. Pleanty of Farang over here Soi Bukeau and LK Metro busy. I have been here since October and go back with my wife in May. No problems here mate. 

Yes chap am here lol.  Nobody is denying the Chinese Japanese and Koreans have gone awol but your suggestions that areas are busy or the city is remotely busy is laughable in the extreme. Billabong being busy doesnt make Pattaya busy....Perhaps if it was Billabong 2 wouldnt be closing next month.... Covering now 4 decades I can say with ease its the quietest ever and bearing in mind is still "higher" season one can only wonder what it will be like May 1st through November 15th...

No problems as regards coronavirus on the "surface" would be a better description. If airlines are locked down and when airlines like Cathay Pacific cancel flights even to London Gatwick amongst other Euro cities its time to wake up and smell the bacon as to whats coming...

Getting back on topic, does anyone know if the 2 seafood buffet restaurants in Jomtien (Chaiyapruek Rd and Beach Road) are still heaving with Chinese tourists? 

I like to eat there whenever I’m in Jomtien (seafood in CM is exorbitantly expensive) but don’t enjoy the crowds. 

On 2/6/2020 at 11:03 PM, dan42 said:

I'm traveling to Thailand-Pattaya next Monday and honestly I don't know if I should cancel it, due to the damn coronavirus. Is Pattaya a ghost town now as people say? Any advice from people there?

I'd really appreciate if you could provide some insights from the ground.

they are scrubbing the streets just for you right now! come on over you big VIP!

imjhjklageproxy.php.jpg

20 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Getting back on topic, does anyone know if the 2 seafood buffet restaurants in Jomtien (Chaiyapruek Rd and Beach Road) are still heaving with Chinese tourists? 

I like to eat there whenever I’m in Jomtien (seafood in CM is exorbitantly expensive) but don’t enjoy the crowds. 

Getting back on topic lol. To answer your question, I dont know. However, there is no large scale Chinese groups here in Pattaya/Jomtien at the moment, so I would assume the restaurant is very quiet.

28 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Yes chap am here lol.  Nobody is denying the Chinese Japanese and Koreans have gone awol but your suggestions that areas are busy or the city is remotely busy is laughable in the extreme. Billabong being busy doesnt make Pattaya busy....Perhaps if it was Billabong 2 wouldnt be closing next month.... Covering now 4 decades I can say with ease its the quietest ever and bearing in mind is still "higher" season one can only wonder what it will be like May 1st through November 15th...

No problems as regards coronavirus on the "surface" would be a better description. If airlines are locked down and when airlines like Cathay Pacific cancel flights even to London Gatwick amongst other Euro cities its time to wake up and smell the bacon as to whats coming...

Not referring to Billabong, horrible place. Last Tuesday I drove out of Central and turned right down Soi New Plaza and past the bars and Small market at the Central Pattaya end of Soi Baukau. I have never seen the bars busier up that end, they were all very busy. I am a gogo man myself, agree a bit quiet but it varies. Anyway back on subject, personally I am not worried in the slightest about the virus. All the deaths are in China and unless you are old and sick already, in my opinion, just carry on as normal.

some of the blokes laughing this off are the same type who go around barebacking

you can get away with anything until your caught, and nobody wants to hear about it when you are...

this stuff in wuhan does not sound like the flu to me. one guy said a member of his household died and another was in serious condition. flu?

unless the virus is mutating and becoming less virtulent as it spreads, there is a problem here.

4 hours ago, jimn said:

Good I've flipped again - was at the beach football last night in Jomtien - a great match between Latvia and Holland (Latvia won) then not so good Thailand vs Russia. Very few masks apparently nor we - have rationalised the outbreak as follows. Now staying to the end. 

Maybe under the cover of the virus, the Chinese state is using this opportunity to crack down on heavily monitored dissidents easily identified by their online comments and groups and cart them off under cover of protecting citizens and the state. It would then be very easy for them to disappear, possibly forever and have them as being killed by the virus rather than the oppressive, all-seeing, all reaching state.

This could be a 'virus sent' opportunity for China to eliminate a whole tranche of problematic, restless citizens and bring Hong Kong to heel at the same time. 

That would explain why we are not seeing a huge mortality rate and that the Chinese approach is actually spreading global panic rather than a novel profoundly dangerous disease. If so, and I do hope so, then we can all calm down this time - with no need to panic. In fact, this would go a long way to solve the 'virus of freedom' that has taken hold in HK spreading to the rest of the mainland

24 minutes ago, Chivas said:

A sobering thought for all of us its not the virtually zero chance of catching coronavirus but instead the possible fall out from it

As a retiree with comprehensive travel insurance and no pressing need to travel back his could be a nice little earner particularly so since we booked before any of this virus stuff kicked off.....

Edited by URMySunshine

16 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

As a retiree with comprehensive travel insurance and no pressing need to travel back his could be a nice little earner particularly so since we booked before any of this virus stuff kicked off.....

I wonder where I'd stand and doubtless many others who have annual insurance. Current insurance was renewed Oct 2019 and trip I'm currently on booked 5th December (flights)

A posting using copyright material from a forbidden site has been removed also a reply:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:23 PM, fhickson said:

unless the virus is mutating and becoming less virtulent as it spreads, there is a problem here.

And what if it becomes more deadly? 

The corona virus we have today, might not be the same corona virus in 2 months time.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/10/2020 at 11:48 AM, Chivas said:

I wonder where I'd stand and doubtless many others who have annual insurance. Current insurance was renewed Oct 2019 and trip I'm currently on booked 5th December (flights)

Depends if and / or when your Foreign Office issues a travel warning. 

On 2/8/2020 at 1:18 PM, jimn said:

More people die of the common flu virus. The hysteria over this out break is over the top and people like you just add fuel to the fire.

So Coronavirus only kills 3 hearth bypass 85 years old people, anoressics and infants with gentic disease?

31 minutes ago, lavezzi said:

So Coronavirus only kills 3 hearth bypass 85 years old people, anoressics and infants with gentic disease?

Liu Zhiming, director of the Wuchang hospital in Wuhan, has just died from COVID-19. I don't think he, or Dr. Li Wenliang, would fall into the categories you listed. 

On 2/9/2020 at 4:48 PM, Chivas said:

have never tried to collect on travel insurance myself. my thoughts on it are its probably a big hassle and likely not worth the problems with documentation and aggrevation involved.

good luck.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:41 PM, Gweiloman said:

That’s right  Just AIDS infested. Make sure you pack your condoms lol

Rubbish. There's no hospitals in the UK full of tourists back from Pattaya with AIDS.

Does not mean that STDs are not a problem, and anyone using a BG without a condom deserves any STD they may catch.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Rubbish. There's no hospitals in the UK full of tourists back from Pattaya with AIDS.

Does not mean that STDs are not a problem, and anyone using a BG without a condom deserves any STD they may catch.

Heck, since Corona-Virus I have dumped the condoms in favor of face masks. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Heck, since Corona-Virus I have dumped the condoms in favor of face masks. 

I thought it'd be the other way around? 

- still only half installedimage.jpeg.a04f2585714a1e5b5971683ab4124747.jpeg but even the eyes are protected!