How to avoid coronavirus on flights: Forget masks, wash your hands

Kan Win

On 2/6/2020 at 8:19 PM, GeorgeCross said:

ok bud, you go wash your hands.. leave the sensible among us to copy what the doctors are doing

masks on

Of course the doctors are doing it. The W.H.O. said only the sick and those caring for the infected need to wear masks. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Went through Suvarnabhumi at the weekend. Used sanitizing gel on my hands after using the Biometric reader.

Was that available there or did you bring your own?

Win????

On 2/7/2020 at 11:58 AM, NanLaew said:

Masks are for keeping the doctor's, surgeon's and nurses mouth spray IN, not keeping infectious stuff OUT.

If you suspect you already have the flu of any sort, then a mask is essential. However, if you've dodged the bullet, wash your hands or otherwise spend your money on hand sanitizing gel.

And how do you know that you are not that person who has just contracted the virus and are about to spread it around on the plane?

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 7:54 AM, rak sa_ngop said:

"The virus can't survive long on seats or armrests, so physical contact with another person carries the greatest risk of infection on a flight, said David Powell, a physician and medical adviser to the International Air Transport Association. "

According to one of the Youtube presentations I watched, the corona virus can survive for up to a month at a temperature of 2 deg. At a temperature of 40 deg is can still survive up to 1 day.  So the spokesman is correct in saying it can't survive long, as long as you consider 1 month to be a short period of time.

Actually I don't think anybody knows (yet) for sure how long is long  Just be careful.

That's wrong!

Look here:

https://www.teletrader.com/coronavirus-can-live-up-to-9-days-on-surfaces-german-scientists/news/details/51200309

im still wearing on flights. if the sicko in the seat in front of me has a coughing problem i want some sort of barrier available. i dont care what the news says or recommends, im not breathing that s**t without at least putting up some sort of defensive effort.

19 hours ago, Wullie Mercer said:

What about the BIO-METRIC PADS at airports, everyone puts their hand on them, an ideal means to spread the virus no matter how often you wash your hands on any flight. 

I went through Thai immigration on Thursday at Padang Besar station and there was a guy at the immigration desk window wiping the scanner after use with the alcohol gel. He was also asking people to put the gel on their hands.

You would think that if it is done at one immigration desk it would be done at all, but you never know here.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fhickson said:

im still wearing on flights. if the sicko in the seat in front of me has a coughing problem i want some sort of barrier available. i dont care what the news says or recommends, im not breathing that s**t without at least putting up some sort of defensive effort.

Exactly. I had to come across Bangkok the other day and took the same view with MRT and BTS, with other faces only a couple of feet away it is a bit of a concern.

About 75% of the passengers were wearing masks and the majority that were not were westerners.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Exactly. I had to come across Bangkok the other day and took the same view with MRT and BTS, with other faces only a couple of feet away it is a bit of a concern.

About 75% of the passengers were wearing masks and the majority that were not were westerners.

you would be lucky to get a couple feet. peak hour its more like less then a foot...

Edited by fhickson