Luxury liners drop anchor: Excitement as more than 3,000 Germans descend on Samui

webfact

On 2/8/2020 at 4:20 PM, DrTuner said:

I guess I won't be going on a cruise anytime soon. Never saw the appeal.

Likewise.

On 2/8/2020 at 4:20 PM, DrTuner said:

That really does sound like Chinese being bused from one milking station to the next.

Well described IMO. Chilling in Port Vila, Vanuatu one time, having a lazy stroll through a market and some bricks and mortar shops and we where advised on several occasions that if we needed to buy anything buy enough now for 2 days or wait 2 days. Asked why and everyone of them said because a cruise ship is docking that evening and prices will be doubled until it sailed again.

On 2/7/2020 at 11:38 AM, webfact said:

Many of the tourists arrived onshore on bicycles from the cruise ships ...

At face value when you read this it conjures up images of hundreds of Germans riding off the deck of the cruise ship and peddling their way through the water to shore ... would be a funny sight.

bike on cruise ship.jpg

Manager reported that even though the tourists were only visiting from 8 am to 5 pm they were expected to spend 5 million baht in the single day.

But wait! None of them is wearing a facemask!

Kick these white faced tourists out, we don't need their Bakschisch. 

I'm just wondering what the health minister would say? Perhaps they already told him to shut..aeeh be quiet. 

On 2/7/2020 at 2:04 AM, nausea said:

Anyway, there was a window of opportunity when you could catch it and get proper medical care. That's fast closing, methinks. If it does spread and follow the Chinese model, medical services will be overwhelmed. In hindsight I'd have inhaled virus infested air, got sick, got top notch medical care, recovered, and now be immune. Ha!

Sorry to say, you are not "immune" and you are able to  become ill again. This holds for all infectious diseases.  Here is a simple explanation of why;

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Sorry to say, you are not "immune" and you are able to  become ill again. This holds for all infectious diseases.  Here is a simple explanation of why;

Sh*t, back to the drawing board. I think I'll rely on my natural immunity, I knew getting all those rusty nails in my foot as a kid served some purpose. Measles, mumps - I laugh in your face.

19 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I'm at a breakfast buffet in a Samui resort right now, zero Chinese or other Asian guests, only farangs and Thai service around. Bliss. Enjoy it while this lasts.

Bliss that you were around farangs only? This is Thailand. SOUTH EAST ASIA and not caucasian land! 

You have the sheer nerve and audacity to imply that this part of the planet is worth living in without their original inhabitants!

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

800 baht each ? Hardly likely to pay for the lights in the restaurant

You are obviously not familiar with the dire situation of many small restaurants in Samui.  A real blessing and a big difference to survival if they get to cater for an extra few tables of guests.