has anybody ever just flown to a non tourist city in thailand just to get away from farang

yogavnture

Everybody should check out Dannok. Have done a number of border runs from Langkawi. Too much fun!

Hat Yai is the second largest city in Thailand. Have been through here a number of times from Langkawi to Phuket.

Lots of rowdy bars and live music, and anything else that you may desire.

Just do it!

• Like 1

Just now, CGW said:

Sure? thought it was 5th or 6th.

Numbers 2 and 3 are just suburbs of Bangkok. Then it's a toss up between Hat Yai, Chiang Mai and Khorat depending on how you measure the numbers.

5 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Numbers 2 and 3 are just suburbs of Bangkok. Then it's a toss up between Hat Yai, Chiang Mai and Khorat depending on how you measure the numbers.

Yes! seems to depend on who is counting, its bigger than I thought though. ????

2020-02-08 13_21_13-Biggest Cities In Thailand - WorldAtlas.com - Opera.png

Thailand - Opera.png

Edited by CGW
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, seajae said:

Trang is another place with not too many foreign tourists and has an airport, we have been there a few times and it is pretty quiet, good food too, they have some of the best bbq pork in Thailand and some great dim sum shops. Many really nice beaches but you will need to hire a car or bike to get around, lots to see in the region as well

Ive been to trang a few times.  i found it not that interesting . to me anyway.. i find the people in thammarat nicer..........i dont know about thai citys some are rich , some are poor?  i think trang is a poor city while thammarat is pretty well off....?  im an outsider speaking though

17 minutes ago, MAF666 said:

Everybody should check out Dannok. Have done a number of border runs from Langkawi. Too much fun!

Hat Yai is the second largest city in Thailand. Have been through here a number of times from Langkawi to Phuket.

Lots of rowdy bars and live music, and anything else that you may desire.

Just do it!

honestly im a yogi and like silence i dont drink .  so i like quiet.  in thammarat the city pretty much quiet after dark.  i like that.  i suspect songkla similar to thammarat.  if looks like songkla geography is kinda odd though this huge lake in the middle of the city.   i think songkla is the city for me. hat yai too big?  to manage?

3 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

no big c in songkla so now i look at hat yai. hat yai looks really big so i suspect its a busy place and hard to manage on a motobike

If i had to choose Songkla would win every time, lot more laid back, HY caters to Malaysians mainly IMO.

• Like 1

Hat Yai is an authentic Thai city, not many farang tourists or much english spoken.

Great reason to go.

All the possible good food that you can imagine.

Easy to get around on a bike, not too busy. 

Quite quiet, you have to go seeking entertainment.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

no big c in songkla so now i look at hat yai. hat yai looks really big so i suspect its a busy place and hard to manage on a motobike

There's a Tesco Lotus Extra in Songkhla plus a couple of Big C Minis 

23 hours ago, yogavnture said:

sometimes i just fly into a city that has an airport and just go exploring.  kind of nice to be the only farang around...

i do this on my motorcycle in Thailand. 35,000 kilometers so far.

go here, you will get some "what is the space alien doing here?" looks:

https://goo.gl/maps/DVaBxTcqm45qXjoJA

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CGW said:

HY caters to Malaysians mainly IMO.

Yes, they are the staple of tourism here, and a good fit with a city whose population is a mix of Thai-Chinese and Thai-Malay. 

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Yes! seems to depend on who is counting, its bigger than I thought though. 

But those numbers only report the populations for mueang Hat Yai, or mueang Chiang Mai. They don't include the surrounding districts which are integral to the city. Greater Hat Yai has a population of about 800,000 the population of Greater Chiang Mai is I think similar.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stocky said:

But those numbers only report the populations for mueang Hat Yai, or mueang Chiang Mai. They don't include the surrounding districts which are integral to the city. Greater Hat Yai has a population of about 800,000 the population of Greater Chiang Mai is I think similar.

Seems to be near impossible to come up with accurate numbers, this was the best I could find.

2020.png.b79e9d2abaeb867287521bbf40a78e2d.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CGW said:

If i had to choose Songkla would win every time, lot more laid back, HY caters to Malaysians mainly IMO.

i know .  what im looking for is decent massage shops that will massage farang.  a decent gym with a treadmill..  and vegetable market. in songkla is thier a municipal market i  can get good veggies and fruit. ?

1 minute ago, yogavnture said:

in songkla is thier a municipal market i  can get good veggies and fruit. ?

For sure, I have never been in any Thai city of any size that doesn't have a good fruit & vegetable market, no idea where they are though! more of a seedy bar person ???? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

I'd say, Pattaya is the 2nd biggest city of Thailand. Not measured by people registered in a Tabien Bahn, but residents. And no, i don't live there, we stay in Khlong Rang, Songkhla.

IMG_20191209_104940.jpg

• Like 2

i took the bus from Mo Chit to Sukhothai in December one year.  A very scenic 7 hour ride with a stop for lunch.  Very few foreigners were at the ruins and I loved it for a few days.  I did not get around much and there did not seem to be much going on in the city, but that was fine with me.  Wandering around the old ancient temples and buildings.

Took the bus from Pattaya to Khorat once.  Did not do much in the city but sure enjoyed the tram rides around the zoo. 

4 minutes ago, jimn said:

"Not many Farang" why is that? Are you Muslim yourself? Are you racist? Sounds like it to me. Get yourself off to China mate, no Farangs there 

He's probably a Vegan.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2020 at 9:29 PM, yogavnture said:

I  posted this thread because i go to nakorn si thammarat.  and really like it thier.  no veggie restaurants i really like but all the veggies are in the market and i found a nice quiet hotel that will cook for me.  decent massage their and good gyms .  thats all i need to keep me happy................the thais in thammarat have to be the freindliest in thailand...........so now im thinking of going farther afoot......i saw the lakes on google maps of songkhla and the city looks like its in a interesting geological spot........no airport  though??

My least favorite province. With all the money racing to the islands and back it's always struck me as very scammy. The Muslims are indifferent and cliquish. I'll admit I've not spent a great deal of time there not really explored the place.

I like camping on islands to getaway but there are often huge daytripper numbers of farang these past years. But they leave at day's end