Why is a co-curricular programme so important in a school?

Why is a co-curricular programme so important in a school?

by Mr. Thomas Banyard

KCS_Thailand_00354-1170x780.jpg

I went to a school with one football team, one basketball team and one rugby team for around 800 students. I was never involved in drama or music and the art teaching I received gave me the clear message that I was no good and should not be allowed within ten metres of a paintbrush. I had some excellent teachers who inspired me to academic excellence, but I had to find other opportunities to develop myself away from school. This made me feel that my education was about exam results and nothing else. For me, school was simply a means to get to university, something we all had to do whether we liked it or not. I loved school, but if it wasn’t for the support of my family who drove me around to endless clubs and matches, I would have been a very bored and unhappy young person.

It was only once I started working in some of the UK’s best private schools that I realised what a true education involved. Having world-class facilities and outstanding teachers who taught both inside and outside their classrooms meant that so much more was possible. School musicals and plays, house events, choir practices, art and sport that focussed on participation and not just the elite sportspeople. My eyes were opened to the fact that everyone could enjoy school whether they were academic or not. A large part of this is a commitment to a co-curricular programme which works alongside the academic curriculum to help the students enjoy their time at school.

There are two reasons why the co-curricular programme is so important: it gives every student a large number of opportunities to achieve success and it gives them a variety of experiences that open their eyes and engage them in new interests.

Full Story: https://expatlifeinthailand.com/education/why-is-a-co-curricular-programme-so-important-in-a-school/

expat.png

-- © Copyright Expat Life in Thailand
  • Confused 1

the school my child goes, knows we will change

suddenly when school fee is paid for this semester, they came up, if you want a chance to study next year (no we don't) we - they told me child, not me-  to pay NOW for next semester...

mhhhh... not stupid ... on their own crappy outdated facebook page states, semester 1 (for next year) only have to be paid in May

the class of 25 students my child is in, will have 8 students left ????   woehahahha

"international program" my <deleted>... teachers bored to tell stuck up students to be quiet ...  management that let extravert bully type children to run the school as they please....

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 8:52 AM, justin case said:

suddenly when school fee is paid for this semester, they came up, if you want a chance to study next year (no we don't) we - they told me child, not me-  to pay NOW for next semester...

mhhhh... not stupid ... on their own crappy outdated facebook page states, semester 1 (for next year) only have to be paid in May

the class of 25 students my child is in, will have 8 students left ????   woehahahha

"international program" my <deleted>... teachers bored to tell stuck up students to be quiet ...  management that let extravert bully type children to run the school as they please....

You get what you pay for as far as schools are concerned here.  Don't be surprised with mediocre or poor results if you can't pay the piper.

Many schools do this - paying for the following year. Schools need to plan their budget allocation, employ teachers, buy resources, etc. They need a fair estimate of how many students are returing to the school. I know many of my students have already paid for next term. They can still try to get into other schools, and if sucessful, they will forfeit about 60K baht (ha;d a year of fees). 

I am assuming you are referring to a Thai school that adopts some form of 'International Program'? 

The sort of stuff you describe wouldn't go on at any 'real' international school. 

There are a number of Thai public secondaries which have excellent extra-curriculars. In fact, a few can compete with the internationals in select  activities. Thailand often takes gold's, numerous medals in academic Olympics abroad. There are a half dozen well funded private Thai K12 schools as well that offer exceptional learning environments. Both of these types of institutions access international exchange programs as well. Unless parents have plans to send their child abroad international schools are a waste of money. They won't give the Thai student a rigorous grounding in Thai language. They may very well be at a disadvantage in Thai labor market. Finally, all the high ranking schools have very solid alumni networks. All high achieving Thai students need English fluency, few need a fancy school at 600-1m baht per year.

For a variety of reasons I think it's fine to ask parents to pay at least the term four months in advance. There are a lot of Thai's especially that struggle to come up with fees. Even more so M1, M4 when huge numbers of students vying for better schools. Some secondaries have become quite dastardly. For instance scheduling their M4 exam on the same day as Triam Udom Suksa's. About 13k kids sit for that exam. If you fail, you have no HS.

Edited by Number 6

On 3/7/2020 at 4:58 PM, Number 6 said:

Unless parents have plans to send their child abroad international schools are a waste of money. They won't give the Thai student a rigorous grounding in Thai language.

Therein lies the reason for sending your child to the best international school you can afford.  Unless you want the child to graduate and head to a top school in Thailand like Chula, Mahidol, etc. - no thanks.

And some do give a rigorous grounding in Thai language.  For some, Thai language is a mandatory ECA in the early years.  That, together with an emphasis on Thai at home (which IMHO is about as equally important an educational environment as school), gives an effective rigorous grounding in the language.

On 3/13/2020 at 11:18 AM, Angry Dragon said:

Therein lies the reason for sending your child to the best international school you can afford.  Unless you want the child to graduate and head to a top school in Thailand like Chula, Mahidol, etc. - no thanks.

Well, most Thai parents and foreign as well don't have a 20 million baht to drop on their kids high school and university education. If you go this route it makes zero financial sense for the individual to return to Thailand. That money is never going to be recouped. Better invest it at 12yo and let the kid collect at 50.

Depending on the faculty both the school's you'd mentioned you could do far worse. If you're staying in Thailand you'd be well positioned.

Must be nice to have your money.