BANGKOK
Misab

Electric cars

Why does Nissan Leaf (Electric car) have a starting price of 1.900.000 Baths in Thailand, when starting price in Europe is 1.100.000 Bahts. Does Nissan i Thailand by the way live up to European standard?  (European price mentioned are from Sweden and Denmark) 

Not exactly sure, but I think the Thai price includes Thai import and or sale taxes also, 

Edited by sirineou

This sums it all up. I still don't understand how they come up with their prices though. Even with it all laid out in a chart like this. It seems like they are simply overcharging. Thai government has no interest in supporting the people to buy them. No incentives whatsoever. 

Best value in Thailand at the moment is the MG ZS EV. Stay away from the Nissan as they don't do well in the hot climate as they have no battery cooling, whereas the MG has liquid cooling to keep the battery temp stable.

IMG_3866.jpeg.2947a46a33b121fda4319d514cdf0bee.jpeg

Edited by madhav
  • Like 1

Because they estimate that by selling the car for 1.9 million they make the most profit. Many things in Thailand are more expensive than in Europe, often way more than any import duties or transport costs would justify.

• Like 1

Saw one of those MGs a couple of days ago near Chiang Mai.   wow, that thing had some acceleration 🙂

Acceleration compared to what, a tuk-tuk? The MG acceleration of 0-100kph in 8.2 seconds is tame, especially for an EV.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, Samuel Smith said:

Saw one of those MGs a couple of days ago near Chiang Mai.   wow, that thing had some acceleration 🙂

Was it being towed....😂

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2020 at 10:49 PM, madhav said:

I still don't understand how they come up with their prices though...Thai government has no interest in supporting the people to buy them. No incentives whatsoever. 

I am against government incentives--things should survive or die on their own. But I too wonder why can't the cost of EVs in Thailand be comparable to other countries? These prices are a rip off. Who wants to pay twice as much as people elsewhere for the same thing. It got me thinking, what if Tesla comes to Thailand because Tesla doesn't do dealerships. You buy direct from the Tesla web site. That could very well lead to excellent pricing in Thailand by cutting out the greedy Thai middlemen lining their pockets for no value add and raising the price of EVs above what the common man can afford. But alas, I have heard nothing forecast about Tesla coming to Thailand for any of their products. The EV market in Thailand seems lost in hopeless price gouging for the foreseeable future.

12 hours ago, canopy said:

I am against government incentives--things should survive or die on their own. But I too wonder why can't the cost of EVs in Thailand be comparable to other countries? These prices are a rip off. Who wants to pay twice as much as people elsewhere for the same thing. It got me thinking, what if Tesla comes to Thailand because Tesla doesn't do dealerships. You buy direct from the Tesla web site. That could very well lead to excellent pricing in Thailand by cutting out the greedy Thai middlemen lining their pockets for no value add and raising the price of EVs above what the common man can afford. But alas, I have heard nothing forecast about Tesla coming to Thailand for any of their products. The EV market in Thailand seems lost in hopeless price gouging for the foreseeable future.

If you are against government incentives, then you would be disturbed to know how much money most governments (aka tax payers) pump into the fossil fuel industry and the ICE style auto industry.

We have been supporting them for years through various ways, it is just not discussed so openly. Thailand is no different. Why do you think these outdated diesel pickups are cheap and you see them everywhere? It starts with the manufacturing, refinement of fossil fuels and goes all the way to the top with tax cuts to the big companies.

The auto parts industry represents more than 10% of Thailands GDP. That is huge!

The BEV and the electric motor (with only a handful of parts that requires basically no maintenance) represents a genuine threat to the industry. 

We have tech and EV’s available right now that would disrupt the local ICE based industry and put them out of business for ever. 500km range with 15-80% DC charge in 10 min. Million km battery life without degradation. ICE industry keeps the fake news going and we hear misinformation. 

There are several countries that have mandated no more petrol and diesel cars will be even allowed on the roads within 10-15 years. What do you think will replace them? 

Thailand is so far behind but let’s hope things will change, I think they will have to adapt or die.. 

However for the average consumer like you and me it is annoying to see what we miss out on. And what we do get is so overpriced and unattractive. The new mini electric (Which has outdated tech) can be had for 600k baht in the USA after incentives (2.3 million baht here). Or Peugeot e-208 can be had in Europe for 800k. There are so many other other options like skoda not even mentioning Tesla. 

Edited by madhav
  • Like 1

Car pricing in Thailand is just stupid. Too many fingers in the pie. I saw some adverts for the e-Mini...around £60k!!  its about three times the UK price! I understand they are assembled here, including battery packs, so I don't know how they justify that pricing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HauptmannUK said:

Car pricing in Thailand is just stupid. Too many fingers in the pie. I saw some adverts for the e-Mini...around £60k!!  its about three times the UK price! I understand they are assembled here, including battery packs, so I don't know how they justify that pricing.

Easy mate...TAX

20 hours ago, thainet said:

Easy mate...TAX

I don't think its that easy....  8% tax on Thai assembled EV's. Tax nowhere near explains the difference.

I know that a Thai firm, Energy Absolute, took orders for their electric Mine Mobility Spa1 car at last year's Bangkok motor show - it should be cheaper than a Leaf but no idea when it will be released. 

3 hours ago, jadee said:

I know that a Thai firm, Energy Absolute, took orders for their electric Mine Mobility Spa1 car at last year's Bangkok motor show - it should be cheaper than a Leaf but no idea when it will be released. 

The price for that car is 1.2 million baht. For the specs that it has, it is ridiculously expensive. Especially  considering there are no import taxes or anything.

1.2 million baht is actually what a Tesla model 3 costs (before any subsidies) in the USA. If one were to put these 2 car side by side and see how they compare. It would be an absolute joke.

Edited by madhav
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 8:17 PM, canopy said:

Acceleration compared to what, a tuk-tuk? The MG acceleration of 0-100kph in 8.2 seconds is tame, especially for an EV.

Sadly the acceleration figures emphasized for electric cars are because the low speed torque is better than ICE (internal combustion engine) but it is also to distract us from the real issue. 

They have not yet been able to solve the pitiful range of electric cars compared to ICE. 

Acceleration numbers are for journalists and bar chats.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2