Can I extend my 30-day visa exempt stamp on the last day?

I blew off going to the immigration office today, but only just realized that it's Friday, and Monday is Buddha's Birthday.  My Departure Card is stamped for exit on the 11th, Tuesday.  I hope to go to immigration on Tuesday, same day I'm supposed to leave, and extend for another 30 days.  I read that if they deny me an extension I will automatically get an extra seven days to depart.  Is that true?

I'm hoping they won't fuss too much about it, but wondering if I should just run to KL for a few days to be safe.  Any advice?

Leaving it to the last day is not a good idea, but should normally not be a problem. If you are not staying in a hotel, ensure a TM30 notification was done by the housemaster wherever you are staying (not required at all immigration offices, but necessary at most).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SnugglePuma said:

I read that if they deny me an extension I will automatically get an extra seven days to depart.  Is that true?

Generally, yes, but see my comment about the TM30. Some offices will refuse to provide any service whatsoever if a TM30 notification has not been done.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Mr Smithy said:

Giving 'benefit of doubt' is not something immigration officers are noted for doing.

Really?  Most of the reviews of the Krabi immigration office say they take your money, do the paperwork for you, and send you on your way in 15 minutes.  I guess I'll ask the hotel if they're in compliance.  I recall reading that TM30 disputes for people who are just on tourist visas are usually sorted out with a quick call to your hotel.

• Like 1

I am just a member like you and with the little knowledge that I have, I would like to say that the hotel will be fined a big sum for not reporting your stay with in 24 hours of your check in. And I imagine that you may also be fined. Since the senior members did not bring this matter, I decided to mention it. I am sure that as your post gets more views, some one will mention it. 

2 minutes ago, Ravi98008 said:

I am just a member like you and with the little knowledge that I have, I would like to say that the hotel will be fined a big sum for not reporting your stay with in 24 hours of your check in. And I imagine that you may also be fined. Since the senior members did not bring this matter, I decided to mention it. I am sure that as your post gets more views, some one will mention it. 

Frankly, considering the volume of tourists passing through Krabi, I really doubt they make a fuss about the TM30.  From what I've read it's technically the hotel's responsibility, not mine.  But that's not to say that Thai authorities are applying the law consistently in all places at all times.

As a last resort there's a 6PM flight to KL that's only $35.  I'm not terribly worried about it.  Gonna get my bags packed just in case, go to immigration first thing in the morning and be remorseful and very polite ???? 

I might even call them on Monday to see if there's an off chance they could be open on the holiday...

• Like 1

Regarding making a fuss about the TM 30, I imagine that (guessing) when they enter your passport number, they have to get some sort of response from their server, which I presume the hotel reporting your stay. If nothing pops up on the screen then a fuss will be generated..... As far as packing your bags, and making a phone call... I would recommend just chill and relax, you are really taking it too serious. Instead consentrate on where to stay the next 30 days. You can explore the country. And remember to ask the senior members if you have to report your stay to the immigration office with in 24 hours every time you move from one city to another city or place, as you go along spending the additional 30 days they grant. 30 days extensions are cash cows in Thailand and are processed very rapidly, in hundreds daily. Each extension is worth Bhat 1900 B . 

3 hours ago, SnugglePuma said:

Really?  Most of the reviews of the Krabi immigration office say they take your money, do the paperwork for you, and send you on your way in 15 minutes.  I guess I'll ask the hotel if they're in compliance.  I recall reading that TM30 disputes for people who are just on tourist visas are usually sorted out with a quick call to your hotel.

First of all, it's not Buddha's birthday on Monday. Second, you're here as a tourist and imo you won't have any problem with the TM30 report. 

1 hour ago, dastott said:

When is the earliest one can apply for a 30 day extension on a 30 day exemption? Thanks.

Norm is a week or so early but it depends upon the office you apply at. Some will accept it a couple of weeks early.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dastott said:

Thanks, I was fearing that. I'll be in Krabi FWIW. Would have been great to do it at the start of the first 30 days, not in the middle.

You can ask at the local office. They might do it. There are no set rules so it’s entirely down to the office processing the application.

21 hours ago, Max69xl said:

First of all, it's not Buddha's birthday on Monday.

It's Makha Bucha Day (or Magha Puja Day in some countries). It is the day when Buddha delivered his first sermons to a gathhering of 1200 monks in Rajgir, India. 

1 hour ago, Vascoda said:
On 2/8/2020 at 7:47 PM, Max69xl said:

First of all, it's not Buddha's birthday on Monday.

It's Makha Bucha Day (or Magha Puja Day in some countries). It is the day when Buddha delivered his first sermons to a gathhering of 1200 monks in Rajgir, India.

Saturday was Makha Bucha day. Monday is a public holiday (substitution for Saturday) but not a Buddhist holiday.

If your extension was to a certain date .....why would they NOT handle an extension on the day BEFORE that date and even on the final day. I once arrived at Swampy with 6 days left on my permission to stay ( based on retirement).....the IO at the airport seemed a little perplexed but eventually stamped me in and said ...you stay only 6 days ....my reply of YES ...seemed to make him happy . I applied for my new extension  3 days later.