Mother and daughters told 'too big' for business class

rooster59

59 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes ....  and that's what they failed to mention in the article. And if they have any legal recourse then that would be what needs confirming i expect. It didn't even say if they eventually flew or not. Usual vague thai media reporting.  

And six months old.

I really don't see the point. Oh! Its the BBC and they're women. Obviously victims.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JWRC said:

The staff would not have meant anything detrimental, it's just the Thai way,

Yes....we know this , but if you are working as a representative of an international airline , you would have thought they might have had some training on how to tactfully deal with foreign passengers. Not everyone in the world is Thai anymore than any other nationality. 

When I first arrived here I was intrigued by the use of tactless nicknames and decided to delve further. Some are harmless enough and non offensive like ...red, or small or rain etc. but others like fatty or pig can be hurtful even to a Thai. 

On a few occasions I discreetly asked fat girls in my classes how they felt about being called fatty or pig and they told me that although it was hurtful it was just something they had to put up with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

an 11-hour flight back to Auckland was meant to be a treat for Renell and Tere after undergoing weight-loss surgery in the city of Bangkok.

It looks like the surgery really gave the expected results. I can not for my life understand why they would refuse such slim persons their seat. I just wonder if only one person was able to fit in the photo before the operation. ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

The disgusting behavior of the Thai Airways staff is only matched by the nasty, infantile humor displayed by many Thaivisa members here.

But, if you look at the picture, and then imagine the size of an airplane. Then it gets a little bit funny, right? Or?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JWRC said:

This is what I love about Thailand, they will usually say it how it is, but with no nasty stigma, if your fat, your fat, if your a boy wearing lipstick, so what, not like the west where you are called names for being slightly different. The staff would not have meant anything detrimental, it's just the Thai way, so before you jump up and down old Croc and use the word disgusting, remember where you are, the people and the culture, it's all good.

So how come regularly there are news items about Thais wanting to sue other Thais for defamation, loss of face etc., etc?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Rows of people watched as they measured us

I also would watch them without measuring because I can´t believe that a whole family is so fat.

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The staff were shouting 'too big, too big' at us repeatedly

Sure, a slim Thai can´t imagine that people can be sooooo big.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, brucec64 said:

This is not related to seat size but rather to the seat belt. Business class seats have an airbag built into the seat belt and the belt cannot be extended. The seat belt in economy can be extended. 

That is truly correct, I am a big guy, and I fly business class on Cathay Pacific all the time, and they have airbags in their seat belts, and they have no problem when I ask them to give me a seat belt extension, or any other airlines. Thai airlines did mention a long time ago that passengers with waists more than 55" wouldn't be able to fly in business class due to the seat belts.

Edited by dsj
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

I also would watch them without measuring because I can´t believe that a whole family is so fat.

Sure, a slim Thai can´t imagine that people can be sooooo big.

It's been mentiond that these folks are polynesian, they are all big like this.

5 hours ago, brucec64 said:

This is not related to seat size but rather to the seat belt. Business class seats have an airbag built into the seat belt and the belt cannot be extended. The seat belt in economy can be extended. 

I am also astonished that this important fact was overlooked?

As far as I remember the first article I read, it also specific to some plane/seat type where they can not simply use extensions.

Edited by KhunBENQ

The particular aircraft type used states in the safety manual that a seatbelt extension in the business class seating is not allowed due to safety reasons.

As can be seen by the photos the waistline being over 54 inches (I think) is a no go.

In economy all the seats except bulkhead & (or )fire exit a seat belt extension is allowed.

Thai did the right thing but maybe not in a very diplomatic manner.

If you are that big you need to accept that there are some things you are just not going to be able to do like sitting in the seat I am in right now  555

This is old news by the way

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

So what other seat options could that be?

Typically business class seats are quite a bit bigger than Economy seats.

First class pretty much same as business in terms of size and Thai not likely to upgrade to First, so what other options are there?

I wonder if the Thai conditions of carriage mention anything about limits on body size?

It wasn't the seat size, it was the seat belt. The seat belts in business class can't be extended and they were to big for the belts.

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

I would hardly think traumatised ,  embarrassed maybe but that's about all.

If there is a stated maximum measurement allowed on occupying the seats and if they were over that parameter then the Thai airways staff have to act accordingly and refuse them permission, then find them a location that is acceptable to the airline.

Wiv the luggage down below.....

But, they could wait until horse boxes were being flown out, or sue Mcdonalds.....????

6 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Nothing wrong. When I pay for expensive BC I don't want that half of my seat is occupied by another person's fat. Let them pay for two seats in bc each or use seats next to another overweight

I guess you have never traveled business class then as Thai and almost all other airlines have pod seats. No way to join two together.