Mother and daughters told 'too big' for business class

rooster59

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

yes ....  and that's what they failed to mention in the article. And if they have any legal recourse then that would be what needs confirming i expect. It didn't even say if they eventually flew or not. Usual vague thai media reporting.  

Click the link they flew economy back, also it's a BBC story. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Asians can be quite polite. But discretion...? well ummm...

That being said the modern world is becoming very literate, so nuance is also on the decline.

Oh and forgot that almost everyone today is offended.

The last Thai lady that came at me with a measuring tape shouting too big, I felt quite pleased. We strapped ourselves in and enjoyed the ride. 

There was an article a while back in which Thai Airways said that the seats in Business Class on their new aircraft, sorry, but cannot remember which plane they were talking about, were reduced in size over previous Business Class seats.  Therefore, all the staff had to do was show the regulation and then there would be no further need for the passengers to argue or complain.

To answer the question by other poster concerning how the three females arrived in Thailand, I have to inform you that you are all wrong.  They had hired the Antonov An-225 which is the world`s heaviest aircraft and has a maximum takeoff weight greater than 640 tons.  There's only one of them. 

'nuf sed.

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2020 at 9:47 AM, crazygreg44 said:

If I was any of them, I would sue them in IATA terms for violating my right to be seated in my booked class

Luckily not every country has the option to become an instant milionair

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

It's been mentiond that these folks are polynesian, they are all big like this.

Sure, Polynesians do have heavier builds, and that has been the case for ages, however being of heavy build and really fat are two different things.

There are several reasons why people from these areas get fat, and a few are that obesity is considered a sign of wealth, feasting and festivals are quite commonplace, they have a poor exercise regime in general, and the importing of cheap and processed foods, one of those being "mutton flaps" from New Zealand, which are almost all fat.

It is within their own grasp to be able to cut down on this cr@p food and exercise more, so there is no real excuse for getting to this size.

On 2/8/2020 at 9:14 AM, steven100 said:

yes ....  and that's what they failed to mention in the article. And if they have any legal recourse then that would be what needs confirming i expect. It didn't even say if they eventually flew or not. Usual vague thai media reporting.  

The BBC is a Thai media company?

On 2/8/2020 at 9:55 AM, steven100 said:

I would hardly think traumatised ,  embarrassed maybe but that's about all.

If there is a stated maximum measurement allowed on occupying the seats and if they were over that parameter then the Thai airways staff have to act accordingly and refuse them permission, then find them a location that is acceptable to the airline.

There is a weight restriction, I think about 120 kilos 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

Good news.  Now lets start this in cattle class too.  Sick & tired of paying 40K to Europe & getting half a seat because they let lard-asses on.  Weigh them AND their luggage & charge accordingly.

Yeah that's a problem and weight restrictions apply, that's if they apply them.

The seat belts in these particular biz class seats are fitted with built-in airbags and have restrictions. Seats without airbags, such as in economy class have no airbags and can be extended with a seat belt extension. Don't think extensions work with the airbag belts. 

On 2/8/2020 at 10:04 AM, scorecard said:

So what other seat options could that be?

Typically business class seats are quite a bit bigger than Economy seats.

First class pretty much same as business in terms of size and Thai not likely to upgrade to First, so what other options are there?

I wonder if the Thai conditions of carriage mention anything about limits on body size?

The new seats fitted in the 787 business class are fitted with air bags with a limited length on the seat belt.

On 2/8/2020 at 3:47 PM, crazygreg44 said:

unfortunately I yet have to see any business class seats which are such closely fitted together, that one fat person could occupy both seats

many BC seats are actually small single cabins nowadays, in many airplane types

If I was any of them, I would sue them in IATA terms for violating my right to be seated in my booked class. Also, for not being able to produce seat belt extensions for Business Class seats, which was apparently the true reason they were refused by the Thai staff. Just another "We cannot loose face" story . . . .

I use to fly Qatar business class, and they GOT seat belt extensions in BC . . . 

This incident should cost Thai Airways a few points in ranking among World's airlines, for them just to remember to treat their passengers respectfully

Great to see a sensible answer rather than the insulting remarks by most the posters here where you all seem too stupid to realize that actually these insults rather than badly demaean these three ladies actually lessens all you as people.

And furthermore I wouldn't be surprised if many of the posters are actually fat old Europeans here on retiremenet visas chasing young girls who are way to smart for you and scamming every dollar they can out of you.

• Like 1

A number of offensive troll posts and the replies have been removed.

Posts making comments on moderation have been removed.  Moderators are not able to review each and every post that is posted, that is why there is a Report button on every post for members to report objectionable content: 

• Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately via the report function. We do have the ability to remove objectionable messages and will make every effort to do so if we determine that removal is necessary. Please use the report button only for posts in blatant violation of the forum rules. Misuse of the report button is not allowed. Removal is a manual process so please realize we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. Responding to objectionable messages is discouraged.

On 2/8/2020 at 8:49 AM, rooster59 said:

Instead, the sisters and their mother, Huhana, were left ''traumatised'' by Thai Airways staff who came at them with tape measures telling them they were ''too big'' for their business class seats.

I see nothing wrong with what the airline did.  Consider, they consider your luggage overweight if you are 1 kg more than the allotted weight.  Why shouldn't the airlines also have guidelines on passengers.  I have sat next to heavy passengers who were too large for one seat and their girth extended into my seat.  They should be forced to buy two seats rather than infringe on the comfort of other passengers who do fit into a single seat. 

The English fluency of the Thai Airways staff may not have been adequate to explaining the problem using polite language.  Give them a break!  The sensationalizing of this incident is similar to the reaction to the language that the health minister used when he apparently was stung when a foreigner refused a face mask from him.  Give the people a break!  The media sensationalizes everything.  We are all going to have nervous breakdowns if we can't calm down a bit.

• Haha 1

What I do not see mentioned is that these women won a trip on a reality TV  programme to get the surgery. Obviously it takes months if not years for them to lose weight. 

The TV show also sends people for plastic surgery to Thailand to get what ever "fixed".

Where was the fly on the wall TV film crew when all this fat shaming was going on at BKK?

I also agree with comments about excess baggage. Someone who weighs 140 Kg turns up with a 30 kg bag and no problem. Someone who turns up weighing 50 kg and has a 35 Kg bag has to pay.......The Maths do not add up. It is plain wrong

Or is it Plane Wrong...?

Every one loves to get in the news these days and this story is over 6 months old I think?

Currently I am cultivating a a small lump on my face so that I go and see Dr Pimmple Popper in 8 years time when it is the size of  football.......anything to get my 15 mins of fame......:)))))

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

The English fluency of the Thai Airways staff may not have been adequate to explaining the problem using polite language.  Give them a break!  The sensationalizing of this incident is similar to the reaction to the language that the health minister used when he apparently was stung when a foreigner refused a face mask from him.  Give the people a break!  The media sensationalizes everything.  We are all going to have nervous breakdowns if we can't calm down a bit.

Elsewhere it isn't appropriate for members of the opposite sex to search passengers or to touch them with their hand held scanners (the rule used to be a min of 4" between pax and wand). I have lost count of how many times I have had a deliberate poke in the knackers or been blatently hoovered, on camera, by a 20 something know-it-all who either has no idea where their parameters lie or frankly couldn't care less; particularly at Swampy.

Edited by evadgib

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Elsewhere it isn't appropriate for members of the opposite sex to search passengers or to touch them with their hand held scanners (the rule used to be a min of 4" between pax and wand). I have lost count of how many times I have had a deliberate poke in the knackers or been blatently hoovered, on camera, by a 20 something know-it-all who either has no idea where their parameters lie or frankly couldn't care less; particularly at Swampy.

Flown a lot in the past ten years, and have never experienced that.