Trying to renew A-O visa at Korat Immigration

My story of trying to renew my A-0 visa based on retirement at Korat Immigration. Well I didn’t expect to get it renewed on the first try and I was right. The first thing they said was my insurance policy was not listed on the Immigration Long Stay Insurance data base. Then since I was verifying my income with a 6-month bank statement that reflected monthly deposits of at least 65,000 baht they wanted a document stating where the money was coming from. (i.e. Company pension, government pension, etc.) On top of that they wanted a Bank Guarantee document. Now I can understand why a bank guarantee is needed for a lump sum income verification but I cannot understand why one would be needed for a monthly amount. Of course, no one there could explain why it was needed.

So, make sure your insurance broker or insurance company has registered your insurance policy on the data base and have proof of where your income is coming from if you are using the monthly proof of income.

I would suggest that you go to renew your visa a couple weeks before it expires in case problems arise.

I will post again once I have my second try. I still have 14 days till my visa expires.

• Like 2

You apparently were trying to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement that extended a entry from a OA visa. You cannot renew a OA visa at immigration.

Are you sure they were accepting 6 months of transfers from abroad. Unless this is your first extension the requirement is 12 months of transfers.

They were wanting proof of the source of your income prove you were not moving the money in and out to prove your income.

They want a letter from the bank confirming you account is valid. That is a standard requirement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

they wanted a document stating where the money was coming from. (i.e. Company pension, government pension, etc.)

Perhaps they're after something along these lines:-

http://www.pcecnews.com/permNL/Example-BankLetter-Monthly-Deposits.pdf

Might be worth your while specifically checking this with them on Tuesday (they'll be closed on Monday for the Makha Bucha Substitution Holiday).

4 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Perhaps they're after something along these lines:-

http://www.pcecnews.com/permNL/Example-BankLetter-Monthly-Deposits.pdf

Might be worth your while specifically checking this with them on Tuesday (they'll be closed on Monday for the Makha Bucha Substitution Holiday).

Looks almost like the statement I got from the bank which was Krung Thai.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You apparently were trying to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement that extended a entry from a OA visa. You cannot renew a OA visa at immigration.

Are you sure they were accepting 6 months of transfers from abroad. Unless this is your first extension the requirement is 12 months of transfers.

They were wanting proof of the source of your income prove you were not moving the money in and out to prove your income.

They want a letter from the bank confirming you account is valid. That is a standard requirement.

Yes Joe it is an extension but I call it a renewal. Slap my hand. Yes immigration did accept the 6 month statement the bank provided (cost 100 baht) but I did have a copy of my bank book going back a year with all the deposits highlighted.

Other documents were, completed TM7 with photo, copy of passport (all pages with a stamp), copy of wife's ID card, copy of wife's house book, the bank information and the insurance info (copy of insurance ID card and a copy of the policy.

Many offices are wanting a 12 month bank statement. Good news if they accepted a 6 month bank statement with your your bank book showing the rest of them. Now you just need the bank letter confirming your account.

I assume your insurance is from one the companies shown here. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Looks almost like the statement I got from the bank which was Krung Thai.

In which case I seriously wonder, then, whether Korat might, in fact, be after a 12-month version of the 6-month statement you obtained. Don't know about Krung Thai, but I do know that Bangkok Bank don't issue such statements on the spot (like they do 6-month statements), and that these usually take a couple of days to produce. Korat may well be on the lookout as to whether each transfer has been suitably coded so to indicate its foreign origin (i.e. the Krung Thai equivalent of Bangkok Bank's FTT code).

Edited by OJAS

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Many offices are wanting a 12 month bank statement. Good news if they accepted a 6 month bank statement with your your bank book showing the rest of them. Now you just need the bank letter confirming your account.

I assume your insurance is from one the companies shown here. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Yes it is Thai Health Insurance. I have had them for 12 years but had to add O/P coverage this year.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If that gets sorted out with immigration then all you is the letter from the bank to confirm your account.

Here is an example of one. bank letter.pdf

That is redacted a bit, but I want to ask if it states the balance at the time or not?

(I keep forgetting to copy mine).

Edited by jacko45k

2 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Yes it is Thai Health Insurance. I have had them for 12 years but had to add O/P coverage this year.

Curiosity killed the cat, but what's the name of your thai insurance-company, and how much did they charge you to add the additional 40K out-patient coverage?

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Curiosity killed the cat, but what's the name of your thai insurance-company, and how much did they charge you to add the additional 40K out-patient coverage?

The name of the company is Thai Health Insurance Company. They do not have a 40,000 O/P coverage for my policy as it has very high limits. I added a 60,000 O/P coverage rider to my existing plan for 31,000 baht................I am 72 years old.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

The name of the company is Thai Health Insurance Company. They do not have a 40,000 O/P coverage for my policy as it has very high limits. I added a 60,000 O/P coverage rider to my existing plan for 31,000 baht................I am 72 years old.

Hi Rdrokit,

I did PM you some info of relevance in case you should experience trouble with the health-insurance policy your OA - retirement extension now requires.

To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

21 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Yes Joe it is an extension but I call it a renewal. Slap my hand

You're getting an extension of stay. You're not renewing a visa. The visa you originally had was an O-A, not an AO. You're asking for help because you clearly never bothered to understand the basics that pertain to your stay in Thailand,.

But feel free to be rude to someone attempting to offer to help you understand. 

31 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

You're getting an extension of stay. You're not renewing a visa. The visa you originally had was an O-A, not an AO. You're asking for help because you clearly never bothered to understand the basics that pertain to your stay in Thailand,.

But feel free to be rude to someone attempting to offer to help you understand. 

Which you are not.

23 hours ago, Rdrokit said:

Other documents were, completed TM7 with photo, copy of passport (all pages with a stamp), copy of wife's ID card, copy of wife's house book, the bank information and the insurance info (copy of insurance ID card and a copy of the policy.

Is your wife a thai national?

If so, you could apply for your OA-extension for reason of MARRIAGE, and in that case NO health-insurance required for the application.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Is your wife a thai national?

If so, you could apply for your OA-extension for reason of MARRIAGE, and in that case NO health-insurance required for the application.

Yes she is a Thai national. But since I have had insurance for 13 years now and can afford it I have had no reason for a visa based on marriage. I guess guys that are either too old for insurance or can't afford insurance would go for a visa based on marriage.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Guys and Gals here is the ending to my story until next year. Finally got my AO visa extended for another year. Listed below are the documents I needed at Korat Immigration

1. Completed TM7

2. Copies of all pages of passport with a stamp on it. 

3. Certificate of Insurance (from your Thai Health Insurance company)

4. Proof of income, I went with the month amount route.

a) A years bank statement printed out by your bank

b) Copy of you bank book going back one year.

c) Proof of where your income is coming from (i.e. pension, 501K, etc statement)

d) Letter of Guarantee from bank.  

5. Copy of wife's ID card, front & back

6. Copy of wife's house book.

7. There were 3 forms in Thai that I got at check in that needed to be filled out.

Hope this helps anyone who has to do the same.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

OK Guys and Gals here is the ending to my story until next year. Finally got my AO visa extended for another year. Listed below are the documents I needed at Korat Immigration

1. Completed TM7

2. Copies of all pages of passport with a stamp on it. 

3. Certificate of Insurance (from your Thai Health Insurance company)

4. Proof of income, I went with the month amount route.

a) A years bank statement printed out by your bank

b) Copy of you bank book going back one year.

c) Proof of where your income is coming from (i.e. pension, 501K, etc statement)

d) Letter of Guarantee from bank.  

5. Copy of wife's ID card, front & back

6. Copy of wife's house book.

7. There were 3 forms in Thai that I got at check in that needed to be filled out.

Hope this helps anyone who has to do the same.

Thanks for the list, useful for other long-stayers applying for extension at IO Korat.

One question though:

> Why do they require 5 and 6? 

You were applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on your original OA Visa for reason of retirement.

So the wife's info is not required.  Or was this to file the - in some IOs required - TM30 in case you are living in the house owned by your wife?

55 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the list, useful for other long-stayers applying for extension at IO Korat.

One question though:

> Why do they require 5 and 6? 

You were applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on your original OA Visa for reason of retirement.

So the wife's info is not required.  Or was this to file the - in some IOs required - TM30 in case you are living in the house owned by your wife?

Yes, as Joe said,  it is for proof of residency.