[Photos] Hygiene measures at Bangkok malls and mass transit systems for coronavirus prevention

rooster59

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

For the most part, wearing masks is totally ineffective and is basically just theater

well , i consider it better than not wearing any mask at all, at the very least it may stop you breathing in someone else's germs or virus. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well , i consider it better than not wearing any mask at all, at the very least it may stop you breathing in someone else's germs or virus. 

Just check the WHO website.

The masks most people are wearing are not helping to do that.

• Like 2

i've seen the thermal imaging/temp check machines at siam paragon and siam center.  and also alot of janitors cleaning escalator rails and even an ATM machine i used.  but i haven't see anything at all at emporium, terminal 21, central embassy or BTS stations btwn phrom phong and siam.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

For the most part, wearing masks is totally ineffective and is basically just theater. There are exceptions. If people have reason to believe they might have had close contact with infected people and/or are feeling suspicious symptoms then wearing them suppressing their spray getting to others.

If N95 respirator masks are good enough for the hospital staff treating CV patients in hospital, then they're plenty good for me when I'm riding SkyTrain or MRT in BKK or rarely taking a taxi here.

Wearing the right kind of mask, along with all the other protection measures, is hardly "basically just theater." A properly worn N95 mask will prevent you from breathing in any virus material that may be floating in the air from a contagious person's coughs or sneezes. That doesn't cover your eyes (a much smaller point of exposure), but regular glasses would help. And hand washing to avoid getting exposed to the virus thru that route.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Wearing the right kind of mask, along with all the other protection measures, is hardly "basically just theater." A properly worn N95 mask will prevent you from breathing in any virus material that may be floating in the air from a contagious person's coughs or sneezes.

And there you have it. The vast majority are not wearing 'the right kind of mask' = theatre. Thais excel in doing things for show. Image is all that counts as doing things properly is often too hard - such as providing effective masks. Solly, no hab.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And there you have it. The vast majority are not wearing 'the right kind of mask' = theatre. Thais excel in doing things for show. Image is all that counts as doing things properly is often too hard - such as providing effective masks. Solly, no hab.

Even here in our little expat online community, a lot of folks since the beginning of this have just talked about "masks" and their opinion of them -- without recognizing that there are very different kinds of masks that serve entirely different purposes.

--The cheap paper drugstore AKA surgical masks are primarily meant for the public to help contain the coughs and sneezes of already sick people. So a good portion of their outbound cough or sneeze gets caught in their own mask.  They're not designed or intended as a preventive device for the wearer.

--the N95 masks, on the other hand, are basically airtight on the face and are meant as a preventive device for the wearer. If worn properly, they will prevent the wearer from breathing in cough or sneeze droplets in the air from other people nearby. They wont stop hand or eye exposure, but those routes can be addressed thru other means.

When I see Thais on the street wearing cheap paper drugstore masks, I know that type of mask isn't likely to be much help in preventing virus exposure, mainly because they don't fit airtight. But on the other hand, since N95 masks are very hard to come by here right now, given the choice of wearing nothing or wearing a less than ideal mask, I'd still choose the less than ideal mask if I didn't have any better option.

55 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Actually, out and around in BKK, I'm seeing a lot of Thais and tourists wearing some versions of the N95 masks... not sure if they're legitimate or counterfeit, and where they're buying/sourcing them from.

But yes, the ordinary street level Thai is probably most often wearing the drugstore mask of the type that the government has started distributing lately, and our esteemed Public Health minister was pitching the other day.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

For the most part, wearing masks is totally ineffective and is basically just theater. There are exceptions. If people have reason to believe they might have had close contact with infected people and/or are feeling suspicious symptoms then wearing them suppressing their spray getting to others.

https://youtu.be/Ded_AxFfJoQ?t=3

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You mean like a 80 baht plastic helmet 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Snuller21 said:

Is it Hygiene Measures that a few of the personel are wearing masks? Yesterday Anuvit threatened to deport all Farangs NOT wearing masks. What about the Thais NOT wearing masks????????

They are millions not wearing mask in the country, it is more difficult! ????

I was at Hua Lamphong railway station yesterday. They still charge 3 baht to use their restrooms, and they're filthier than ever. No soap, which would be a crime even under normal circumstances. Also, no hand sanitizer to be seen throughout the station. No big deal for me personally as I brought my own, but really, this is what they call being prepared and doing their best? Fail.

Entering the nearby MRT station, hand sanitizer was readily available at the entrance. Same with all BTS stations I've been to recently. Good.

Today I went to True Digital Park and a girl in nurse uniform at the entrance pointed one of those body temperature scanners at my forehead. Good. I seemed to pass the test, so she stamped my wrist with a green duck (I kid you not). A bit over the top, but I didn't really mind. I cannot see them doing that at the busier malls though.

So as with everything in Thailand: very inconsistent!

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

yes it really doesn't matter anymore, today aerosol transmission has been confirmed

thats about as bad as it gets :crying:

SHANGHAI, Feb. 8 (Xinhua) -- The routes of the novel coronavirus infection include transmission via aerosol according to health and epidemic prevention experts, said Zeng Qun, deputy head of Shanghai Civil Affairs Bureau at a press conference in Shanghai on Saturday.

The other major routes of virus infection are contact transmission and direct transmission including transmission via respiratory droplets according to the experts, Zeng added.

Targeting these transmission routes, Zeng called on residents to take a series of measures including canceling all social activities and gatherings, opening windows regularly to maintain the circulation of indoor air and focusing on household disinfection.

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-02/08/c_138766344.htm

Aerosol transmission has been defined as person-to-person transmission of pathogens through the air by means of inhalation of infectious particles. Particles up to 100 μm in size are considered inhalable (inspirable). These aerosolized particles are small enough to be inhaled into the oronasopharynx, with the smaller, respirable size ranges (eg, < 10 μm) penetrating deeper into the trachea and lung (Figure). Aerosols are emitted not only by "aerosol-generating procedures," but may also be transmitted whenever an infected person coughs, sneezes, talks, or exhales. Pathogens transmitted by respiratory aerosols can travel short or long range from the source depending on the size and shape of the particles, the initial velocity (eg, cough vs exhalation), and environmental conditions (eg, humidity, airflow).

Edited by GeorgeCross

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Metal detector:

"Beep! Beep! Beep!"- AK47.

"OK, go ahead."

"Beep! Beep! Beep!"- Pipe bombs.

"OK, go ahead."

Siam-Paragon-1.jpg.1dd6261143acc088a846dcb879a0208b.jpg

Yeah, walking through the ARL this morning, walk through the beeping detectors as usual like everyone else, walk past the two sad looking soap dispenser bottles on the little table, without using it, like everyone else. It's all media photo gesture politics with usual mai ben rai implementation. At least in the malls in Bangkok some of them actually do do a cursory check of your bag. In Jakarta, as long as you're right complexion, they just grin and usher you through, even when there are armed soldiers standing outside.

Edited by codebunny

6 hours ago, buick said:

i've seen the thermal imaging/temp check machines at siam paragon and siam center.  and also alot of janitors cleaning escalator rails and even an ATM machine i used.  but i haven't see anything at all at emporium, terminal 21, central embassy or BTS stations btwn phrom phong and siam.

yes, there was a temp checking machine at siam paragon today but there were so many people walking past it at the same time it was basically pointing at a crowd of quickly moving people.

i had business in various government buildings yesterday; some checked temperature, some didn't, so much inconsistency...

but as the health minister said to a channel 4 reporter; 'we're doing our best...'

the guy from singapore didnt have any symptoms so he sailed thru the checks in airports via geneva and majorca and UK etc and he was a super spreader ..eye masks are more important than mouth masks,, and surgical gloves shud be worn AROUND TOWN TO AVOID TOUCHING DOOR KNOBS AND surfaces .feacal contamination is the worry now

lives on surfaces for up to 9 days

Edited by 3NUMBAS

We were at a mall in Kalasin and went to a movie last night (Sunday).  The mall was quiet, MK restaurant had 1 other couple, the theater had maybe 3-4 couples. There were no other people in the theater entrance/lounge, unbelievably quiet for a long weekend.  

1 person observed with a mask: the mall security guy.  Alcohol hand sanitizer stations throughout the mall, Big C, and theater, provided by Big C.