Tourist Visa From Vientienne - Last Time Got Warning

17 hours ago, Ventenio said:

Question:  OK, say you get rejected but you have a motorbike and a good amount of luggage still in Thailand.  Do you normally get 7 days to get your stuff, or are you really stuck?  I wish I had only a small bag, but that's impossible for me.  

I don't think I'll to worry about this until at least May, and likely not until August....BUT I would leave my stuff in Thailand before going to Laos.

You can always enter through most land borders witout any problem.  

On 2/9/2020 at 12:24 PM, sanemax said:

The problem may arise if the Embassy ask to see financial proof , a Thai bank statement .

If you have a new "clean" passport and then shoe a statement which shows you have been in Thailand longer than your passport states .

I could be in that situation soon , applying for a Thai visa in Laos with a new passport and then having to show a Thai bank statement with years of activity .

What would they do then ? 

No brainer...its money .....they won't see that link

I don't want to hijack the thread but what is the current rule on tourist visas these days? I spent 2 weeks last August, 2 weeks this Jan but went to Japan so got 2 stamps  and am planning a week in April. All in all that's 4 stamps in 8 months. Am I going to have any issues?

4 hours ago, Vascoda said:

You can always enter through most land borders witout any problem.  

True for many (actually most) visiting this board. However, it is important to remember that not every nationality is entitled to visa exempt entry. Also, those with bilateral agreements for visa exempt entry cannot always enter at land crossings.

In general, though, yes. For those entitled to standard visa exempt entry, those two visa exempt entries by land in a calendar year are a great insurance policy for when your visa plans fall through.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I don't want to hijack the thread but what is the current rule on tourist visas these days? I spent 2 weeks last August, 2 weeks this Jan but went to Japan so got 2 stamps  and am planning a week in April. All in all that's 4 stamps in 8 months. Am I going to have any issues?

From context, I think you are asking about visa exempt entry, not entering with a visa issued at a consulate. With your history, you are not going to have a problem at this time. If planning much more time in Thailand in the future, you might need a different solution than visa exempt entry

• Like 1

What I don't understand in such discussions about getting a visa having a "history" is the advice to get a new passport.

OK, I see you can get the visa with a blank pp because the consulate/embassy is not linked to the immigration database. But the IOs at the airport are and may refuse you aswell.

So what do you win? Isn't it even worse beeing denied at the airport and maybe detained until you can be sent back where you came from?

57 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

What I don't understand in such discussions about getting a visa having a "history" is the advice to get a new passport.

OK, I see you can get the visa with a blank pp because the consulate/embassy is not linked to the immigration database. But the IOs at the airport are and may refuse you aswell.

So what do you win? Isn't it even worse beeing denied at the airport and maybe detained until you can be sent back where you came from?

What you win is that with clean pp you might obtain a setv and then be able to enter via border crossing with visa. 100% agree with your comment about fly in. Esp to DM.

That will give you 90 days (with extension) and still keeping your 2 border visa exempt entries intact.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi - OP here.......  just a quick follow up....

I went to vientiane and tried to apply for the visa on tuesday.  The final immigration officer who takes the payment and stamps the application took a long look at my passport and all its stamps, and spotted the stamp i had previously, warning me re too many tourist visas.  

Once he had seen this he pushed my papers back to me and said i had been in thailand "too long".  i told him i had been married here, to which he said i should get married visa.  I told him i was now divorced, and had been studying thai.  he then asked me where were my certificates from the school to prove study, and where was my ticket out of thailand.  I told him i would produce these, and went and found some wifi and a printer and booked a flight, and spoke to my school.  After showing these, plus a healthy balance bank statement, he took my application and my 1000B and said i could try, but there was no guarantee.

Next day i returned.  i was number 22 in the queue, but all the numbers were called all the way to 200 or so, and me and about 15 others were not called out, and told to remain seated.  We then all had a long wait of an hour or so at least, and then one was called to the office for interview (i presume) and others were slowly given our passports back, and all were successful as far as i could see.  When my number was called the immigration officer said "lucky" when he handed me my passport ....

Happy days.... i got my TR visa and can hopefully change this to ED visa next.  Was definitely very close to being refused though i think.  I think the reason the 15 or so of us were left, was that we were grey area decisions, on whether to grant visa or not, and were left to the head officer to decide case by case.......  

Anyway back in thailand, and my dogs are getting fed again ????

Thanks to all the advice people contributed ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1