Bars Now Allowed Later Hours in CM

AAArdvark

23 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

I think it was the minister of tourism who last year (or 2018, I'm not sure) suggested that bars should be able to stay open until 2am and even later in Pattaya. I haven't heard anything about it since I read it in The Nation.

Perhaps they are busy in the meantime to care about the tourists who are really important and not about some sex tourists. But I am not sure about this... Really not. I myself don't understand why they create endless new annoying open air sex bars here in Pattaya. BUT - not even severe STDs keep these tourists away. A very reliable clientele. No risk no fun. But if I remember correctly this was an advertisement for an INTEL processor and not for sex. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The law of the land is that a properly licenced bar, paid signage,with toilets, fire extinguishers & any other requirement asked for like emergency lighting, exit signage may trade until 2 AM except

the Buddha holidays.

A Hua Hin bar owner challenged being told to close at midnight & was told that because it is the Kings summer Palace we can limit the trading hours.

After all that he now closes at 2 am & is never "bothered"

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The law of the land is that a properly licenced bar, paid signage,with toilets, fire extinguishers & any other requirement asked for like emergency lighting, exit signage may trade until 2 AM except

the Buddha holidays.

A Hua Hin bar owner challenged being told to close at midnight & was told that because it is the Kings summer Palace we can limit the trading hours.

Utter BS. 

Different areas/zones/types of establishments in Thailand have various rules and restrictions based on their licence.  There is no such thing as a global "Law of the land" 2AM rule.

If open till 2AM how much Tea money is he paying if not properly licenced?

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Since I was too young to remember my time in any kindergarten anywhere in the world I will bow to your obvious super knowledge!

Why do you insult him? He only writes his opinion! And I am happy about any member here on TV who does this even if it is not my opinion. But in his case I share the same experience. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:
4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Actually, what hours businesses operate is nothing to do with the government. Or shouldn't be. The duty of any government is to protect its citizens, and that doesn't include dictating what time people can conduct their business or enjoy their social life. Or shouldn't.

Maybe they shouldn't  but just about every country does.

Indeed.

Paid a visit to Spotlight (place was nearly empty) the other night, to be honest its not my type of thing. Talking to one of the girls she said the bar fine is now 700 and she charges 3,200, not sure what you get for that but had a feeling it would be a one shot short time affair. Needless to say its still not my type of thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

The sooner the World does away with the Religion-based, Puritanical laws regarding drug consumption and what consenting adults do in private the better.

The Gov't has no business being in the bedrooms of its citizens

Buddha bless and help  you my son .;-)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, natway09 said:

the Buddha holidays.

Taksin changed the closing time for bars back in early 2000's to midnight. 

That bar you are referring that is not being "bothered" is most certainly paying the police to stay open.   My friend used to own a bar and even nights like New Years Eve if they wanted to stay open late they had to pay extra, just not to get hassled they have to pay every week. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 12:32 PM, CNXexpat said:

How much to pay to the police? The law hasn´t changed. Clubs like Spicy, Warm Up and so on are open till late - and they have to pay a lot for that.

It is reflected in the beer pricing of those places, I guess. No operator keeps an entity open if he loses money ......... 

1 hour ago, ericthai said:

Taksin changed the closing time for bars back in early 2000's to midnight. 

That bar you are referring that is not being "bothered" is most certainly paying the police to stay open.   My friend used to own a bar and even nights like New Years Eve if they wanted to stay open late they had to pay extra, just not to get hassled they have to pay every week. 

I don't care much about the government - if it was Thaksin or if it is the military. The only thing I have experienced in my more than 20 years here in Pattaya is that during the past years endless new noisy sex bars opened with extreme noise in front of my condo. And despite endless calls to the city hall (1337) nothing at all can be done against it and nothing ever changed. And if I leave my condo I am walking within a big brothel. It wasn't the same before... It was quiet like a graveyard. I spent millions for my condo but after suffering every day I will leave. There seems to be no other option. 

No you cannot buy any alcohol in any kind of retail outlet between 2pm and 5 pm daily. This was another Thaksin initiative designed to prevent school children buying booze on the way home from school. 

So millions are penalised because the boys in brown cannot stop retail outlets from selling to underage kids. Just shows the might of the law is not so mighty when many outlets are owned by "friends and relatives". 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 3:22 AM, AAArdvark said:

The consensus seems to be they will stay open until 01:30 IF there are customers.  

Correct, "If there are customers". If not, it just increases the overhead of operating the bar.

17 minutes ago, crabbie2020 said:

Good news. Shame I will never wet foot in CM again as it's a Chinese city for of Chinese tourists and their disgusting habits!

What a loss of moist footprints for Chiang Mai ????

~o:37;

Edited by orang37
memory recovered after alien abduction
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Muppet2019 said:

Paid a visit to Spotlight (place was nearly empty) the other night, to be honest its not my type of thing. Talking to one of the girls she said the bar fine is now 700 and she charges 3,200, not sure what you get for that but had a feeling it would be a one shot short time affair. Needless to say its still not my type of thing.

Typical Thai logic, fewer customers, increase the prices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Beggar said:

I don't care much about the government - if it was Thaksin or if it is the military. The only thing I have experienced in my more than 20 years here in Pattaya is that during the past years endless new noisy sex bars opened with extreme noise in front of my condo. And despite endless calls to the city hall (1337) nothing at all can be done against it and nothing ever changed. And if I leave my condo I am walking within a big brothel. It wasn't the same before... It was quiet like a graveyard. I spent millions for my condo but after suffering every day I will leave. There seems to be no other option. 

I can relate. Chiang Mai has a real traffic problem and there's nothing nicer than watching the traffic disappear at night once everything closes. I guess now we get two more hours of noisy, smoky tuktuks ripping up and down the moat.

Great.

This measure will do nothing for Chiang Mai, just make it noisier, even more polluted, sleazier and grottier. 

Edited by Bassosa
  • Like 1