Thailand reports seven new coronavirus cases - health ministry

Jonathan Fairfield

The majority of cases will recover and most in just a few days.  The 'at risk' group are elderly and people with pre-conditions.  Of course there are exceptions as in any situation. This would apply to most viruses.

Hundreds of thousands of people in this part of the world are wearing masks needlessly causing a shortage for people who do need them. i.e. health workers.  Hysteria is spreading quicker than the virus itself.

I'm not sure whether to call this 'The forum of hysteria' or 'The hysterical forum'

• Like 1

Comparing to the 1918 flu pandemic should take into account that there was a bit of a war going on and thousands of troops from all over the world were fighting and being moved all over the world in very crowded conditions. This helped the virus get a really good grip for at least its first year before peace broke out. Then loads of infected troops were repatriated to their own lands  where crowds of people greeted the brave men. No wonder over a quarter of the world got infected. Circumstances nowadays are not really comparable.

As there's no value in their "confirmed cases" number whatsoever, as far as I'm concerned, their "PUI" number represents the number of cases. Those without or with only mild symptoms likely aren't included in that either, but at least it's closer to reality.

4 hours ago, christophe75 said:

The ability of many to just forget the facts, is really fascinating.

First, you should re-read History... Just 100 years ago.... The "spanish flu" pandemic.

It's really interesting.

Second, how can you discard the proof we have under our eyes :

-the cruise boat in Tokyo

-the "Singapore cluster"

-the "french cluster" (1 british guy who went to Singapore then went to a ski resort in the french Alps)

-the "german cluster" (just 1 woman from Shanghai with no symptoms infected 6 or more people, one of them then became the first "spanish case".)

Plus the utter disaster in Wuhan (even if we discard rumors and hysteria, ground zero is a real disaster, nothing less, despite all the chinese propaganda)

... All those facts should make us "modest".

This virus could be "simply" the 21 century version of the "spanish flu".

And in that case we won't be able to contain it.

And it will kill.

A lot.

As for the -totally idiotic- argument "just 40 cases here it's nothing !".... Is it necessary to repeat that... at one point in time... Wuhan too had only 40 cases ? !

Such a lack of basic common sense is really striking.

Why Bangkok, or Tokyo, or Seoul would be different than Wuhan ?

Explain it to us ! Enlight us !

Bangkok pollution ? The PM 2.5 ? The smell of som tam ? The magical effects of tom yam kung ?

Do you believe that the virus thrive only among "Wuhan" people ?

Do the inhabitants of Wuhan have something different than you ? Or the inhabitants of any other chinese city for that matter ?

In 1918/1919 people were unable to prevent the spread of the virus...

Do you seriously believe that in 2020, with a population X greater and all the movements worldwide... we could ?

What matters is the health system.

And its ability to cope with the number of sick people.

With 40 cases, sure no problem. We can save most of them, or even all of them...

But the problem is the tipping point. The exponential function is difficult to grasp for us....

"Imagine a large pond that is completely empty except for 1 lily pad. The lily pad will grow exponentially and cover the entire pond in 3 years. In other words, after 1 month there will 2 lily pads, after 2 months there will be 4, etc. The pond is covered in 36 months.

If I asked you when the pond would be half filled with lily pads, the temptation would be to say 18 months – half of the 36 months. In fact, the correct answer is 35 months. Right before the pond is filled, it’s half filled; because it doubles the next month."

At one point, the health system can't cope anymore... No more beds. And doctors and nurses are infected and/or exhausted. The people are told to stay home... Or are parked in "stadiums" (converted in "field hospitals").

Then the killing machine starts... at full speed...

This is exactly what is happening in Wuhan, and other cities in China...

So, how many serious cases, with accute pneumonia... the Bangkok health system can handle ? Hum ? How many real "isolation rooms" do we have ?

And.... what about up country ? This question is... rhetorical....

Thank you.  You have just proved my point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder how much anti pyretics (fever lowering meds) play into it. Those who suddenly get raging pneumonia after first having seemingly recovered.

Fever is the body's way of hindering replication of the virus.

Edited by goldmagpie
Spelling

10 hours ago, goldmagpie said:

I wonder how much anti pyretics (fever lowering meds) play into it. Those who suddenly get raging pneumonia after first having seemingly recovered.

Fever is the body's way of hindering replication of the virus.

IIRC ibuprofen and aspirin, being NSAIDs, can trigger a cytokine storm, making the immune system attack the body itself. 

Take paracetamol instead.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

Can we know where these people were when they were identified with the virus ?

I guess this information is hidden so that it does not cause 'panic'

Even China posts information about the location of cases.   Relatively transparent.

Immunization with SARS Coronavirus Vaccines Leads to Pulmonary Immunopathology on Challenge with the SARS Virus
Immunization with SARS Coronavirus Vaccines Leads to Pulmonary Immunopathology on Challenge with the SARS Virus
[link to journals.plos.org (secure)]

These SARS-CoV vaccines all induced antibody and protection against infection with SARS-CoV. However, challenge of mice given any of the vaccines led to occurrence of Th2-type immunopathology suggesting hypersensitivity to SARS-CoV components was induced. Caution in proceeding to application of a SARS-CoV vaccine in humans is indicated.

And...dodgy chinese vaccinations
[link to www.theguardian.com (secure)]

"60 new cases of coronavirus on cruise ship near Tokyo, raising ship's total to 130"

Yesterday, the "score" was 70 positives for less than 300 tests conducted...

Reminder : total of 3700 passengers and crew on board.

Now, let's sink this for a moment (not the ship...)

-those 3700 people, from X nationality, are they different than you ?

-is this air conditioned / confined environment different than let's say... a "chalet" in the french alps, a "convention meeting" in a big hotel in Singapour, a "chinese meal" (9 people from a same family infected during just one shared meal), a transit in an airport (the american guy en route to Saigon.... who was infected during a 2 hours transit in Wuhan airport), or a business meeting in Munich (the shanghai woman who created the cluster in Webasto company) ?

A supermaket ? A shopping mall ? A train ? A theater ? In Bangkok, Tokyo or Seoul ?

This boat is a blessing if I may say, because it's difficult to hide the truth, and it's like a perfect petri dish under the spotlights and the TV cameras from around the world....

And, what a weird and unconvenient coincidence... the more they test... the more they find the virus... !

Now it does not tell us how dangerous this virus is ... But it's a showcase regarding its contagious properties...

So I guess, now, we should start to laugh a little bit lesss ? Perhaps ? No ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/9/2020 at 11:18 AM, DrJack54 said:

I just asked the Thai gf a rhetorical Q.

"Why don't Thai close the flights from China" Her reply.."Why you so un clever the government want money"

I like your post, It is novel and cute and a typical 'Thai girl response' and on topic.

I can't imagine why you got a 'SAD' Emoji from it UNLESS you had given the same 'SAD' to that guy and he was just getting even. The way somebody did me with 3 'SADs' a week or so.

I kinda see the situation same as the girlfriend. It is only the Health department assisting the gov't to struggle to keep the money coming and willing to sacrafice their people for some money. So many countries have shunned them but since Thailand wants to 'snuggle up' to china they will risk their own people.

Edited by kensawadee
change one word
  • Like 1

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/briton-coronavirus-super-spreader-cases-090643435.html

super spreader gets cracking in europe

“As the customer was not experiencing any symptoms, the risk to others on board the flight is very low. We remain in contact with the public health authorities and are following their guidance.”

Edited by 3NUMBAS

On 2/9/2020 at 8:35 PM, christophe75 said:

The ability of many to just forget the facts, is really fascinating.

First, you should re-read History... Just 100 years ago.... The "spanish flu" pandemic.

It's really interesting.

Second, how can you discard the proof we have under our eyes :

-the cruise boat in Tokyo

-the "Singapore cluster"

-the "french cluster" (1 british guy who went to Singapore then went to a ski resort in the french Alps)

-the "german cluster" (just 1 woman from Shanghai with no symptoms infected 6 or more people, one of them then became the first "spanish case".)

Plus the utter disaster in Wuhan (even if we discard rumors and hysteria, ground zero is a real disaster, nothing less, despite all the chinese propaganda)

... All those facts should make us "modest".

This virus could be "simply" the 21 century version of the "spanish flu".

And in that case we won't be able to contain it.

And it will kill.

A lot.

As for the -totally idiotic- argument "just 40 cases here it's nothing !".... Is it necessary to repeat that... at one point in time... Wuhan too had only 40 cases ? !

Such a lack of basic common sense is really striking.

Why Bangkok, or Tokyo, or Seoul would be different than Wuhan ?

Explain it to us ! Enlight us !

Bangkok pollution ? The PM 2.5 ? The smell of som tam ? The magical effects of tom yam kung ?

Do you believe that the virus thrive only among "Wuhan" people ?

Do the inhabitants of Wuhan have something different than you ? Or the inhabitants of any other chinese city for that matter ?

In 1918/1919 people were unable to prevent the spread of the virus...

Do you seriously believe that in 2020, with a population X greater and all the movements worldwide... we could ?

What matters is the health system.

And its ability to cope with the number of sick people.

With 40 cases, sure no problem. We can save most of them, or even all of them...

But the problem is the tipping point. The exponential function is difficult to grasp for us....

"Imagine a large pond that is completely empty except for 1 lily pad. The lily pad will grow exponentially and cover the entire pond in 3 years. In other words, after 1 month there will 2 lily pads, after 2 months there will be 4, etc. The pond is covered in 36 months.

If I asked you when the pond would be half filled with lily pads, the temptation would be to say 18 months – half of the 36 months. In fact, the correct answer is 35 months. Right before the pond is filled, it’s half filled; because it doubles the next month."

At one point, the health system can't cope anymore... No more beds. And doctors and nurses are infected and/or exhausted. The people are told to stay home... Or are parked in "stadiums" (converted in "field hospitals").

Then the killing machine starts... at full speed...

This is exactly what is happening in Wuhan, and other cities in China...

So, how many serious cases, with accute pneumonia... the Bangkok health system can handle ? Hum ? How many real "isolation rooms" do we have ?

And.... what about up country ? This question is... rhetorical....

Did you say this when sars was beginning because it is idiots like you who spread this hysteria there a omly 8 Thai peple confimed to catch this in thailand, why don't you stirers take a breath and see what happens, i would take a bet that global warming is also on your agenda

4 minutes ago, jewell49 said:

Did you say this when sars was beginning because it is idiots like you who spread this hysteria there a omly 8 Thai peple confimed to catch this in thailand, why don't you stirers take a breath and see what happens, i would take a bet that global warming is also on your agenda

The number of deaths due to the corona virus has already surpassed the total number of deaths during the SARS outbreak. It looks as though Corona will be much more lethal than SARS.

To date there have been 910 deaths due to corona virus and many suspect that the figures are being under reported. Thailand is considered as the No:1 country at risk from corona virus outside China. Worried? Yes. Hysterical? No.

I presume that as well as being a climate change denier you are now a corona virus denier. Must be nice to be able bury your head in the sand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

100% the figures are under-reported. Many people will have mild symptoms and think they just have a cold or mild flu. Maybe up to 20% will have symptoms worrying enough to go to a doctor or hospital.

So 80% of cases may not be known by the authorities at all. 

Then of course some people simply won't report even if they have more severe symptoms, for reasons of their own.

When I entered the country, everyone had to place their fingers on the bio-metric scanner, with no method of sanitisation.

So almost certainly infection was spread that way. It would be a huge case of good luck if that didn't happen. 

So the country is hoping to survive on good luck, rather than good practice. At times like this you see quite how poorly the brains work here. Geared more to maximising the amount of money they can put into their pockets and how much they can trick the people into adoring them.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

When I entered the country, everyone had to place their fingers on the bio-metric scanner, with no method of sanitisation.

When did you enter the country?

If after the outbreak started perhaps you should have taken personal responsibility by either carrying your own hand sanitiser or going to the toilets to wash your hands as soon as you got through (forget about potentially having the virus on your passport ????).

On 2/10/2020 at 11:27 AM, DrTuner said:

IIRC ibuprofen and aspirin, being NSAIDs, can trigger a cytokine storm, making the immune system attack the body itself. 

Take paracetamol instead.

According to dr John Campbell on Youtube, paracetamol is also an anti pyretic.

22 minutes ago, goldmagpie said:

According to dr John Campbell on Youtube, paracetamol is also an anti pyretic.

Yes, which is why you take it when you have fever. It isn't an NSAID. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonsteroidal_anti-inflammatory_drug

Paracetamol (acetaminophen) is generally not considered an NSAID because it has only minor anti-inflammatory activity. It treats pain mainly by blocking COX-2 and inhibiting endocannabinoid reuptake almost exclusively within the brain, but not much in the rest of the body

On 2/10/2020 at 8:55 PM, DannyCarlton said:

The number of deaths due to the corona virus has already surpassed the total number of deaths during the SARS outbreak. It looks as though Corona will be much more lethal than SARS.

To date there have been 910 deaths due to corona virus and many suspect that the figures are being under reported. Thailand is considered as the No:1 country at risk from corona virus outside China. Worried? Yes. Hysterical? No.

I presume that as well as being a climate change denier you are now a corona virus denier. Must be nice to be able bury your head in the sand.

You must have a reading problem, i did not say climate change and i am not denying corona, where did you read that??????, i said to stop the hysteria and see what develops so far apart from Wuhan the authorities appear to have it more or less contained and chinese are lo longer travelling.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:18 PM, Eindhoven said:

100% the figures are under-reported. Many people will have mild symptoms and think they just have a cold or mild flu. Maybe up to 20% will have symptoms worrying enough to go to a doctor or hospital.

So 80% of cases may not be known by the authorities at all. 

Then of course some people simply won't report even if they have more severe symptoms, for reasons of their own.

So almost certainly infection was spread that way. It would be a huge case of good luck if that didn't happen. 

So the country is hoping to survive on good luck, rather than good practice. At times like this you see quite how poorly the brains work here. Geared more to maximising the amount of money they can put into their pockets and how much they can trick the people into adoring them.

with no method of sanitation did i read that correctly?? how about washing your hands in the lav after you pass through the scanner. and again later and maybe even again later