Thailand reports seven new coronavirus cases - health ministry

Jonathan Fairfield

23 hours ago, ExpatLife said:

Prepare for outbreaks, it's everywhere in Thailand already. At this juncture China had started to close down cities and festivities etc, Thailand is doing nothing at all, and still accepting Chinese tourists all the while. Mai bpen rai, everything is ok 

You are quite incorrect about Thailand's "man bpen rai" attitude. Actually the performance of Thailand has been most excellent, considering. According to WHO, Thailand is the fifth-most prepared country in the world for this kind of outbreak, ahead of even Sweden and best in Asia. Look at the stats. Almost all of the patients are Chinese. 

23 hours ago, khunpa said:

Yes, it is so bad that they are now exporting cases. But still around 615 cases unresolved and nobody really doing anything. Wonder how long, before BKK looks like Wuhan. 

Anyway, now we have to wait 3-4 more days for the next small batch of tests results to be verified. So we should be around 40 official cases on Wednesday and over 1000 suspected pending cases. Thailand seems to be the only country in the world where testing is very very time consuming. 

Not too bad in a country of 70 million.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Emdog said:

Has anyone seen where in Thailand these cases are popping up? The ruling class is rather "Bangkok-centric" but it may just be some cases are in tourist destinations like Phuket, Pattaya, etc. I suppose mum's the word...

Agree it would be helpful to everyone if they knew where the hotspots were.

The latest health prevention advice is to focus on frequent washing of hands, or disinfectant hand gel.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, peter48 said:

I guess the thing is: Is Thailand's state health care system up to to dealing with the large increase. China is a centralized and interventionist state and I guess resources are quickly allocated to medical crises. Outside of Bangkok I wonder how Thai medical system would really cope if it increases rapidly?  

Best advice wash hands repeatedly if out and do not touch mouth, eyes and nose as that's how folk get it if in contact with virus. It has to get into your fluids. Masks are said to be next to useless for non-sufferers. Medics where masks to stop them spreading viruses etc

The WHO's big fear, apparently, is that it will spread to places like Bangladesh and various African states where the health care system would be overwhelmed

On 2/8/2020 at 1:25 PM, JHolmesJr said:

weird report....how about more info?

are these a fresh batch of local transmission cases...did any thais

visit china and return?

And the headline said 7 new cases,but in the article they wrote:

"Among the four Chinese, three are members of the families of previously reported cases"

The correct numbers should have been 3+1.

In the next 24 hours the number of people killed by Coronavirus in six weeks will have exceeded the number killed by Sars in 9 months. 

400 million Chinese are now in isolation lock down. What do you think will happen to the world economy if China stops producing goods for the next three months? 

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2020 at 2:19 PM, smedly said:

how many in Thailand right now are sick and not reporting it

How many are just sick of the exaggerated panic makers. Where I am nobody wears a mask and life goes on as normal, hope I don't get the corona flu.

1 hour ago, spermwhale said:

You are quite incorrect about Thailand's "man bpen rai" attitude. Actually the performance of Thailand has been most excellent, considering. According to WHO, Thailand is the fifth-most prepared country in the world for this kind of outbreak, ahead of even Sweden and best in Asia. Look at the stats. Almost all of the patients are Chinese. 

"Almost all of the patients are Chinese."

Well, there's a surprise (not!) - well done Sherlock!!! 

And the performance of Thailand has NOT been most excellent - why have they not closed their borders to Chinese? (Which, by the way, if you hadn't noticed, is where the outbreak started and there are now many THOUSANDS of people infected - according to one reputable source:- "The new figures brought the total number of deaths in China to at least 636. And the total number of confirmed cases rose to 31,161."

To answer my own question - baht, and the reluctance to risk "offending" the puppet master!

Edited by sambum
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I walked down to. central Embassy and also to the Tops supermarket in Central Chit Lom , both we’re near empty , this was at Midday on a Sunday, seems the Thais are staying at home, do they know something we don’t ?? I realise it’s a long weekend but the last time I saw the streets this empty was when the riots were on. 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, sambum said:

And the performance of Thailand has NOT been most excellent - why have they not closed their borders to Chinese? (Which, by the way, if you hadn't noticed, is where the outbreak started and there are now many THOUSANDS of people infected - according to one reputable source:- "The new figures brought the total number of deaths in China to at least 636. And the total number of confirmed cases rose to 31,161."

To answer my own question - baht, and the reluctance to risk "offending" the puppet master!

Most things that are decided upon are based around money or power. The ruling forces in LOS especially are money hungry as most of us have seen throughout the years. The thing is that other governments around the world also really care about money and their economy, hence why they are closing borders and doing all sorts to protect their work force (the common citizen) and to save their economies from as much damage as possible. LOS cannot see that far ahead as they lack that kind of intellectual insight, so their idea of holding onto money is to keep letting in Chinese tourists, which will inevitably be one element to the downfall of the economy this year 

Just now, Monkeyrobot said:

I walked down to. central Embassy and also to the Tops supermarket in Central Chit Lom , both we’re near empty , this was at Midday on a Sunday, seems the Thais are staying at home, do they know something we don’t ?? I realise it’s a long weekend but the last time I saw the streets this empty was when the riots were on. 

It's wise, before I left LOS at the start of this month, me and the other half stayed in apart from essential trips for supplies and what not. You have to either be ignorant, stupid or simply don't care about the virus to go out and carry on life as normal in the current situation 

54 minutes ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Hub of highest number of coronavirus infections outside of China.

Do you work for TAT?

40 minutes ago, simtemple said:

In the next 24 hours the number of people killed by Coronavirus in six weeks will have exceeded the number killed by Sars in 9 months. 

Passed it already.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sambum said:

The WHO advised against closing borders. 

9 minutes ago, ExpatLife said:

Most things that are decided upon are based around money or power. The ruling forces in LOS especially are money hungry as most of us have seen throughout the years. The thing is that other governments around the world also really care about money and their economy, hence why they are closing borders and doing all sorts to protect their work force (the common citizen) and to save their economies from as much damage as possible. LOS cannot see that far ahead as they lack that kind of intellectual insight, so their idea of holding onto money is to keep letting in Chinese tourists, which will inevitably be one element to the downfall of the economy this year 

So now you know more than the WHO?

The Tourism  Minister said everyone who would not ware a mask should be booted out of the country the masks he was handing out are as useless as an ashtray on a Motorbike.

If this Minister and the Government had closed the border to China many of the 72 infected persons may not have contracted he Virus.

however MONEY IS MORE IMPORTANT than the Thai PEOPLE including Children. 

The Minister for Tourism and Minister for security of the country "if BRAINS WERE DYNAMITE THEY WOULD NOT BLOW THEIR EARS OFF".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeyScars said:

Lockdown spreads to Chengdu, China's sixth largest city (14.4. million).

Is this true? Or is this an old news? 

Well unless its changed in the past day or so the WHO advised against countries closing borders.... they said it would just lead to people trying to get in unoffically.

Its strange the Health Minister gets pummelled for handing out masks with people quoting the WHO as sayinh they are largely uneffective.

The health minister does not close the boarders as per WHO advise and he is slated for it as well.

What is he supposed to do...

• Sad 2