can i enter thailand on a oneway ticket ?

i allways never return on my return date and lose my flight , so this time i will book a one way ticket as i do not know when i will return home.

so,      if i book a  oneway ticket to thailand with an onward flight paid to bali / indonesia ,       will i be allowed entry  to thailand by the immigration staff and by any flight staff namely etihad / turkish/ emerites airlines ,  i  am flying from dublin .

regards

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, madmen said:

If your constantly here say several times a year you might want to buy and on line bus tickets to Laos 

That would probably not work.

The airline will want to see a airline ticket out of the country since they can confirm its validity. It is a big maybe for immigration.

• Like 1

As UJ already mentioned > You can use a one way ticket to here and have a one way ticket to anywhere to satisfy the airline and immigration.

But airline-tarifs are a true Jungle.  Crazy at it seems sometimes the price for a one-way ticket is higher than for a return flight. 

So you need to do some research using Skyscanner, Momondo and/or Expedia to find the best options that fit your travel plans.

Also be aware that when you book a return-flight and do not use nor cancel the return-booking that - crazy as it seems - you might be fined by the issuing airline for not showing up for the flight you paid for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the airline check-in clerk at your departing airport that will likely be the problem as airlines are responsible for enforcing ongoing travel regulations.  You will get  more accurate information from the airline than from here.  Contact them.

• Thanks 1

Thats it-its not so much Thai immi that wants to see it, its on the check in where you board-so Dublin and also depends on the airline. In fact that airline can still refuse you boarding in AUH or DBX for the BKK-sector even if you came in at DUB.

The technical term is POOT = proof of onward travel. In theory can be bus/train, but in practice airlines will not trust that. Plus that about the only feasible online busticket is to SiemReap and cost about 1000/1100 Bt also as cheapest airfare out.

Also you need a good advice about air ticketing (in which I worked before now in pension) and thats generally and still being done by competent agents. Try it for a first time-it may cost a little more, but in the end saves a bundle as you then get higher priced but flexible tickets allowing you to change return date.

Its the stupidity of people or perhaps stubbornness of redhaired Irish to save a few EUR by doing it yourself but then throwing away 100s of same money due to wrongly chosen tickets. Or thats what you get when anyone thinks he can do the work of airline agents. Penny wise - pound foolish, yes I know the Irish threw away their punt.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3

just got this reply on twitter from etihad airlines,    it does not make much sense,  i asked whether i can board in dublin to bangkok if i have an onward flighht out of thailand within 30 days . 

see below;

Our system says the below: PASSPORTS ISSUED TO NATIONALS OF IRELAND /REP./ MUST BE VALID FOR THE PERIOD OF INTENDED STAY. VISA REQUIRED, EXCEPT FOR NATIONALS OF IRELAND /REP./ FOR A MAXIMUM STAY OF 30 DAYS. - EXTENSION OF STAY IS POSSIBLE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: - ACMECS SINGLE VISA ISSUED BY CAMBODIA AND THAILAND ARE VALID FOR 90 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE AND ARE VALID FOR A STAY OF 60 DAYS IN THAILAND. HOLDERS OF VISAS ISSUED BY CAMBODIA /MARKED KHA/ WILL BE REQUIRED TO PAY THEIR FEE FOR THAILAND UPON ARRIVAL IN THAILAND. - VISA EXEMPT VISITORS OLDER THAN 12 YEARS MUST HOLD SUFFICIENT FUNDS TO COVER THEIR STAY /AT LEAST THB 20,000.- PER PERSON OR THB 40,000.- PER FAMILY/. TIDFT/TH/VI/AI/ID87301 WARNING: - VISITORS WHO ARE VISA EXEMPT BUT DO NOT HOLD RETURN/ONWARD TICKETS COULD BE REFUSED ENTRY. - VISA EXEMPT NATIONALS MUST HAVE PASSPORTS AND PASSPORT REPLACING DOCUMENTS WITH AT LEAST HALF AN UNUSED VISA PAGE FOR ENTRY/DEPARTURE ENDORSEMENTS BY THE THAI IMMIGRATION SERVICE. BRITISH PASSPORTS MUST BE VALID FOR THE PERIOD OF INTENDED STAY. PASSPORT EXEMPTIONS: - PASSENGERS WITH A BRITISH EMERGENCY OR TEMPORARY PASSPORT. VISA REQUIRED, EXCEPT FOR PASSENGERS WITH A BRITISH PASSPORT WITH NATIONALITY BRITISH CITIZEN FOR A MAXIMUM STAY OF 30 DAYS. VISA REQUIRED, EXCEPT FOR PASSENGERS WITH A BRITISH PASSPORT WITH NATIONALITY BRITISH NATIONAL /OVERSEAS/ FOR A MAXIMUM STAY OF 30 DAYS. VISA REQUIRED, EXCEPT FOR PASSENGERS WITH A BRITISH EMERGENCY OR TEMPORARY PASSPORT FOR A MAXIMUM STAY OF 30 DAYS. - EXTENSION OF STAY IS POSSIBLE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: - ACMECS SINGLE VISA ISSUED BY CAMBODIA AND THAILAND ARE VALID FOR 90 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF ISSUE AND ARE VALID FOR A STAY OF 60 DAYS IN THAILAND. HOLDERS OF VISAS ISSUED BY CAMBODIA /MARKED KHA/ WILL BE REQUIRED TO PAY THEIR FEE FOR THAILAND UPON ARRIVAL IN THAILAND. - VISA EXEMPT VISITORS OLDER THAN 12 YEARS MUST HOLD SUFFICIENT FUNDS TO COVER THEIR STAY /AT LEAST THB 20,000.- PER PERSON OR THB 40,000.- PER FAMILY/. TIDFT/TH/VI/AI/ID87301 WARNING: - VISA EXEMPT NATIONALS MUST HAVE PASSPORTS AND PASSPORT REPLACING DOCUMENTS WITH AT LEAST HALF AN UNUSED VISA PAGE FOR ENTRY/DEPARTURE ENDORSEMENTS BY THE THAI IMMIGRATION SERVICE. *Sky

3:15 pm

Etihad is a krap airline IMO.

I have recently entered Thailand on my own on a one-way ticket at Suwarnabhumi, no problem. I entered with a non-imm o visa. 

When I flew from Jakarta to Don Mueang on my own, they wanted to see I had a return or onward flight, I entered as a visa waiver passenger, without a non-imm o visa.

YMMV.

Edited by codebunny

I flew from London T2 on Thai Airways, Sept 2019, with a one way ticket and non-O Visa, no one asked about the return ticket, which I had on another Airline.

Recently checked-in (bag drop) at Edinburgh, and the chap conferred with uniformed Airline staff as my Multi-non-O was expiring in 5 days. After a quick chat no problem. I suppose they should have asked if I had 20kTHB cash on me as well ????

Edited by UKresonant

6 hours ago, UKresonant said:

I flew from London T2 on Thai Airways, Sept 2019, with a one way ticket and non-O Visa, no one asked about the return ticket, which I had on another Airline.

Recently checked-in (bag drop) at Edinburgh, and the chap conferred with uniformed Airline staff as my Multi-non-O was expiring in 5 days. After a quick chat no problem. I suppose they should have asked if I had 20kTHB cash on me as well ????

Anyone with a visa or reentry permit will not be asked to show onward flight.

However months back flying x Melbourne to Saigon Jetstar check in staff noticed my visa for Vietnam only had 5 days validity. She made me show onward flight to bkk. She was out of line but wasn't big deal.

• Like 1

The rules are very clear and provided by the Thai Embassy (at least the german one):

With a TV you need a return- or onward ticket.

Quite likely you'll be refused at the airline's checkin counter and if not there, you could be denied at immigration in Bangkok.

Even though there afaik no reports of people beeing denied at immigration, no one can guarantee you won't sit in the next plane to where you came from if the IO has a bad day or whatever. 

If it happens, I already can see a 50-pages topic here on TVF about the xenophobic IOs refusing a hated westerner to enter paradise. So why take the risk?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

The rules are very clear and provided by the Thai Embassy (at least the german one):

Quite likely you'll be refused at the airline's checkin counter and if not there, you could be denied at immigration in Bangkok.

Even though there afaik no reports of people beeing denied at immigration, no one can guarantee you won't sit in the next plane to where you came from if the IO has a bad day or whatever. 

If it happens, I already can see a 50-pages topic here on TVF about the xenophobic IOs refusing a hated westerner to enter paradise. So why take the risk?

If you read the OP carefully....

He is asking, does he need a return ticket OR could he travel with a one-way ticket and in addition have an onward flight.

The answer to that question is YES.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you read the OP carefully....

He is asking, does he need a return ticket OR could he travel with a one-way ticket and in addition have an onward flight.

The answer to that question is YES.

Sorry. You're absolutely right.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

That is only to apply for a tourist visa.

If you have a valid visa a return or onward ticket is not needed for entry.

The OP will be entering visa exempt and will have a onward ticket that is required.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only to apply for a tourist visa.

If you have a valid visa a return or onward ticket is not needed for entry.

Are you saying that once I receive the visa, I can cancel my flight ticket? Why would they allow this? ????

i recently travelled from Aust to Thailand . I have been coming and going with a permission to stay based on retirement for the last 6 years. On THIS occasion , was the first time I was asked for proof of return ticket when I checked in at Australia. I was going to tell them I didnt need it ( as I had been living in Thailand for over 4 years full time) ......but I know to never upset the airline staff. as this was just a fly in fly out visit I DID ave a return flight.........BUT what if I just just returning to Thailand to continue my " retirement".

I have previously travelled with ONLY A ONE WAY TICKET ( but with a " retirement visa") ...never been an issue before .......but as we all know    TIT ........

On 2/8/2020 at 3:24 AM, Peter Denis said:

you might be fined by the issuing airline for not showing up for the flight you paid for.

This is this first time I have heard this crazy talk. How are they going to fine me? Are they going to send me a citation and ask them to pay for it? I can miss my flight ticket for any number of reasons ro simply refuse to fly in the airlines after booking.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, novo58 said:

i recently travelled from Aust to Thailand . I have been coming and going with a permission to stay based on retirement for the last 6 years. On THIS occasion , was the first time I was asked for proof of return ticket when I checked in at Australia. I was going to tell them I didnt need it ( as I had been living in Thailand for over 4 years full time) ......but I know to never upset the airline staff. as this was just a fly in fly out visit I DID ave a return flight.........BUT what if I just just returning to Thailand to continue my " retirement".

I have previously travelled with ONLY A ONE WAY TICKET ( but with a " retirement visa") ...never been an issue before .......but as we all know    TIT ........

So I assume you had a permission of stay stamp (extension) and a reentry permit.

The airline was out of line. A return ticket or onward flight would not be required. If you had not had one the clerk dealing with you would have been over ruled by senior. Was it Jetstar? I had similar experience late last year. X Melbourne.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The airline was out of line.

Or simply the check-in staff who may not work for the carrier. They get a pop-up message to check the passenger has a return flight and many may not be familiar with the Re-Entry permit and Thai script of an Extension. Had to show it many times myself. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Or simply the check-in staff who may not work for the carrier. They get a pop-up message to check the passenger has a return flight and many may not be familiar with the Re-Entry permit and Thai script of an Extension. Had to show it many times myself. 

Good point. Also travelers are often not aware of what to point out to (sometimes) inexperienced staff. I have very small paper clip on my reentry stamp page. As soon as I see airline staff looking for Visa etc, I just flick to that page.

On 2/8/2020 at 10:24 AM, Peter Denis said:

you might be fined by the issuing airline for not showing up for the flight you paid for.

8 hours ago, murikamba said:

This is this first time I have heard this crazy talk. How are they going to fine me? Are they going to send me a citation and ask them to pay for it? I can miss my flight ticket for any number of reasons ro simply refuse to fly in the airlines after booking.

No 'crazy talk'.  But I was also surprised to read it in the Airline regulations (I thought it was Emirates).

This being said, I once did not show up for my Emirates return-flight without cancelling it (the return flight was cheaper than booking it one-way) and there were no consequences.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

No 'crazy talk'.  But I was also surprised to read it in the Airline regulations (I thought it was Emirates).

This being said, I once did not show up for my Emirates return-flight without cancelling it (the return flight was cheaper than booking it one-way) and there were no consequences.

AS with many of these things, the rules are there for the airline's convenience. I often used to fly KUL-SIN-MEL with Singapore Airlines because their fares ex-KL were cheaper than MH. On the return trip I'd leave the airport at SIN and simply get a taxi across the Causeway as I was going to Johor Bahru. I was never, ever challenged by SQ about this practice. One disadvantage (?) was never checking in any luggage but that didn't worry me as I travel light

• Like 1