can i enter thailand on a oneway ticket ?

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

buy a return ticket and then change the return date, i've had to do that for unexpected reasons a couple of times, it usually cost me 70GBP - 90GBP, research which airline has the cheapest return flight changing costs and fly with them. easy.

Yes.... In the largest percentage of cases it will be much cheaper to buy a round-trip ticket and pay a fee to change the return date.... than to pay 2 one-way ticket prices added together.

Another money-saver caution: Often airlines have a cheap ticket for under 90 days. If you buy that ticket then extend your stay beyoud 90 days, when you change your return date -- You will pay not only the change fee but an additional add-on fee for the next level higher ticket. Same situation occurs if you paid the price for weekday flight but request a week-end day for your return, you likely will pay an add-on fee as well.

I'd like to suggest when you are changing a ticket to ask your reservationist about any dates that are 'cheaper to change to' when making your change. Just a day or two earlier/later could be a big difference in price.

BOTTOMLINE.... Get familiar right away and compare prices of 2 one-ways vs. 1 round-trip (at least Internationally) NOT ALWAYS, but in the largest percentage of cases a round-trip ticket with 'large change fees' WILL STILL BE CHEAPEST.

DO THE MATH.  Very likely you can save money.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

In 10+ years of coming here, not once have I been asked to show an outbound ticket. Some years I’d come and go maybe 5 or 6 times on a visa waiver.

Which airline flying out of which country, would be useful info.

It's not passport control in Thailand that would ask for onward flight. They can but rarely occurs. 

The issue is with obtaining boarding pass from airline.

Edited by DrJack54

9 hours ago, samsensam said:

buy a return ticket and then change the return date, i've had to do that for unexpected reasons a couple of times, it usually cost me 70GBP - 90GBP, research which airline has the cheapest return flight changing costs and fly with them. easy.

I read most of this Thread , because I am retiring this year and I will be doing long stays , and from recent experience,  the above is the best answer yet.

Recently my wife's Mom was sick, and my wife came to Thailand to be with her, she did not know how long she would stay because of the situation,  so I bought her a one way ticket ( wife has Thai passport) .  

The one way ticket was a little more than half the price of a two way ticket,When it came time to get a return ticket for her the prices for the one way ticket out of Thailand were crazy high. 

Normally I pay about $800-1000 for a two way ticket from the US  buying two one way tickets ended up costing me close to $2,000.  

I could have bought the $800 two way ticket and changed the return date  for an average ticket change fee of $200 (tr varys by airlines) , saved almost $800 and a lot of hustle. 

Check with your airline to see what their ticket change policy is before buying your ticket.

Find a ticket online, .before purchasing the ticket, call the airline tell them that you might have to change the return date because of your situation, and for yout class of ticket what would the change policy be. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 1

On 2/8/2020 at 7:41 PM, ubonjoe said:

If you have a valid visa a return or onward ticket is not needed for entry.

But an IO has every right to deny entry and the person cant do anything. Yes he could lodge a complain from the holding cell in the airport but it will amount ot nothing. Can you give a link where it says onward ticket is not needed for  with a valid visa. 

Edited by Vascoda

On 2/8/2020 at 3:41 PM, codebunny said:

Etihad is a krap airline IMO.

I have recently entered Thailand on my own on a one-way ticket at Suwarnabhumi, no problem. I entered with a non-imm o visa. 

YMMV.

You don't need a return ticket on a non imm O visa. If the OP is turning up hoping to get a visa on arrival then he would need to show an onward flight out of Thailand or they may not let him/her enter Thailand.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

In 10+ years of coming here, not once have I been asked to show an outbound ticket. Some years I’d come and go maybe 5 or 6 times on a visa waiver.

Is that statement purely relating to Thai immigration, or do you also include when checking in overseas? 

On 2/8/2020 at 4:11 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can use a one way ticket to here and have a one way ticket to anywhere to satisfy the airline and immigration.

Unless it's Changed Joe ( Which Wouldn't be UNUSUAL ) I Entered on a One Way Ticket from Manchester some 15 Years Ago Without an Onward ticket,But only after a small argument with the Air France check in staff at Manchester but I Did ask for a Supervisor to get involved & When I Showed Him My Non-Imm " O " Based on Marriage & Told him I Lived Here & Wasn't going to return to the U.K.He then said he had NO Option but to let me travel,Although He did have me sign a Form saying that IF I Wasn't allowed to Enter Thailand I Would be responsible for my repatriation !!

4 minutes ago, geisha said:

Just buy a return ticket you can change the date on. Cost around 100 + euros.At least you’ll be saving a lot of money as one ways are very expensive ., 

I made the mistake of buying a one way ticket for my wife last spring, and when I tried to buy her anyway return it ended costing me twice as much as if I had done what you said and paid the change fee.

i will not make that mistake again. 

but before you do the above and book the ticket, chevy with the airline to see what the ticket change policy is for that airline, and that class ticket. It varies with airlines and class ticket. 

On 2/10/2020 at 10:17 AM, Jaxxper said:

Two people have asked you to clarify. Your response zip. 

I will go step further. Your post is just plain incorrect. 

Post #34 refers to obtaining boarding pass with onward ticket within 60 for visa exempt entry. That does occur at ticket counter. Seen it happen. Sometimes bit of explanation to airline staff needed.

Also seen it at consulate (Saigon) where chap explained to io that he intended to apply for extension. 

Flying into most countries visa exempt requires onward flight. 

As for Thailand it's certainly true. 

Note. There will be odd fish that slips net.

At Thai passport control the onward flight will not be asked for. Same as money not asked for. Most likely already made decision. 

Edited by DrJack54

im confused you have an onward ticket to bali. so that is good enuf?  thats how i see it. in fact many times in bkk immigratiion  when i come from usa. they dont ask for onward tickets at all. i would be more concerned boarding in dublin . they probably want to see it their...........kind of stupid all these airline tickets ,, why cant one just say they are taking a train to cambodia or malaysia..   and not produce a ticket. ?? dont they trust us 

15 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

im confused you have an onward ticket to bali. so that is good enuf?  thats how i see it. in fact many times in bkk immigratiion  when i come from usa. they dont ask for onward tickets at all. i would be more concerned boarding in dublin . they probably want to see it their...........kind of stupid all these airline tickets ,, why cant one just say they are taking a train to cambodia or malaysia..   and not produce a ticket. ?? dont they trust us 

No you cannot.

The OP is flying X Dublin. Without a visa.

He will need onward flight to anywhere within 30 days. If he opts for flight out within 60 because he intends to obtain 30 day extension at Thai imm, he MIGHT be issued boarding pass.

Edited by DrJack54

On 2/8/2020 at 5:00 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

The rules are very clear and provided by the Thai Embassy (at least the german one):

With a TV you need a return- or onward ticket.

Quite likely you'll be refused at the airline's checkin counter and if not there, you could be denied at immigration in Bangkok.

Even though there afaik no reports of people beeing denied at immigration, no one can guarantee you won't sit in the next plane to where you came from if the IO has a bad day or whatever. 

If it happens, I already can see a 50-pages topic here on TVF about the xenophobic IOs refusing a hated westerner to enter paradise. So why take the risk?

What if you are moving to Thailand with your Thai spouse to retire on a marriage visa? I thought you get the marriage visa once you are in Thailand?

Nevermind, I see you get the marriage visa in home country.

Edited by Bohemianfish
updated info

2 hours ago, Bohemianfish said:

What if you are moving to Thailand with your Thai spouse to retire on a marriage visa? I thought you get the marriage visa once you are in Thailand?

Nevermind, I see you get the marriage visa in home country.

Visas are usually obtained outside of Thailand. (Excludes *1)

You are faced with a multitude of choices.

Travel with a single Non -Imm Visa and get an extension based on marriage in Thailand.

Travel with a tourist visa or Visa Exempt, convert the entry to a Non-Imm-O in Thailand (*1), later you can get a one year marriage extension.

Come with a long stay O-A Visa (insurance required).

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

When I visit UK, I normally buy my ticket from Expedia in Thailand, and it is a BKK-LON-BKK ticket.  At check-in at LON all I have had to do is show that I have a valid visa to enter Thailand, normally a non-im retirement or the re-entry permit for the same.  Never had any questions about onward ticket, either at LON or BKK.  

This was still the case last October.

2 minutes ago, Robin said:

When I visit UK, I normally buy my ticket from Expedia in Thailand, and it is a BKK-LON-BKK ticket.  At check-in at LON all I have had to do is show that I have a valid visa to enter Thailand, normally a non-im retirement or the re-entry permit for the same.  Never had any questions about onward ticket, either at LON or BKK.  

This was still the case last October.

Thanks for your post but anyone with with reentry permit will not need onward flight. Clearly stated in this thread.

The OP is flying from Dublin asking if onward flight required. Has no visa. 

Answer YES he needs onward flight in the main to satisfy airline to issues boarding pass.

On 2/11/2020 at 1:33 AM, CharlieK said:

You don't need a return ticket on a non imm O visa. If the OP is turning up hoping to get a visa on arrival then he would need to show an onward flight out of Thailand or they may not let him/her enter Thailand.

That's a useful point... it means when you're told to "just get a tourist visa" to come back in with, after your non-imm o visa expires, you can't just do that, and say, "oh I'm going to Savannakhet after to get a non-imm o visa"... it's an important snag to avoid I reckon.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:17 AM, Jaxxper said:

I have been coming here for nearly 20 years, I was asked only once, and that was last year, when I flew in from another SEAsian country, visa free, to get a visa for that other SEAsian country. Never before that I can remember.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Jare said:

That's a useful point... it means when you're told to "just get a tourist visa" to come back in with, after your non-imm o visa expires, you can't just do that, and say, "oh I'm going to Savannakhet after to get a non-imm o visa"... it's an important snag to avoid I reckon.

No. Most setv require an onward flight in application. That is why airline check in do not require onward flight if you have a visa.

Setv at border consulates do not require flight onward 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jare said:

I have been coming here for nearly 20 years, I was asked only once, and that was last year, when I flew in from another SEAsian country, visa free, to get a visa for that other SEAsian country. Never before that I can remember.

Whatever. Let's talk flying into Thailand Recent. Forget your 20 year stuff. (with 5 posts)

Actually Im flying Saigon Friday for weekend. Back Monday. Have reentry permit to non o extension. If not and just returning to Thailand visa exempt, I WILL BE REQUIRED TO SHOW onward flight. Geez I do it every few weeks. Also know airport staff.

BTW Few months back I even got asked for onward flight flying back home to bkk from OZ, but first flying to Saigon for 3 nights. 

Have visa for Saigon but only had 5 days validity. The airline staff made me produce screenshot onward flight. 

Please post facts.

• Thanks 1

Check in farce

Guy managing the check in lines called on check in staff to open a counter for me. A girl from the economy counters rushed over and opened a counter for me. Gave her my passport and she said I had to buy a return ticket. Told her I already had a return ticket. She asked to see my itinerary. She said her terminal doesn't show further flights. Gave it to her. Showed confirmed flight from US to Jakarta and confirmed return flight from Bangkok to US.

Then she asked about the flight from Jakarta to Bangkok. Told her I hadn't bought it yet.

After more going back and forth, she called over a supervisor and they had an extended discussion.

Finally the girl used her own phone to call someone and the result of that was I was good to go.

Note that this was a jawbone itinerary, so she should have had all the details of the two flights.

I have flown this same itinerary before without any problem.

BTW she caused me further grief by asking to see my credit card and not providing the lounge pass.

• Haha 1