Food poisoning! More than 100 students taken to hospital after falling sick at athletics' meet

rooster59

Food poisoning! More than 100 students taken to hospital after falling sick at athletics' meet

poison.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

Some 126 students in the first three years of secondary at Satthasamut School in Samut Songkhram were taken  to hospital after they fell sick while watching an athletics event at the provincial stadium. 

Teachers at the school had handed out free snacks and drinks to the students in M1 - M3 around 3 pm. 

There was dry bamee noodles, orange juice and green tea to choose from. 

Soon dozens started vomiting and complaining of stomach aches.

A total of 58 were on drips at hospital, reported Thai Rath. 

They were attending the last day of a three day meet that had been opened by provincial governor Charas Bunnasa.

An investigation into the source of the suspected food poisoning is underway.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-08
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you have to watch those bamee noodles

you are a Thai ... you; It cannot be the fault of those who prepared the orange juice after going to pee or poop without having to wash their hands before coming back to prepare the eating and drinking stuff.

I have lived here for 14 years;

hygiene does not exist here;
not to mention the cold chain which is anything but properly followed.
I never buy anything frozen in this country, too afraid of ending up in the hospital with severe intestinal disturbance

• Thanks 1

"Some 126 students in the first three years of secondary at Satthasamut School in Samut Songkhram were taken  to hospital after they fell sick while watching an athletics event at the provincial stadium. "

What can learn out of this? Avoid to watch an athletics event. 

Edited by Beggar

I wonder if the Provincial Stadium had a proper kitchen for preparing the food fresh or was it brought in on a pick-up truck from elsewhere? Were there any proper washing facilities!

Quote:- 

You’ve probably heard of the some of the bad bugs that can cause food poisoning:

In 25 years here I've only had food poisoning twice. Once was from some fish a relative grilled and I lost three kilos, not a bad thing. The second time was from something I ate in an airport lounge of the national airline, and it was diagnosed by my local clinic as bronchitis. After suffering for a week I was taken to a private hospital where they told me I had severe food poisoning and would have been dead in two days. I had to pose for photos with the nurses, also not a bad thing.

Although the hospital came up with the right diagnosis and treatment the place was a joke. The water pump broke and there was no backup so no water all day. Nurses came and flushed my toilet with buckets of water they found somewhere. And the emergency button i my room didn't work, which I discovered when my drip stopped working and I summonsed assistance that never came and I had to go searching for someone.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Some 126 students in the first three years of secondary at Satthasamut School in Samut Songkhram were taken  to hospital after they fell sick while watching an athletics event at the provincial stadium

For 126 Thais to go down with stomach upset something must have been very "dodgy" !!

I can only imagine how bad the situation really was. Vomiting and shi_ting students all over the place.

I just had a very serious seafood poisoning from too old shrimp and fortunately, I had good luck and could get most out of my stomach.

I was lucky to get better without staying at a hospital. 

I do feel with the kids that they had to go there for three days and get poisoned by their teachers.

Dry bamee noodles sounds terrible to me. 

6 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In 25 years here I've only had food poisoning twice. Once was from some fish a relative grilled and I lost three kilos, not a bad thing. The second time was from something I ate in an airport lounge of the national airline, and it was diagnosed by my local clinic as bronchitis. After suffering for a week I was taken to a private hospital where they told me I had severe food poisoning and would have been dead in two days. I had to pose for photos with the nurses, also not a bad thing.

Although the hospital came up with the right diagnosis and treatment the place was a joke. The water pump broke and there was no backup so no water all day. Nurses came and flushed my toilet with buckets of water they found somewhere. And the emergency button i my room didn't work, which I discovered when my drip stopped working and I summonsed assistance that never came and I had to go searching for someone.

You'd have died in two days? That's a great reason to show you how good they were and another reason to ask for more money. 

But they were obviously not that good, don't you agree?