BANGKOK
Deserted

BTS stations and their meanings

I went to pra khanong today and was told it mesnt temple village. Mo chit is heart doctor. Chit lom is close wind. Saphan Kwai is buffalo bridge. What about the others?

สนามเป้า is an easier one.  I can’t see Heart doctor in หมอชิด.  The best I can do for ชิด is that it means to ‘be close’ or to ‘move close’.  พระขนง or พระโขนง is court language for eyebrow.  พระขนอง is court language for the ‘back’. 

The good thing about the station name boards is that they are in both Thai and English.  Listening to the announcements and imagining the spelling really shows how much practice is needed correctly hear Thai. Until I went there I didn’t say วักมังกร correctly, my ‘a‘ was too open (not ‘u’) and the last vowel too short (not กอร) 

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

I can’t see Heart doctor in หมอชิด.

'Close to Hospital/Doctors', there are four hospitals around the park.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mochit is the name of the owner of the fruit market with the same name  that was located there since 1960, moved to chatuchak area 1998.

Edited by orchis
  • Thanks 1

Nana station is named after Lek Nana, a Muslim Thai politician who owned a large amount of land in Lower Sukumvit area.

Asoke named after Ashoka, an Indian emperor.

Saphan Taksin, station and bridge named after King Taksin the Great, of Thonburi.

Simpler than that. They are mostly named after the roads/streets they cross. Which is why Asoke is Asoke but on the MRT it is Sukhumvit. Et al..

Now how the streets are named is another story.

• Like 1

I remarked to a farang on the BTS, that the names of MRT (Underground) and BTS (Sky-trains) in the same location have  different names eg. Asok  BTS Sukhumvit MRT.   He suggested that it could be useful when designating a meeting place, the stations being so far separated.  I think it confusing from the travel point of view, “Change at Asok” if on the BTS and “Change at Sukhumvit” if on the MRT.   I live near ‘Bang-Kane market’ and know better than to take a bus to Bang-kane, so it isn’t entirely surprising to me that knowledge is prized, and when lacking it, Some Thais tend to keep silent or give the wrong answer. 

Edited by tgeezer

Silom is สีลม wind mill, if you go to the west end of the road there's a sculpture /art of a windmill that used to be in the area

• Like 1

The BTS station Bearing came up for a lot of discussion a few (>5 ?) years ago. With a bit of research I showed that Soi Bearing was named after the ball bearing manufacturing workshops located on the soi. And in fact there is still at least one bearing manufacturing factory that still trades on Soi Bearing.

We've got loads more stations now.

Firstly, I got Mo CHit wrong, its not heart Doctor?

I was told Thong lo means beautiful gold

What is Udom Suk?

What is Punnawitti (sic?)

And Kheka (last stop on the line) What's that mean?

On Nut?

Chong Nonsi also?

Any ideas?

ANd don't say I can guess what Bang Sue could be. I think we can all guess that.

2 hours ago, Deserted said:

We've got loads more stations now.

Firstly, I got Mo CHit wrong, its not heart Doctor?

I was told Thong lo means beautiful gold

What is Udom Suk?

What is Punnawitti (sic?)

And Kheka (last stop on the line) What's that mean?

On Nut?

Chong Nonsi also?

Any ideas?

ANd don't say I can guess what Bang Sue could be. I think we can all guess that.

หล่อ means to pour melted metal, probably predates the use handsome.  ทองคำ is the full name for gold. ทอง is also short for brass ทองหล่อ like แบริ่ง could be named for what is made there, brass castings.  

อุดม means the highest level, สุข you know. 

วิถี means path บาทวิถี is foot path. ปุณณ could be a proper name. 

เคหะฯ เคหะ means building, this word is shortened (ฯ) which means that everyone but us knows what it stands for!  It could be เคหเศษฐศาศตร์ the science of house building or housing.   It seems a bit In the sticks for any government building, maybe a government housing enterprise.  

Edited by tgeezer

18 hours ago, tgeezer said:

เคหะฯ เคหะ means building, this word is shortened (ฯ) which means that everyone but us knows what it stands for!  It could be เคหเศษฐศาศตร์ the science of house building or housing.   It seems a bit In the sticks for any government building, maybe a government housing enterprise.  

เคหะ is short for การเคหะ department of housing but does indeed connotate government housing on 'the projects' ther's actually another การเคหะ station on the yet to open red line towards don mueang, which could cause confusion in the future

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2020 at 7:39 AM, tgeezer said:

สนามเป้า is an easier one.  I can’t see Heart doctor in หมอชิด.  The best I can do for ชิด is that it means to ‘be close’ or to ‘move close’.  พระขนง or พระโขนง is court language for eyebrow.  พระขนอง is court language for the ‘back’. 

The good thing about the station name boards is that they are in both Thai and English.  Listening to the announcements and imagining the spelling really shows how much practice is needed correctly hear Thai. Until I went there I didn’t say วักมังกร correctly, my ‘a‘ was too open (not ‘u’) and the last vowel too short (not กอร) 

So what is สนามเป้า

On 2/9/2020 at 12:38 PM, VocalNeal said:

Simpler than that. They are mostly named after the roads/streets they cross. Which is why Asoke is Asoke but on the MRT it is Sukhumvit. Et al..

Now how the streets are named is another story.

Only some of them are.