Near tie between three main parties in Irish election - exit poll

rooster59

Near tie between three main parties in Irish election - exit poll

By Padraic Halpin and Conor Humphries

2020-02-08T222200Z_3_LYNXMPEG1700H_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-IRELAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Ireland's Prime Minister (Taoiseach) Leo Varadkar arrives at the European Union leaders summit dominated by Brexit, in Brussels, Belgium October 17, 2019. REUTERS/Toby Melville

DUBLIN (Reuters) - An Irish national election exit poll on Saturday showed the three main parties on an almost identical share of the vote.

The Ipsos MRBI exit poll showed the centre-right Fine Gael of Prime Minister Leo Varadkar on 22.4%, left wing nationalists Sinn Fein on 22.3% and centre-right pre-election favourites Fianna Fail on 22.2%.

Statistically the result is a dead heat, national broadcaster RTE, which commissioned the poll, said.

Counting begins at 0900 GMT on Sunday with some results expected from the early afternoon.

Sinn Fein, the former political wing of the Irish Republican Army (IRA), had put forward too few candidates to capitalise on a surge of support attracted during the campaign.

Analysts said ahead of the vote that would mean either Fine Gael or Fianna Fail, which each ran twice as many candidates, would likely win the most seats.

Fine Gael and Fianna Fail have continuously ruled out governing with Sinn Fein and have said they will look to smaller parties to form a coalition or minority government.

Both would fall well short of a majority of seats on such a share of the vote.

(Addintional reporting by Graham Fahy; Editing by Frances Kerry, Alexander Smith and Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-09

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well it is no surprise Leo will lose his power on Eire. All his chest puffing and stomping on behalf of the EU has done him no favours. i won't be shedding any tears for him. He has made his own trouble and I as sure Karma will reward him.

The EU will just wipe him away like dirt on their shoes, as they so often do, unless he gets a gravy train posting, as an EU ambassador.

I'm surprised you prefer Sinn Fein to gain power. "Englishmen get out from our island" will be the trend of the future.

Europe supports moderately minded candidates, but EU has only so much power to keep the nationalistic movements in bay. After all, that's the work of each nation itself.

I hope you bossman, will not have to suffer the consequences of breaking the peace. Your kids perhaps will suffer, but that's another issue. You'll be safe.

2 minutes ago, TheDark said:

I'm surprised you prefer Sinn Fein to gain power. "Englishmen get out from our island" will be the trend of the future.

Europe supports moderately minded candidates, but EU has only so much power to keep the nationalistic movements in bay. After all, that's the work of each nation itself.

I hope you bossman, will not have to suffer the consequences of breaking the peace. Your kids perhaps will suffer, but that's another issue. You'll be safe.

If you know your Sinn Fein history you wouldn't need to ask as they were dead against the EU and campaigned to get out. They only changed their stance so they can claim a united Ireland.

I can see them reverting back.

Who is this bossman Wilco. I see you are a Mystic Meg with your predictions.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If you know your Sinn Fein history you wouldn't need to ask as they were dead against the EU and campaigned to get out. They only changed their stance so they can claim a united Ireland.

I can see them reverting back.

Who is this bossman Wilco. I see you are a Mystic Meg with your predictions.

Is Sinn Fein today dead against the EU as you claimed?

You are the bossman now. You won Brexit, you won all the power and the responsibilities which comes with having power. Enjoy. 

3 minutes ago, TheDark said:

Is Sinn Fein today dead against the EU as you claimed?

If you read what I said I stated were dead against the EU.

Is English your first language because if not I can understand now. We have posters here who are no,t I know that sometimes they just don't comprehend what was written.

4 minutes ago, TheDark said:

You are the bossman now. You won Brexit, you won all the power and the responsibilities which comes with having power. Enjoy

The only people I know calling others bossman are cons who are in jail to Prison Officers. Strange use of words. Thanks for stating the obvious

4 minutes ago, TheDark said:

There was a clear reason, why I asked an clarifying question from you. You talked of the past, what is the current situation?

And I answered it with this.

"They only changed their stance so they can claim a united Ireland.

I can see them reverting back"

5 minutes ago, TheDark said:

It's good that you understood the reference, bossman. You are in charge now.

Yes you are right. You are now on my ignore list..

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

And I answered it with this.

"They only changed their stance so they can claim a united Ireland.

I can see them reverting back"

Yes you are right. You are now on my ignore list..

So are you now saying that Sinn Fein supports EU, quite the opposite statement you lead us all to understand on your first post?

It's too bad if you can't handle the truth, bossman. 

• Sad 1

For all the rest. I'm kind of sorry and not so sorry the way I respond to the brexiteers.

They have been allowed to share their bigoted misinformation without consequences. I simply lower myself to their level and answer in kind to their calls of lies and often racists misinformation. 

If brexiteers are allowed to say what they say, it's bloody time that they should also be given similar type of answers. Isn't it?

• Sad 2