CONFIRMED: Thai mass shooter killed at shopping mall

Jonathan Fairfield

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I wonder how much of the official investigation will focus on how it was that a soldier in, what is essentially a peace time army, (with the exception of the south) was able to amass such a large amount of weaponry.

I read somewhere that he had around 700 rounds of ammunition. That should never be possible in normal peacetime circumstances.

34 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Unless one's national Consutution has an amendment that permits it.

If people actually read the articles they would know that after shooting his CO (and the CO's Mother-in-law) the shooter then went to the armoury on his base, shot the person on guard and stole weapons and ammo from there.

"Peacetime" has nothing at all to do with the military storing weapons and ammo on it's bases. It is quite normal and yes, I have 22 years of first hand experience with the matter (in the Canadian military).
ps: a standard "case" of 5.56mm ammo holds 1,000 rounds of ammo.
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQQjo87WsUcBva0iKRVdkguMFzBxKHCniiFNTXUVHLeuSfDsv49

• Like 2

A post with a Twitter post and the replies have been removed as this is not a Twitter site.

A post containing unattributed information has been removed as well as the replies, please include a valid link to the source of information when posting. 

Some troll posts and replies have been removed. 

59 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

If people actually read the articles they would know that after shooting his CO (and the CO's Mother-in-law) the shooter then went to the armoury on his base, shot the person on guard and stole weapons and ammo from there.

"Peacetime" has nothing at all to do with the military storing weapons and ammo on it's bases. It is quite normal and yes, I have 22 years of first hand experience with the matter (in the Canadian military).

What would be the weight of that?

4 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Plus the can weight of about 3lbs?

Been a while but yeah, now you jogged my memory I think I was thinking of just the rounds, 30 lb in old money does sound right for a full ammo box.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, LennyW said:

The newspaper that cannot be named updated at 9.23 (20 minutes ago) this morning says 25 confirmed dead and the hunt is still on for the shooter, who to believe?????

'Following Nakhon Ratchasima's shooting rampage, which left 30 people dead, including the gunman, and 57 others injured, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Sunday ordered a review of security measures at the military's armouries.'

Grumpy is getting touchy.   There was ONE guard on the armory; bullets AND guns stored together!  Barn door/horse bolted - usual story; Thailand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

What, read the lead story and follow up so asto understand what it's all about, nah! don't have time for that - too busy shooting himself in the foot. 

2 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmm... he won’t be killing any more people, that’s for sure

No, but what set him off is endemic. Others will follow his lead. You can not have the lowest of the economics totem pole be subserviant all the time. Eventually they will explode. I am not saying this is right, just pointing out that thosee trod upon all thier lives will seek address.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 9:31 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Korat carnage death toll 27; suspect had conflict with his commander: PM

n1.jpeg

Twenty-seven people were killed in the Korat mass shooting, including the suspect, while 57 people were injured, Prime Minister General Prayut Cha-o-cha said on Sunday.

In a press conference held at Maharat Nakhon Ratchasima Hospital, he said 32 people were severely injured and eight had to undergo surgery.

The prime minister said that such an incident had never happened and he hoped it would never happen again. He said the public sector must learn from the tragedy how to handle similar situations in the future.

The government was shocked by the event, but it was ready to provide mental and financial support to the families of the victims, he said.

He expressed his gratitude to people who had donated blood, exemplifying the unity of the country when all sections of society collaborate.

Speaking about the motive for the carnage, the PM said the suspect, a soldier, was involved in the brokerage business with his commander and they had a conflict.

Earlier reports had suggested that they did a property brokerage business together, which reportedly led to a conflict and the suspect killing his commander and going on a shooting spree.

The PM warned the media against reporting news in a way that would aggravate an already divided society, by making reference to political conflicts between conservatives and liberal camps.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381863

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-09

n2.jpeg
n3.jpeg
n4.jpeg
n5.jpeg
n6.jpeg

The story doesn't tell the obvious. He was stone cold crazy!

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Questions need to be asked: Given that a soldier is often armed with lethal weapons on a daily basis, what measures are in place to test their mental capacity to hold such weapons? How, even though it seems he was already armed, was this man able to access an assault rifle and large amounts of ammunition?

At one point he must have been 'a good guy with a gun'

Impossible to predict who will snap and who will not.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He's my only son. .... "I allowed him to do anything he wanted to. I never set expectations for him. I only wanted him to be a good person."

I am so sorry for you and your family - but I have to tell you (and many other Thai parents) this kind of bringing a child up would not have made him a good person - in the contrary

the general turned up at 11am and made a rambling speech outside the hospital in khorat, (he arrived smiling and waving as if he were opening a carnival), he warned the thai media not to speculate or dwell too much on the causes in case the foreign media misunderstood the situation in Thailand, resulting in bad publicity re. Thailand image

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

This is of course, very, very sad and an absolute nightmare for the relatives of those killed. Had my gf not decided to go home rather than wait longer for her son who was involved in a nearby art competition - she would still have been in T21 - as it happens she left at 1:30pm otherwise things could have been very different. We have friends involved as do so many families in Korat. I'm so sorry for all the innocent victims of this horrific event - it saddens me that this is the second mass shooting in Isaan in a very short period.

However, I am almost as saddened by the comments of many members here regarding the shooter. I hope for your sakes you never have to deal with mental illness and have people call you scum, sicko and all the other names that have been hurled at the guy who carried out this attack. There but for the grace of god.....................

It should be clear to any reasonable person that he was very ill - as I said in an earlier post, no sane person could do what he did. The dispute with his boss was the trigger but I strongly suspect he had underlying mental issues. Also, as I said earlier, its rare for a person with these mental traits to not show signs that something was wrong a while back. What measures do the RTA have in place to check the mental state of the people it entrusts with lethal weapons?

I think the warning signs were there. I looked at his Facebook account before they shut it down. He seemed quite unstable and obviously very obsessed 24/7 with posting photos and videos of guns himself shooting and handling guns. 

I know quite a few military in Thailand and actually have a close friend who died in the deep south not long back. Their attitudes and his attitude were nothing like this individuals. 

• Thanks 1

Running amok is a culture-bound syndrome, affecting Austronesian people (example: ethnic Malays) in Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and the Philippines. I think at least some Thai people should be included in the list. The ethnic Chinese in Malaysia don't suffer from this problem. Occasionally one would hear some ethnic Malay in Malaysia and Indonesia would go on a killing spree after some anger over something. Fortunately, gun-ownership rate in Malaysia is pretty low so the amok usually go on a chopping spree with a machete.

Running amok

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

the general turned up at 11am and made a rambling speech outside the hospital in khorat, (he arrived smiling and waving as if he were opening a carnival), he warned the thai media not to speculate or dwell too much on the causes in case the foreign media misunderstood the situation in Thailand, resulting in bad publicity re. Thailand image

Misunderstand, pretty hard to misunderstand that a military nutter has gone troppo and killed a great number of people. 

What we knows is, the little general isn't misunderstood - the majority fully understand, he shouldn't be the countries leader - very clear and simple. 

5 hours ago, Nakmuay887 said:

I think the warning signs were there. I looked at his Facebook account before they shut it down. He seemed quite unstable and obviously very obsessed 24/7 with posting photos and videos of guns himself shooting and handling guns. 

Yes, I believe that similar obsessions have been demonstrated by mass shooters in other countries.

This may to point towards deeper problems:

'The mother, whose name has been withheld, told officials there was little point in talking to her son “as he had depression and an extremely bad temper”. '

Edited by KhaoYai

21 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

This is of course, very, very sad and an absolute nightmare for the relatives of those killed. Had my gf not decided to go home rather than wait longer for her son who was involved in a nearby art competition - she would still have been in T21 - as it happens she left at 1:30pm otherwise things could have been very different. We have friends involved as do so many families in Korat. I'm so sorry for all the innocent victims of this horrific event - it saddens me that this is the second mass shooting in Isaan in a very short period.

However, I am almost as saddened by the comments of many members here regarding the shooter. I hope for your sakes you never have to deal with mental illness and have people call you scum, sicko and all the other names that have been hurled at the guy who carried out this attack. There but for the grace of god.....................

It should be clear to any reasonable person that he was very ill - as I said in an What measures do the RTA have in place to check the mental state of the people it entrusts with lethal weapons? earlier post, no sane person could do what he did. The dispute with his boss was the trigger but I strongly suspect he had underlying mental issues. Also, as I said earlier, its rare for a person with these mental traits to not show signs that something was wrong a while back. What measures do the RTA have in place to check the mental state of the people it entrusts with lethal weapons?

"What measures do the RTA have in place to check the mental state of the people it entrusts with lethal weapons?" Including the Generals? Thai history has shown that they can't be trusted with lethal weapons.

So the idiots in charge will never be able to say sorry and accept how wrong they are ?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/10/thais-mourn-shooting-victims-criticism-pm-media

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/09/rogue-soldier-shot-dead-after-thai-shopping-mall-massacre

Easier to just be a corrupted gangster than do a good official job it seems !