Windows 10 Performance is Very Poor

Mario666

6 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

Hi

I think you've already got it!

Open Ccleaner -> Tools -> StartUp and Delete or (if you are note sure) Disable stuff you think you don't need.

I'm ruthless and only leave VPN and AVG in there ... but stuff does sneak back in ...

BUT ... the problem is probably is NOT software ... look at replacing your C : drive with a small cheap SSD drive ...

If Windows 10  does not start up inside 30 seconds with an SSD (and maybe minimum of 8 gb RAM) then problem is probably viral and time to look at backing up your data and re-installing clean copy of Windows.

Capture.JPG.6c3433c6c2c39806a71a1024d81e2735.JPG

Ruthless, but you are running AVG? Get rid.

Why do you need Adobe Reader Speed Launcher?? Disable.

You can disable Smart Cleaner Monitoring within the program's interface.

• Like 2

Thank you for your replies.

I am running an HP Laptop with 1Tb HD, 8Gb Ram and Rzyen  5 3500U with Radeon Graphics.

I know how to go to "Start Up" in Task Manager and CCleaner, but they do not offer the option to stop all the CR*AP I am talking about....

I agree that AVG and Malware Bytes are very Bothersome, take memory and refuse to be disabled easily.....But I am reluctant to remove them and rely on Windows Defender!

Also I primarily use Firefox, but Microsoft Edge seems to load itself without asking all the time and always 5 Concurrent  F*cking Sessions!

:thumbsup:

Edited by Mario666
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

(a) actual device is nice to have but largely irrelevant these days ... any device capable of supporting WIN10 should almost by definition be capable of starting up inside 30 seconds

(b) OK, maybe OP has posted in not the appropriate forum ... who hasn't done that in their lives ? ... but why default to being snarky about it?

What a silly post.

Actual device is important as a starting point.

Someone running a newish HP, but with a Pentium N5000 and a slow HDD for example is going to run into problems after installing more bloat. As they have.

Do we know if they are running an HDD or SSD? No we don't, so that is why we need to know exactly what they are running.

Pointing out that they have not posted in the appropriate forum should hopefully spur them on to request Admin move it to the correct forum, in order to glean more useful replies.

Unfortunately, yours is not one of them, containing literally no useful information at all.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

Thank you for your replies.

I am running an HP Laptop with 1Tb HD, 8Gb Ram and Rzyen  5 3500U with Radeon Graphics.

After all these updates, the machine will keep old systems and plenty of files you do not need anymore.

First, I'd clean my drive C by right clicking, go on properties, then click on disc cleaning. 

Delete all the unnecessary system restore points and keep only two. 

Forget CCleaner, free AVG, etc. If you want a decent program to do all your tasks in one, please try a trial version of System Mechanic.

This will clean your registry, get rid of all junk files, you'll have an extended Application and Features manager and you can choose your startup programs. ( PLus a few more features. If you like the program. look for it on e-bay.)

Here's the trial of System mechanic: https://www.iolo.com/downloads/download-system-mechanic/

8 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

The answer is to fit an SSD within. That is what is holding your system back. Also get rid of most of the useless programs you have installed.

How do you know if that's the problem? If the HD dies, sooner, or later, replacing it with an SSD drive. 

But not when old junk and programs slow it down. 

Again, it helps to know the exact model, since that will have a bearing on how easy it will be for you to fit an appropriate SSD.

If you are not competent enough to fit an SSD yourself, you really should not buy a laptop with the old tech HDD.

Unfortunately, because you've posted in the wrong place, the quantity and quality of replies may be limited.

But, you have enough to be getting along. 

If we assume that the laptop is this one; https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c06294061

then we can look for a guide as to how to fit an SSD to the particular model. Which is why it is always useful to post the exact model in the first instance. Then we are rolling from the very first post, instead of having to ask multiple questions about the specification.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you all again for your replies.

I apologise if I posted in the "Wrong Forum"?

I thought I had posted in "General Topics".

Please can a Moderator move this for me?

I assume my HD is a conventional rather than SSD...I am not a hardware guy?

With XP and Windows 7 you could just go to Ms.config and choose the Startup programs...With Windows 10 you can't,

Sure you can. Open msconfig, then the task manager, then "autostart" and deactivate everything you don't want to have.

No need to use additional tools.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Please don't encourage people to use this totally unnecessary bloat. 

I was one of the first who upgraded to W 10 Pro. I've tried various programs and found out that this program is really one of the finest ones.

It's in no way an "totally unnecessary bloat" If you don't believe me, please tell me how this program could get 4.5 out of 5?

You sound like a farmer. Stuff you don't know must be bad.

I've tried almost all programs that are currently on the market and it works well for me/. Very good. 

https://sea.pcmag.com/system-performance-products/2880/iolo-system-mechanic

Edited by Isaanbiker

Just now, pdtokyo said:

Thanks but read my post ... Adobe speed launcher one of those that 'does sneak in',  ... i did the screen shot before deleting it for the n th time.

... and as for your advice on AVG ... thanks but i've been personally using the free version many years and a very happy (non-paying) customer ... and as an ex-IT pro have installed it on 100s of work devices. Zer ... problems ... ever.

"Get rid" isn't even gramatically correct, but of course that will be forgiven if you have some inside knowledge to justify slagging the product and share it with us all.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3516502/report-avast-and-avg-collect-and-sell-your-personal-info-via-their-free-antivirus-programs.html

Colloquial English. Simply shortened from "Get rid of it". English forum. Colloquial English.

As soon as someone states "IT Pro" I know exactly with what I am dealing ????

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

My guess is the OP has bought an Acer swift 3 and can confirm its as slow as a commodore 64 with an asthma attack out of the box its a 24000 baht dog???? 

He states it's an HP. Quite possibly this one; https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c06294061

Main issue is the disappointingly slow 5400 RPM spinning disk drive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Whenever I buy a new laptop I format it, reinstall win10(or whatever it was at the time) turn off all the background junk and am good to go. Most Laptops if not all come with loads of bloatware you dont need or want, easier for me to format. I also do some hardware research before buying ????

10 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

All you need to know OP is on this thread. Windows10 Debloater works like a dream

Thank you Bar Tender for your helpful reply.

Some others are not so generous!

28 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

The answer is to fit an SSD within. That is what is holding your system back. Also get rid of most of the useless programs you have installed.

Exactly, you need a fast sdd drive, not an old harddisk which is much slower.

Mine can boot anything within 10 seconds, no matter what....but of course a former computer sales already knew this so solly to bother you.

10 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

My guess is the OP has bought an Acer swift 3 and can confirm its as slow as a commodore 64 with an asthma attack out of the box its a 24000 baht dog???? 

Do you own one? 24k should get a good specification.

Perhaps needs some de-bloating.

1 minute ago, Mario666 said:

Thank you Bar Tender for your helpful reply.

Some others are not so generous!

I think everyone has been equally generous. You should be more careful with your words.

Almost everyone posting on this thread has tried to help you, with the exception of thedemon.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

On this thread we already have an "ex-IT Pro" and now the first person to have installed Windows 10 Pro....

I don't feel the need to post my credentials, though I think it's fair to state that I know something about the subject. ????

Best I leave you to it, since I'm clearly not going to convince you otherwise.

The OP wanted to have advice how he could have his PC faster. Of course would an SSD drive and a new installation on an SSD drive make this laptop very fast.

I've upgraded and fixed enough PC's and laptops now to be able to differentiate between a good and bad program, what's useful and what's more a joke.

Why would I waste so much time and post something that I'm not aware of?

With deleting some restore points, I didn't mean all of them. Some machines have all the junk from earlier installations and getting rid of them can only make it faster.

Creating one restore point before and one after running System Mechanic should be enough.

I could free 10 GB on my main PC deleting all the old ( Windows) system files. Have a great day. 

18 minutes ago, pdtokyo said:

Thanks but read my post ... Adobe speed launcher one of those that 'does sneak in',  ... i did the screen shot before deleting it for the n th time.

... and as for your advice on AVG ... thanks but i've been personally using the free version many years and a very happy (non-paying) customer ... and as an ex-IT pro have installed it on 100s of work devices. Zer ... problems ... ever.

"Get rid" isn't even gramatically correct, but of course that will be forgiven if you have some inside knowledge to justify slagging the product and share it with us all.

Adobe Reader. More bloat. Relatively huge and largely unnecessary program.

Ironic that you misspelled 'gramatically'(sic) whilst attempting to berate me for using "get rid". ????

But all in good humour. :wai: