Patong traffic checks

bangkokbrain

2 hours ago, bangkokbrain said:

checking driving licenses before issuing random fines.

Was told by a friend, so cannot confirm it first hand, that now if farangs are stopped, they have to show either a Thai driving licence or an international driving licence, whereas a licence issued in their own country is now not accepted.

Apparently a 1000 baht fine is the penalty for this – – anyone have any update on this?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are also lots of police officers on the street near Klong Toey fresh market.

I saw them stopping a pick up and a motorcycle with a Thai.

They didn't stop me - they didn't even try.

Perhaps Bangkok police have a different target audience?

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Was told by a friend, so cannot confirm it first hand, that now if farangs are stopped, they have to show either a Thai driving licence or an international driving licence, whereas a licence issued in their own country is now not accepted.

Apparently a 1000 baht fine is the penalty for this – – anyone have any update on this?

These motorists were fined 500 baht if they only had their national licence from what I could see and hear.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, noise said:

The law has always required a Thai license or International License for the type of vehicle being operated.  Enforcement is a separate issue.

No. Home license provided with photo and in English suffices. They might still try though. Of course for a scooter a full motorbike license is required.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

No. Home license provided with photo and in English suffices. They might still try though. Of course for a scooter a full motorbike license is required.

This point has always been debated here on Thaivisa. I consider this is correct if not staying in Thailand more than 90 (??) days. Then Thai license is required. 

11 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

This point has always been debated here on Thaivisa. I consider this is correct if not staying in Thailand more than 90 (??) days. Then Thai license is required. 

Agree, but we were talking about requirements for tourists here.

19 hours ago, xylophone said:

From what I know where I live you cannot even rent a bike without a IDL That covers the bike also the hire shope are getting a 2000 Baht fine

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I know a Farang that got stopped and everything was in order or so he thought then the police said to him Farang not allowed to wear a Black helmet 500 Baht fine

…and if he’d also been wearing a yellow wife-beater tee shirt he’d have got 25 years to life…

????

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, billythehat said:

…and if he’d also been wearing a yellow wife-beater tee shirt he’d have got 25 years to life…

????

Maybe he wasn't wearing a shirt at all, which is of course not allowed.

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2020 at 5:11 PM, xylophone said:

Your friend doesn't know that there's no such thing as an "international driving license". There is however a thing called an "international drivers permit" which is a book thing that you use together with your drivers license from your home country.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2020 at 6:45 PM, noise said:

The law has always required a Thai license or International License for the type of vehicle being operated.  Enforcement is a separate issue.

I doubt that the law "always" allowed an international license. I'm pretty sure that the law states you need your international licsnes PLUS an international drivers permit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, bbi1 said:

I doubt that the law "always" allowed an international license. I'm pretty sure that the law states you need your international licsnes PLUS an international drivers permit.

Home license (provided in English with photo) is sufficient.

• Like 1