Patong traffic checks

bangkokbrain

On 2/9/2020 at 1:11 PM, xylophone said:

Was told by a friend, so cannot confirm it first hand, that now if farangs are stopped, they have to show either a Thai driving licence or an international driving licence, whereas a licence issued in their own country is now not accepted.

Foreign drivers licence with no IDP was never actually legal anyway.

As to the stops themselves. Ones near Bangla always target foreigners, but ones away from Bangla (have one regularly near my house) ignore farang and target either Thais and/or Burmese

Edited by Lashay
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lashay said:

Foreign drivers licence with no IDP was never actually legal anyway.

As to the stops themselves. Ones near Bangla always target foreigners, but ones away from Bangla (have one regularly near my house) ignore farang and target either Thais and/or Burmese

"Foreign drivers licence with no IDP was never actually legal anyway."

Provided in English and with photo they are valid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

"Foreign drivers licence with no IDP was never actually legal anyway."

Provided in English and with photo they are valid.

Not by law, just for years most cops would accept licences in English without IDP, now in Patong they don't anymore.

Another thing that burns people, many country's have an "allowance" on car licence for bikes up to certain CC. Thailand does not that such an allowance, which is why both your home licence and IDP have to be specifically endorsed for bikes.

Also if here long term, after 60 days on tourist visa and 90 days on Non Imm visas, you are meant to get a Thai drivers licence.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lashay said:

Not by law, just for years most cops would accept licences in English without IDP, now in Patong they don't anymore.

Another thing that burns people, many country's have an "allowance" on car licence for bikes up to certain CC. Thailand does not that such an allowance, which is why both your home licence and IDP have to be specifically endorsed for bikes.

Also if here long term, after 60 days on tourist visa and 90 days on Non Imm visas, you are meant to get a Thai drivers licence.

No. See your link, in English is legal. I agree that an IDP prevents problems, and yes, for a motorbike or even scooter a full motorbike license is required.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

No. See your link, in English is legal. I agree that an IDP prevents problems, and yes, for a motorbike or even scooter a full motorbike license is required.

From the link

"Foreigners wanting to drive in Thailand – but do not yet have a Thai driver’s license – must hold an “International Driving Permit” (IDP) issued in their home country."

"That means any person wanting to drive in Thailand by using a driver’s license not issued in Thailand – and especially those not issued in English -- must have BOTH a valid license issued in their home country AND an IDP in order to legally drive in Thailand."

Chutinan Jindachuea, Chief, License Division, Phuket Provincial Transport Office.

"In short, if you don’t want to be fined for driving illegally while on holiday here, get an IDP from your home country before getting on the plane."

– Lt Surapong Phuhgrom, Inspector, Kathu Traffic Police.

You can deny it all you want but your opinion does really not matter, the law does. These are the rules/laws you will be fined under (and clauses to have your insurance payout denied in case of accident). Good luck arguing with cops or insurance 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lashay said:

From the link

"Foreigners wanting to drive in Thailand – but do not yet have a Thai driver’s license – must hold an “International Driving Permit” (IDP) issued in their home country."

"That means any person wanting to drive in Thailand by using a driver’s license not issued in Thailand – and especially those not issued in English -- must have BOTH a valid license issued in their home country AND an IDP in order to legally drive in Thailand."

Chutinan Jindachuea, Chief, License Division, Phuket Provincial Transport Office.

"In short, if you don’t want to be fined for driving illegally while on holiday here, get an IDP from your home country before getting on the plane."

– Lt Surapong Phuhgrom, Inspector, Kathu Traffic Police.

You can deny it all you want but your opinion does really not matter, the law does. These are the rules/laws you will be fined under (and clauses to have your insurance payout denied in case of accident). Good luck arguing with cops or insurance 

It is not my opinion that matters but the law. And the law is very clear: no IDP required provided home license is in English, has photo and a mutual agreement exists, like the Vienna convention. This is also why in Western countries a Thai license is recognised for a limited time, quite often 3 months or 90 days.

The insurance statement is just scaremongering, unless you can point to an example where a valid license was present but coverage was denied due to not being in possession of IDP?

But yes, it still makes sense to have an IDP in order to prevent problems with the police.

• Like 1

........................... and back on topic. There was a lone traffic cop by Soi Sunset today flagging down the annoying 'French' big bike riders. I almost wondered if he was freelancing as the big checkpoint was elsewhere. Clearly the end of the month as there were a few other checkpoints out and about as well. but were only stopping motorbikes.

Phuket Town cops had a big checkpoint southbound on the bypass road.

Kamala Kops were asleep as usual though as they seem to have enough income generators on the go.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

I’m coming here for a holiday soon but still don’t have a motorbike license, what’s the best way to get around? I assume it’s not worth renting a bike with checkpoints everywhere..

Rent a car or/and walk.

8 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

I’m coming here for a holiday soon but still don’t have a motorbike license, what’s the best way to get around? I assume it’s not worth renting a bike with checkpoints everywhere..

Depends what you want to do and where you are staying. Get a smart card and use the airport buses to go along the coast road or use the local buses into Phuket town and Central, etc. Around Patong use a MB taxi if you don't want to walk.

Edited by Psimbo
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 12:42 PM, Psimbo said:

Depends what you want to do and where you are staying. Get a smart card and use the airport buses to go along the coast road or use the local buses into Phuket town and Central, etc. Around Patong use a MB taxi if you don't want to walk.

thanks, staying in patong but wanted the visit the other tourist areas, so that smart card sounds the best bet