BANGKOK
murikamba

How do you know if two Passports are Linked

5 hours ago, legend49 said:

My Australian colleague is also located in west Africa  is head of security of 4 mines and has spent all his life in " global security work" . He shows me an app on his PC that is a global database that has every persons travel listed once you enter details. So we put my Aussie passport number in, OMG it listed places I forgotten I had visited plus it showed details of my UK passport and travel. That's all I am going to say , have a happy trip and pray no smart ##s immigration person does a thorough check on your arrival.

Sorry, but there is no such facility that will give you, or anyone else, the details of all your past travel by just entering your passport number into a computer app.

The only people (or should I say companies) that would have details of your past individual travel arrangements would be the separate airline/ferry/train companies, with whom you have travelled.   This being the case, what you are suggesting is that all these companies’ computer databases are in some way linked and that anyone can just tap in a passport number and see where that person has travelled.

Sorry but not a ‘cat in hells’ chance.  Firstly, no travel company is going to share your travel data with their competitors for obvious commercial reasons.  Secondly, most countries have data protection laws which limit, if not prevent the sharing of personal data without good or lawful cause.  Thirdly, linking all these hundreds of thousands of travel company database throughout the world would be a logistical nightmare and the bandwidth needed to complete just one search would probably bring down the internet

Of course another conspiracy theory is that every countries’ immigration database are linked and that anyone can just enter a person’s passport number and see which countries someone has been too.  Again, not a ‘cat in hells’ chance of such a facility existing.  Governments do share information for national security reasons but only on a case-by-case basis and they would certainly not give access to such information to any member of the public via an app.

FYI…. I spent over 10 years of my life as a principle co-ordinator on the joint NSA – GCHQ eBorder project following 911.  My contribution to this project included overseeing the design, development, testing and installation of various eBorder systems such as machine readable travel documents, ePassports (so called biometric passports) and the Advance Passenger Information System (APIS).  Following my retirement from the project I have continued to work with both national security agencies on a consultancy basis and to this date I’ve never seen or heard of such an app as you describe. 

If such an app does exist, please share the details as I’m sure every TV member would love to access it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No worries ,OP.

You might have enough time to think about your situation when you're in a detention cell.

Do you really think that they're that stupid? 

4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

o worries ,OP.

You might have enough time to think about your situation when you're in a detention cell.

Do you really think that they're that stupid? 

I mostly travel from Singapore. If they deny me, I will be sent back to Singapore. No problem. Can they deny EV visa if I have a prior entry denial? I will continue with two passports till I am denied entry. Also, is there any report of entry denial at UDP. May be I switch to UDP airport and travel to KL, instead of Singapore.

2 hours ago, murikamba said:

...Can they deny EV visa if I have a prior entry denial?...

What do you mean with EV vis@?

40 minutes ago, Salerno said:

I was thinking ED Visa.

Thank you, Salerno, but now I have a dilemma. If the OP, to whom I addressed the question, does not answer it, am to to take this as his tacit confirmation that your guess, ie your thinking, is correct?

The reasonable action for me to take, I believe, is to wait and see whether the OP replies and if he does not I shall assume that he is no longer interested in an answer to his question.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, murikamba said:

I mostly travel from Singapore. If they deny me, I will be sent back to Singapore. No problem. Can they deny EV visa if I have a prior entry denial? I will continue with two passports till I am denied entry. Also, is there any report of entry denial at UDP. May be I switch to UDP airport and travel to KL, instead of Singapore.

We've had reports from people who were denied entry for the bogus reason of spending "too much" time in Thailand and who then applied for an Elite visa. They got the Elite visa and it fixed their issues, so a denial of entry in itself shouldn't lead to a rejection.

Also, some people who spent "too much" time in Thailand were advised by IOs that they should apply for an Elite visa. It's seen as a proper visa for long-term tourism.

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1

I have 2 passports and immigration asked me about it when entering one time.  No drama it was just a question, do you also have a xx passport, I said yes and that was it. I've used both to enter / exit Thailand but now only use my passport with the Thai visa in it.

This is an interesting post. I've lived here for almost 6 years by having two passports (NZ and UK) on a combination of TR and ED visas. I'm pretty confident they wernt linked as I'd be warned by an IO when entering on my first passport at the airport and then re enter 3 months later on my 2nd passport with no problems. However this was all before the bioscanners were introduced last year and I then became a bit more cautious. Before September 2019, I could have confidentally siad they do not link your passports, otherwise I wouldn't have lived here so long. Now they have my finger prints, I'm not so sure as I have attempted to swap passports since then. Will report back if I have a definite answer in the near future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, London Boy said:

Before September 2019, I could have confidentally siad they do not link your passports, otherwise I wouldn't have lived here so long. 

I can assure you that your two passports are linked within the Immigration system.  Please read my post #20 for details of how its done.

FYI....  The fact that Immigration are now using fingerprinting on arrival/exit will not affect how the system links two computers together.

There's nothing wrong or illegal about having two passports provided they are your own and you always remember when leaving to hand the same passport to the IO as you used to enter.

Given your long term stay within the Kingdom, the problem will possibly come when the IO decides to look at your entry/exit history which involves him/her having to drill down several layers into the system.  Your history is not automatically displayed when the IO scans your passport.   In the history screen the system will display your entry/exit history in cronological order from both passports.

The IO wont be concerned about you having two passport, but may want an explaination as to why you have spent so much time in the Kingdom.

Edited by 007 RED
Typo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 007 RED said:

I can assure you that your two passports are linked within the Immigration system.  Please read my post #20 for details of how its done.

FYI....  The fact that Immigration are now using fingerprinting on arrival/exit will not affect how the system links two computers together.

There's nothing wrong or illegal about having two passports provided they are your own and you always remember when leaving to hand the same passport to the IO as you used to enter.

Given your long term stay within the Kingdom, the problem will possibly come when the IO decides to look at your entry/exit history which involves him/her having to drill down several layers into the system.  Your history is not automatically displayed when the IO scans your passport.   In the history screen the system will display your entry/exit history in cronological order from both passports.

The IO wont be concerned about you having two passport, but may want an explaination as to why you have spent so much time in the Kingdom.

I know this isn't true because I was stopped and interagated at DM, coming back from Yangon in 2016. They printed out my entries and were looking for a reason to deny me entry. As we went through the entires, it was only my UK passport that history that was available to them. They did let me in on that occassion, as I was able to show a flight out within two months.

Matching people with the various passports that they carry is one of the simplest tasks that any immigration database will do. Just have to match name/dob/place of birth/gender etc "simple database query 101".

The system will definitely "soft match" any passports you hold, only issue is how well trained the IO is. In Thailand, the land of smiles/incompetence there is a slight chance it is not matched on maybe the first presentation. However, it will be picked up pretty quickly on second or 3rd presentation and is definitely not a long term solution. 

For what it is worth I have been in computing for a long time. It would actually be hard to design an immigration system that doesn't match various different passports easy. Just basic basic stuff. 

Edited by G950
Always check your spelling kiddies