Convert retirement visa to a marriage visa.

want to Convert 12 month retirement non 0 visa extension  to a marriage visa.  when the best time to do this ? is it simple ? .or will i have to start again what extra information would i need? would i have to wait till the retirement extension needs to be renewed? or best to do any time ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Dont listen to the naysayers ,we were married in the UK ,so the paperwork to prove it was the most difficult part(luckily i was on holiday there and did it then) apart from that 4 weeks ago i changed at Jomtien ,there was more paperwork involved ,but the list has been posted by UBanjoe,apart from the fact i had to photocopy a few more pages while i was there and it took a bit longer ,there was no problem ,same when immegration came to our house ,over in 15 minutes ,all smiles .

One thing my wife is quite articulate so i let her do all the talking .

Every immigration office isn't that straightforward as Jomtien Immigration. There's been reports about people having big problems at several immigration offices  when changing reason for the 1 year extension, like going from retirement to marriage. 

Edited by Max69xl

4 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Paperwork for a marriage extension is little different from a retirement extension and as you do it 30 days before your previous extension expires there is plenty of time for corrections.

You might lose 30 days of next 1 year extension when applying 30 days before the extension expires. Meaning you'll get only 11 months instead of 12.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Why unnecessarily tie up large sums of cash in banks if you don't have to?

Because the alternatives may seem more onerous to some. Being unable to travel for a month, having to supply photographs and copies above and beyond, and enduring a home visit by scrounging goons and having to be behoven to neighbours for guarantee like some deviant. Have a marital issue, and your residence is compromised. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, cnxgary said:

Once married, can a person apply for a new extension immediately or does one have to wait until there is 30 days or less remaining on the existing extension?

It depends upon the office you apply at. Many will not do the change of the reason for your extension until near the end of it.

Also your new extension will start from the date you apply instead of at the end of your current one.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 10:43 AM, cnxgary said:

As I understand it a person can be married at any Amphur Office but do the witnesses need to be from the Amphur where the marriage is registered?

I was married in Bangkok, registered in Bangkok, but my witnesses were my wife's parents who came down from Ubon. That was 4 months ago.

Edited by WalkingOrders
Clarity

22 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

Does anyone know if you can also do it the other way round ? I have a visa based on marriage,but would like to change it to retirement visa (divorce imminent).

Yes you can change the reason for you extension from marriage to retirement. 

29 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

Does anyone know if you can also do it the other way round ? I have a visa based on marriage,but would like to change it to retirement visa (divorce imminent).

Many thanks.

Just have to get the financials started, money in the bank or proving 65,000 per month.

Will she let you keep it until it is due or will she force a cancellation?

On 2/9/2020 at 5:58 PM, docspinoff said:

want to Convert 12 month retirement non 0 visa extension  to a marriage visa.

I did this after year one (now year 5) and to be honest, those that told me that it is more difficult, were correct, that said, the process is handled in the immigration office and onforwarded to another office for approval, so they have to make sure everything is in order, whereas the retirement extension is done inhouse, so it doesn't have to be onforwarded and checked.

The above said, it's the same process (once a year), so I will keep getting the wife to do it, as it's much easier for me to put up with it all.

They will want to come to your home, take some pictures, (once), possibly ask for some money for fuel, 1,000 baht, a few additional papers, a map, etc, etc, and annually updated married certificate from the local Amphure.

Do it the same time as you other one is coming up for renewal however allow a bit of time in case your papers aren't all in order.

• Like 1

I changed this year from retirement to marriage ,to be honest apart from the fact you need some more paperwork(you have plenty of time to do it) it was quite easy ,followed Ubonjoes list that he put online ,and as we live close to all offices like Amphur and town hall , was not a problem . the home visit was no big deal ,one was more interested in talking about where i came from ,while the wife chatted to the other two ,they never left the front room except to take a picture outside the house and sitting at the table

• Like 1

Changed  O-A retirement to O-A marriage at Udon Thani last month using Ubonjoes checklist. Udon required a copy of wife’s name change to mine and one witness at IO when I did the paperwork and a different witness during the home visit. Home visit was short and at our convenience, the wanted to come in the morning and wife was busy so told them to come at 2 in the afternoon.  The IO called today to let me know the approval had come back from Kohn Kean.  As stated in other posts when making a change the effect date is the day you hand in the paper work.  My old extension was good until 19 Jan the new date is 13 Jan, so if making the change don’t do it too early.  My thanks to ubonjoe and Peter Denis for all the guidance.