How to get residency certificate from US embassy?

Hello, I'm a US citizen staying in Bangkok with a Non-Immigrant Retirement visa.  I'm going to renew my thai driver license, and one of the requirements is something called a "letter of residency."  I tried looking for what this is exactly.  It seems I have two choices.  I can go through the living hell which is Chaengwattana, or get a letter from my US embassy.  But the embassy website has no information about this.  Does anyone have any helpful advice on obtaining this letter?  I have seen the following information along with others:  

https://www.expatden.com/thailand/thai-driving-license/#Applying_for_a_Thai_Driving_License

https://www.expatden.com/thailand/residence-certificate/

https://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/06/a-quick-guide-to-renewing-your-thai-driving-license-in-bangkok/

But all of them seem to assume I have a work permit, which I do not.  How does a retired person get a residency certificate?  I'm staying at my friends condo, so have a friendly Thai citizen for a landlord if that helps.  Actually the informal nature of my arrangement might make it more difficult...  

Thanks for any help!  

the embassy will cost you $50 for the notary.  CW will charge you 200 baht for the residence certificate.

have you done a 90-day report at CW since your last entry?

don't know if you will need to show tm30.

Edited by ChouDoufu

11 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

the embassy will cost you $50 for the notary.  CW will charge you 200 baht for the residence certificate.

Pretty sure if he goes to CW for RC he will need tm30.

Anyway sounds like OP happy to attend his embassy.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

When I bought a car I went to CW to get the certificate of residency. Filled out all the papers and waited in line and when I finally got to the officer I was told they would have it for me in about 2 weeks? If I needed sooner to go to the USA embassy. Best to get an appointment online and just go there and pay the $50.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

Big price difference, but the embassy will not take all day.  Will CW be the typical all-day routine, or is it faster than normal?  Thanks!  I love this forum

90-day report and permission of stay extension are not the same.

different desk, different database.  you must have already done

a 90-day since latest entry to submit.

which is faster?

cw would probably take a couple hours if not a monday or friday.

but then you have to wait 2-3 weeks to have the cert mailed to you.

embassy faster, assuming you can get an appointment slot.

14 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

90-day report and permission of stay extension are not the same.

different desk, different database.  you must have already done

a 90-day since latest entry to submit.

(snip)

embassy faster, assuming you can get an appointment slot.

I never said they were the same, nor did I imply it.   I don't need a 90 day checkin yet because I renewed permission to stay recently.  My understanding is that when you extend your permission to stay, or leave the country and return, it starts the 90 day clock again.  

I hope I can get that slot, it is indeed a sticking point as the website is down last I checked. 

8 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I never said they were the same, nor did I imply it.   I don't need a 90 day checkin yet because I renewed permission to stay recently.  My understanding is that when you extend your permission to stay, or leave the country and return, it starts the 90 day clock again.  

I hope I can get that slot, it is indeed a sticking point as the website is down last I checked. 

was that your first ever extension?

i believe the rules are that the first extension counts as a 90-day report, but afterwards the extension is not tied to 90-day reporting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

i believe the rules are that the first extension counts as a 90-day report, but afterwards the extension is not tied to 90-day reporting.

That is the first time I've heard of this.  But I agree that there is no indication that renewing permission to stay counts as a 90 day check-in.  

15 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

This is correct.

Also makes obtaining RC for me difficult. Never done a 90 day report (which I'm led to believe is required for RC) along with AU embassy not providing that service.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

This is correct.

Also makes obtaining RC for me difficult. Never done a 90 day report (which I'm led to believe is required for RC) along with AU embassy not providing that service.

At a certain point, I hired a guy to help me with this.  He also confirmed that I need to do my 90 day report based on last entry, not the renewal.  Today I learned.