Convert Non O-A extension to Marriage Extension.

It is possible to change the reason for your extension from retirement to marriage shortly before you current extension expires.

But you need to check with your local immigration office since there are some that will tell you that you need a new non-o visa.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It is possible to change the reason for your extension from retirement to marriage shortly before you current extension expires.

Actually, saengd did it many months before his (her?) retirement extension off his original O-A visa expired. Rationale: Get it done before they move the goal posts. This was in CM. Info is in one of the zillion threads here on TV.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

But you need to check with your local immigration office since there are some that will tell you that you need to go out to get a new non-o visa.

Still thinking about misc options (Khon Kaen).

Safest route would likely be a Non O (marriage) at Savannakhet or HoChiMinCity.

As I understand I could still decide to do the following extension based on retirement (saving the extra document effort)?

I haven't asked at Khon Kaen yet about directly changing to marriage extension.

2 hours ago, cnxgary said:

Is it possible to change the reason for ones extension from retirement to marriage immediately or does one have to wait until there is 30 days or less remaining on ones current extension? 

Usually have to wait until near end of current extension.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:30 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Still thinking about misc options (Khon Kaen).

Safest route would likely be a Non O (marriage) at Savannakhet or HoChiMinCity.

As I understand I could still decide to do the following extension based on retirement (saving the extra document effort)?

I haven't asked at Khon Kaen yet about directly changing to marriage extension.

The IO rules/regulations clearly foresee that it is possible to change the reason for extension when applying for an extension of stay (e.g. switch from retirement to marriage extension).

And several OA Visa holders already reported that they successfully extended their 1-year permission to stay based on an original OA Visa, for reason of marriage.

But as UbonJoe pointed out you need to check with your local IO whether they actually will do it.

Some IOs want you to switch Visa category by exiting Thailand and apply for a 90-day Non Imm O - marriage Visa at a neighboring country, and will extend that 90-day Non Imm O - marriage on your return in the last month of the 90-days it provides.

And some IOs are willing to directly extend your OA permission to stay for reason of marriage, but - incorrectly - insist that you also meet the health-insurance requirement in that case.

Also bear in mind, that the answer you will receive when enquiring might differ depending on the immigration officer you asked the question.  So it is worthwhile, when you get a 'No, can't do' answer to politely request talking to the officer in charge.  Bringing a thai/english copy of the PoliceOrder with the relevant clauses high-lighted wouldn't hurt either to plead your case. 

• Thanks 1