Sinn Fein demands place in Irish government after electoral 'revolution'

webfact

32 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Is this your argument LG, to accuse those you disagree with of hating the UK?

And of course your customary resort to discussing their nationality, real or imagined.

This is not LGs argument, but the majority that are either getting insulted by him or ridiculed, have you not noticed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yes, along with the Corsican, Kurds, Catalans, Basques. Only they are people without a state of their own.

The Irish Unionist majority in NI don't want to be in another country.

Napoleon was Corsican, so you could say that Corsicans ruled France.

" The main separatist party (Corsica Libera) achieved 9.85% of votes in the 2010 French regional elections;[1] however, only 19% and 42% of those who voted respectively for Simeoni's autonomist list Femu a Corsica and Talamoni's separatist Corsica Libera were, according to polling, in favour of independence."

So, not much support for independance in Corsica then,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corsican_nationalism

Edited by DannyCarlton
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It would be better to remember that times have moved on.

If the times have moved on what was all the rubbish talk about the good Friday agreement and a need for no border. it seems the times have moved on when it suits you.

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

If you do want a trip down memory lane, then remember that the UK is in a special relationship with a nation that experimented with chemical weapons on the population of Vietnam

You will be going on about a battle that Scotland won next and how they made the movie Braveheart about it.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

Could be there is a fundamental misunderstanding by some of the process for a referendum on Irish unity.

“An Irish government can’t unilaterally say, ‘Yes, we’re going to give you a border poll [unity referendum],’ because it’s the U.K. secretary of state for Northern Ireland who makes that decision,” 

More detail at...

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/07/irish-elections-unification-brexit/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Of course times have moved on, the GFA must be respected so that they remain "moved on", only a brexiteer would see that to be rubbish.

In 1991 a US Tankbuster attacked a UK vehicles in Iraq and killed 9 Scottish soldiers, it was ruled as an unlawful killing but the pilot was never brought to justice and the case is still open to this day.

Feel free to carry on trying to make light of Scottish solders in battle, after all it appears that atrocity is more acceptable if it is a part of a special relationship.

Surely you mean ???????? soldiers as well as their vehicles, even if the occupants were ???????????????????????????? ?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

Could be there is a fundamental misunderstanding by some of the process for a referendum on Irish unity.

“An Irish government can’t unilaterally say, ‘Yes, we’re going to give you a border poll [unity referendum],’ because it’s the U.K. secretary of state for Northern Ireland who makes that decision,” 

More detail at...

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/07/irish-elections-unification-brexit/

ta, interesting read

but am not convinced that the article referenced is entirely correct

For unification to occur, consent for a united Ireland must be “freely and concurrently given” in both the North and the South of the island of Ireland. This is widely taken to mean that referenda, called border polls in the GFA, would need to be held concurrently in both Northern Ireland and the Republic with both voting for unification.. 

As far as Northern Ireland is concerned, such a referendum can only be called by the Secretary of State. From The Institute for Government the Institute for Government 

How would a border poll be held in Northern Ireland?

As part of the Good Friday Agreement, an explicit provision for holding a Northern Ireland border poll was made in UK law. The Northern Ireland Act 1998 states that “if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland”, the Secretary of State shall make an Order in Council enabling a border poll.

The situation in the Republic is a little more complicated, see "How would a border poll be held in the Republic of Ireland?" on the above page.

6 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

British is  just another name for conquered by the English, sad to see that people are proud of it. The British government is ruled by the English, there is no equality in the "union" at all.  

And people in Northern England feel that they are being governed by people in Southern England. Where does it end?

8 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

British is  just another name for conquered by the English, sad to see that people are proud of it. The British government is ruled by the English, there is no equality in the "union" at all.  

Lol, My earlier conclusion was clearly a bullseye ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I see Mary Lou is going to push her agenda for a united Ireland with the EU, who are obviously always transparent with this issue.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/sinn-feins-irish-election-success-puts-spanner-in-works-of-brexit-lfx355m3b

So the EU's stance is what exactly. A separate Scotland, unite Ireland, don't separate Catalonia, unite Cyprus, accept Bulgaria, don't accept Turkey - the EU's position on who belongs where is nothing short of farcical.

17 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I see Mary Lou is going to push her agenda for a united Ireland with the EU, who are obviously always transparent with this issue.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/sinn-feins-irish-election-success-puts-spanner-in-works-of-brexit-lfx355m3b

So the EU's stance is what exactly. A separate Scotland, unite Ireland, don't separate Catalonia, unite Cyprus, accept Bulgaria, don't accept Turkey - the EU's position on who belongs where is nothing short of farcical.

That is probably a wise move of her, if she can get some traction for unification in the EU environment,

(and possibly elsewhere internationally).

Probably that would also be the only way forward for Scotland and leaving the present UK,

to gain som traction internationally for the indep. movement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

That is probably a wise move of her, if she can get some traction for unification in the EU environment,

(and possibly elsewhere internationally).

Probably that would also be the only way forward for Scotland and leaving the present UK,

to gain som traction internationally for the indep. movement.

Wise for her possibly. Not all of Ireland want a united Ireland and definitely not Northern Ireland.

I see how you omitted the mention of the EU in your post and how they are so transparent. Now the UK is actually leaving the EU, I have a feeling they will be less supportive of united countries, as they have enough on their plate with the unrest in their ranks.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I assume English isn't your first language. I said not all Ireland wanted a united Ireland. 

Let me know how many people were in that poll I have checked it. I look forward to that.

It is fine being 'the quite man' but when you do say it, be clear and specific please instead of throwing a link that says nothing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Wise for her possibly. Not all of Ireland want a united Ireland and definitely not Northern Ireland.

I see how you omitted the mention of the EU in your post and how they are so transparent. Now the UK is actually leaving the EU, I have a feeling they will be less supportive of united countries, as they have enough on their plate with the unrest in their ranks.

what the haggis????

you mentioned EU,

I just commented that it is probably a wise move of her if she could get some support in the EU environment

waddya mean I omit to mention EU??????????

• Like 1