Thai Tourism Ministry considers collecting tourism fees

webfact

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just spoke to two American Ex-Pat friends of mine who reside here in BKK.  Seems this is the final straw, they had been both looking at Panama before today, but now have decided to make the move the beginning of next month. 

Am unclear how "tourism" fees would effect expats living here on one year Visas?

Been to Panama and Costa Rica in the 90's. 

Pluses and minuses as with anywhere, yet being close to family is a good reason. 

Not a necessity for some, am closer to friends than I am to the few family members who are still alive in the U.S.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just spoke to two American Ex-Pat friends of mine who reside here in BKK.  Seems this is the final straw, they had been both looking at Panama before today, but now have decided to make the move the beginning of next month. They also indicated on a visit there in December they were welcomed very warmly and felt the place was safer by far, as well as being the same type of weather, yet closer to their children in the US.

Let’s hope this is not just another empty promise like the hundreds already posted on here. Let us know when and if they do leave. I’ll open a bottle of my heavily taxed wine. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Amber53 said:

A responsible government looks after its own country and does not ask tourists to pay for it  !!! Where are they getting these ideas from ????

https://www.insider.com/countries-that-require-a-tourist-tax-2019-2

Are you considering all of these country's governments as irresponsible?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Running out of scam ideas, tourists wising up, running out of tourists to cheat - so let's resort to daylight extortion.

As for 'minimising disruption of the national tourism scene', I don't think there is much of a scene left, so fire away.

Edited by outsider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, leeneeds said:

True, but the 700, does not go to the parks or insurance for tourist, for my mind make it a thousand baht connected to ticket and have a fund to cover non insured injuries that happen where medical treatment is not paid for by the patient, it would be easy to then attach such payment to any potential scammers trying to re enter the country until that bill is paid this can picked up on the biometric system.

Any fund, in virtually any area of activity in this country, will be emptied by the corrupt individuals who run things, (virtually everything) in this country.

I am fascinated by the concept of "revolving funds"! Does that mean that when the wheel stood spinning, if the arrow is pointing at you, then you get the money?

Edited by JAG
  • Like 1

Wow seven pages and still growing with comments.

It would appear this has certainly ruffled some feathers...?

Where are all the expats singing this is for the better of the country, 

and we should follow the trend or go back to where we came from?

I'm spending my time looking for a better alternative, 

for this country has grown in ways which are no longer appreciated by myself.

That's putting it politely.

In my area, the locals have figured out a way to make up for low tourism- have the taxi's park 

in every open space they can find; where tourist might want to visit, so when they come they will have to pay 40-60 bht to park their transportation in a dirt field, where Somchai and his friends will happily sit, play cards and look over things, while you enjoy your day / evening, 

then for a small tip they will happily draw open the poll that goes down as you enter the dirt field, when the time comes to depart from your day of joyful, boring fun, which you tried so desperately to have with your family. The tip is for the smile they give you, as you leave...

• Like 1

More brilliant strategy from Pipat, and the group which has no experience in tourism and promotion. Let us try to put another roadblock in the way of progress. Thailand seems to have gone out of their way to make themselves repulsive to alot of people, as a nation. Not the people. I love the people here. It is the stupendous degree of arrogance, hubris, ignorance, racism, hatred of foreigners, and the stunning lack of vision, on the part of the fabulously incompetent leaders and ministers here. It is really turning off the planet to Thailand. If they could only see how they are perceived. Such ignoramus fools. 

Now, after years and years of fake nationalist ranting, and insufferable arrogance, they are really starting to pay the price, and they are getting exactly what they so wholeheartedly deserve, which is to be shunned by the planet. Oh well. 

We sow what we reap. We make the bed, and then we have to lie within it. 

If only we could say to these fools: don't be arrogant, because arrogance kills curiosity and passion. Arrogance is knowledge minus wisdom. Arrogance is blind to the stumbling block. Arrogance is a roadblock on the highway of wisdom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, colinsmallman said:

How about fast track tourism. Arrive at airport, place all your money in the box, then strait to departure. 

Cuts out the middle man!!

Does not cut out the middle man.....he's holding the box....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, bendejo said:

I guess after washing down Walking Street in Pattaya the question came up "now who is going to pay for it?"

Obviously a 10,000,000 baht project, at least, to pay for all those brooms. 

They should follow Triggers advice and maintain the brooms correctly

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

<deleted>, these morons can't come up with anything better than this?

The whole country is literally going to sh@t and they are talking about charging more ????????????

You don't understand Thai logic !! Neither do I, and I hope I never do????

• Like 1