Thai Tourism Ministry considers collecting tourism fees

webfact

For those that have mentioned hotel tax, there is a room tax that gets paid to the local authorities, it's just that it's hidden within the pricing and, in all likelihood, the amount actually paid by the hotels is a fraction of what it should be. The fact that, in Phuket anyway, in 2020 the tax amounts are paid in cash at the OrBorJor office makes me assume that several under-the-counter payments occur. Also many hotels are unregistered and don't pay a single baht, despite the crackdowns that are regularly threatened (but in reality never happen).

Many cities and countries have a much more open system, whereby the tourist is asked to pay an additional amount per night in tax. This is documented and should actually get into the system properly. Somehow I think the officials in Thailannd would prefer to stick to the current system!

1 hour ago, Magenta408 said:

The retarded province of Alberta,Canada imposed a hotel tax; upfront and in your face. I wonder who gets that money? The same would apply with a "tourism tax" if you can call it that. Where would the money collected end up at?

Thailand already has a local hotel room tax paid to the local district office.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thechook said:

They increased the arrival and departure tax a couple of years ago to provide medical costs if a tourist was injured and tourists already get hit with dual pricing.  Tourism must be bad if they are going to hit the remaining ones even harder.

"They increased the arrival and departure tax a couple of years ago to provide medical costs if a tourist was injured"

The arrival fee is paid through your airplane ticket since many years,and has nothing to do with medical costs for tourists whatsoever. You need your own travel insurance. 

2 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

Ok so with the tourism fee to renovate renovate tourist attractions means there won’t be an entrance fee then? Or wasn’t the whole purpose of the entrance fee already levied at ALL tourist attractions which effectively would make tourist pay twice for any attractions they visit. I somewhat suspect all large portion of that would be siphoned off anyway if not the whole amount to......I leave the rest to your imagination. 

You hit the nail on the head. That was EXACTLY the justification they gave why foreigners were charged more. The reasoning was that Thai people already paid for the upkeep with their taxes, and that they thus deserved to get in for a cheaper fee. On the other hand, so they said, foreign visitors did NOT pay taxes in Thailand and it was therefore only fair if they paid 10 times the Thai entrance fee.

4 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

You hit the nail on the head. That was EXACTLY the justification they gave why foreigners were charged more. The reasoning was that Thai people already paid for the upkeep with their taxes, and that they thus deserved to get in for a cheaper fee. On the other hand, so they said, foreign visitors did NOT pay taxes in Thailand and it was therefore only fair if they paid 10 times the Thai entrance fee.

I've been retired here for twenty years, I pay substantially more in direct and indirect taxes than the average Thai. To start with, most of the 800k I spend every year is vatable at 7% so there's 4.5k a month in tax.

Edited by saengd

This country is governed by a junta of the military who have put on masks to make it appear that they are no longer military but democratically elected civilians. All the countries that have known this has sunk slowly. Look what they did to the new party of the future,  they arrived by means supposedly legal to strip Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit of his mandate of a deputy, they did not hesitate to go so far and as long as the people will remain silent nothing will stop them since they prooved they have no limits any more than safe judgment.☹️

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Surely this would be more environmentally friendly, less expensive and more efficient tooperate

Where do you think all this chemicals, dirt, blood, alcohol, puke, dirt and whatever will be going that they are cleaning? Out to the already polluted ocean. What narrow mindedness...........

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

A beautifully decorated tip box (with a big 'TIPS' hand written on the front of the box on duct tape, and a wide slot)  and a short skirt pretty should be fine. 

I'd even, happily, give them my 1,000-donation! Lao kip that is, not baht, just to pi×× them off...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

<deleted>, these morons can't come up with anything better than this?

The whole country is literally going to sh@t and they are talking about charging more ????????????

"The whole country going to sh@t" ???? Huh, people everywhere in the shopping centres, millions of visitors, the THB worth so much, Trains full as usual. Not sure I agree with your estimation of "wishful thinking" on your part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

Am unclear how "tourism" fees would effect expats living here on one year Visas?

Been to Panama and Costa Rica in the 90's. 

Pluses and minuses as with anywhere, yet being close to family is a good reason. 

Not a necessity for some, am closer to friends than I am to the few family members who are still alive in the U.S.  

Their kids visit them twice a year for 4 weeks, total of 6 kids at different times with their families in tow, that's what I forgot to add in my post.

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Let’s hope this is not just another empty promise like the hundreds already posted on here. Let us know when and if they do leave. I’ll open a bottle of my heavily taxed wine. 

Will do, they just secured a Panamanian Villa, leaving on March 1st they are.  Condo they have owned here for 6 years is being gifted to their Thai maid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Surely this would be more environmentally friendly, less expensive and more efficient tooperate

You mean come up with an environment polluting alternative ?   No, keep the people working.   Besides, with fewer tourists, the streets won't need cleaning very often.   At least they are doing something useful for their money.   Perhaps cutting down on the cleansing fluids could be considered.

And think of all those newly or soon to be ex-hotel and bar staff.

The big question would be - how this tax would be collected. Can't think of anywhere in the chain that Ministry of Sports and Tourism has direct transactions with tourists. Attractions would be mostly under Ministry of Natural Resources or Ministry of Fine Arts. The whole thing does not make sense.

• Thanks 1

Just a few days ago they wanted to distribute money to tourists to make them come...

Now they want collect money instead? 

Just same hotels, the lower the booking numbers the higher they put the prices...Thai strategy..

Thailand does not suffer from unrenovated tourist attractions and the money they would take in will be never used for tourist related things but for injecting it into the pockets of some corrupt ministers and generals and the rest will go into the economy to make up for the income losses.

Who believes they will now, at already so low tourist numbers, start renovation projects at their tourist attractions, what a huge nonsense.

They keep avoiding to get the message, make Thailand cheaper if numbers are falling, special offers, special packages for long stayers, etc, not more expensive! There is huge competition among tourist locations!

This looks like a potential proxy for tourist health insurance, the O-A insurance went down like a lead balloon so this is probably an attempt to disguise any future tax as not being insurance related. One way or the other, they will extract the necessary funds, sugar coated, hidden, camouflaged or whatever.

Minister, do you remember at least what you proposed weeks / days ago?
Keep bars open until 4 am.
Visa free for Chinese and Indians.
Make a financial gift to tourists.
Last but not least, to charge tourists an extra tax.
It really seems that you no longer know what to invent to see your name in the media!
Decide what you want soon!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cmsally said:

The big question would be - how this tax would be collected. Can't think of anywhere in the chain that Ministry of Sports and Tourism has direct transactions with tourists. Attractions would be mostly under Ministry of Natural Resources or Ministry of Fine Arts. The whole thing does not make sense.

Entrance fee in cash at international airports right behind the immigration or right after a domestic arrival, like in Myanmar in some places (where renovation needs were obvious and some fees to enter cultural heritage zones were understandable)...

Thai tactic, tourism go down, economy go down, just let thise pay more who still coming and doing business in this country.

I force my friends to stay away from Thailand more and more and spend the money in countrues where they are welcome!!!

I do the dame!!

A racist Thai minister tells No Good Farang to <deleted> off, then another Thai Minister contemplates forcing the very low life, no good farang, to help Thai tourism!

Crazy!!!

Are Indian and Chinese nationals excluded??

Fickle.