Work Permits

What is the criteria in which to be able to apply for a work permit in Thailand?

Lets say for e.g.... I went into buissness with my Thai friend... we opened a shop either a bar, restaurant, café etc something along those lines I understand that I would own 49% and they would own 51%...… But whats the criteria which I would be able to obtain a work permit?

And how long are work permits generally issued for?

Kind Regards.. 

• Haha 1

The company gets you a WP, the company needs to employ 4 Thai people, have 2 million baht in paid up capital. The job in the company cannot be a Thai only job, no serving customers, cooking etc. You can be the manager. You also need to have the correct visa, you cant work on a tourist, retire etc.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

One of the disadvantages of having a Work Permit is that, in the course of the application, one is made to sign a form saying that you are making 80,000 Bht salary, even if for 10 months out of the year you are making zilch. You will then get taxed on the 80 thou salary, and it will all end up a rather expensive proposition if it is just a small operation as you indicate ???? Better to have your business run under a Thai name, incur much lower taxes, and just be there without doing any work related tasks.

Edited by phantomfiddler
spelling error
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

Chef is not on the prohibited occupation list. 

Not specifically but falls under the broad category of manual work. Chefs I know that work here are qualified and have a particular skill set, sushi chef etc.

Edited by Peterw42

2 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

One of the disadvantages of having a Work Permit is that, in the course of the application, one is made to sign a form saying that you are making 80,000 Bht salary

Is this a recent change? It's been 50k for each visa and extension I've done.

PR application for workers requires 80k though I believe, is that what you quoted?

18 minutes ago, OffshoreMig said:

what country you from?  does it have a trade agreement with Thailand? 

Some countries have a working holiday program. (Under 30yo) I read somewhere that if you are on a married visa you have some work rights.  Not 100% sure

The OP is not married it would seem as he mentions "Thai friend".

Au has a "working holiday visa" sorta thing. Thailand does not.

21 minutes ago, OffshoreMig said:

Some countries have a working holiday program. (Under 30yo) I read somewhere that if you are on a married visa you have some work rights.  Not 100% sure

On a marriage extension you are eligible to apply for a Work Permit (or the company that employs you can apply on your behalf). BOI companies have a much better chance of obtaining a WP for you.

On a retirement extension you are not eligible.

7 minutes ago, thainet said:

On a marriage extension you are eligible to apply for a Work Permit (or the company that employs you can apply on your behalf). BOI companies have a much better chance of obtaining a WP for you.

The OP has two current threads. The other asks for advice on best visa to enter Thailand. 

Stating never been to Thailand before. 

Then this thread asks advice about work permits, in such a naive way. 

Open bar etc. Hilarious.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is salary for those from most western countries to apply for an extension of stay based upon working for a company. For others it is less.

image.png.49ea9bd0f2086b0aeb18bb0e816bbbb0.png

There is no minimum salary to apply for a work permit.

If there would, many foreign English teachers wouldn't have a work permit. Very sad, but true. 

48 minutes ago, thainet said:

It's written on a retirement extension that work is not allowed. 

1 hour ago, OffshoreMig said:

Work rights? You are allowed to work on a Non-O visa/extension based on marriage. 

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP has two current threads. The other asks for advice on best visa to enter Thailand. 

Open bar etc. Hilarious.

And two threads with vague subject lines that don't really help the reader to know what the thread's about with any specificity. Therefore, my help to the OP is...

Edited by scottiddled
  • Like 2

On 2/10/2020 at 4:40 PM, VocalNeal said:

Have a piece of paper stating 2m baht of capitalization. Not necessarily the actual 2m

Can you explain this a little bit more? I'm not sure what the difference is? (Yes, it's a serious question, I'm just not experienced with company stuff :-))

To have one expat employee you need 3-4 employees (this numbers do change) and 1m baht of documented capital. To get a second employees you need 6-8 employees and the number on the document increased from 1m to 2m. This number change is procedural not financial.

Simply ask an agent/lawyer.

Edited by VocalNeal

On 2/10/2020 at 3:01 PM, phantomfiddler said:

One of the disadvantages of having a Work Permit is that, in the course of the application, one is made to sign a form saying that you are making 80,000 Bht salary, even if for 10 months out of the year you are making zilch. You will then get taxed on the 80 thou salary

Where did you get that misinformation from?

There is nothing on the work permit application form about a minimum salary, let alone 80,000 THB per month, the income tax paid will always be based on your actual earnings, less the allowances etc.

As other have pointed out, the salary conditions are for an extension of stay based on work, nothing to do with the permit itself.

39 minutes ago, ExpatDraco said:

If you have a multiple entry NON-O based on marriage from Savanaketh can you get a work permit and so circumventing the need for the extension based on work and their requirements?

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa or extension of stay based upon marriage. You can use the income from working to apply for the extension if it is 40k baht or more as well.

22 hours ago, Mattd said:

Where did you get that misinformation from?

There is nothing on the work permit application form about a minimum salary, let alone 80,000 THB per month, the income tax paid will always be based on your actual earnings, less the allowances etc.

As other have pointed out, the salary conditions are for an extension of stay based on work, nothing to do with the permit itself.

80,000. Sounds a bit like one of those 'my lawyer told me' quotes. ????

On 2/10/2020 at 3:25 AM, PoorSucker said:

Chef is not on the prohibited occupation list. 

All the chefs I have seen in Indian Resturants are Indians. They are on work visa becuase not easy to find Thais who could cook Indian foods. Same for in the USA also. All the servers (most) are also Indians in Indan restaurnats becuase they need to interact with customers using Indian languages and not easy to find Thai workers talkng in native Indian languages. Same for the USA also. All the priests in Indian Hindu temples in the USA are on work visa becuase they could not find local priests for hindu temples. And I don't think servers in Indian restuarants are making 80K. 

There is an Indian food stall at the cornet of South Pataya and the 2nd road. The owner serves, hence working, has a few Thai (Looks like Burmese, may be Burmese Thais) and Indian workers. I don't think any one them make 80K

Edited by Vascoda

On 2/10/2020 at 2:26 PM, DrJack54 said:

Open bar etc. Hilarious.

yeah your right it has gone a little off topic but still good for the info regardless... 

3 hours ago, Ma Noi said:

So lets say for example I wanted to go into business with my thai friend not saying that will happen just curious to know the facts how it worls over there... 

They would own 51% I would own 49% would I need a work permit?

yes

• Thanks 1