Replace old PC

mrjohn

My old PC has finally died (motherboard)

I only used it for watching TV programmes downloaded on my main PC.

I’m looking for a cheap alternative.

Replace motherboard? Difficult to find one compatible.

2nd hand computer? Or cheap as possible new build? Doesn’t even need an internet connection.  

Any Ideas would be gratefully received.

Take a look on lazada or shopee.

Nextstepcomputer, nicetechnocomputer, oishipc and others selling cheap 2nd hand computers on above sites and have shops in zeer rangsit which can be visited if you are in BKK.

I bought one of these 6th gen mini pc in zeer a few months ago for baht 6500 and it working fine.

image.png.a078790a2fae5a97bcbef1f1c03781d8.png

Edited by userabcd

There are some good buys on Lazada for under B8000, full size desktop.  Just make sure anything you buy has at least a 128gb SSD. 256 better and at least 4gb DDR4 ram.

Having an SSD and sufficient ram makes a huge difference in how it performs.

Just get an Android media box. Cheap, reliable & uses little power. Can transfer your files via FTP or stream from your PC. Bunch of them at Lazada: 

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=android+box&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.605a3497tggn0u

And they come with a remote that'll be handy. (Can even get a wireless keyboard.) We have experts here who will advise. ???? Though Big Spenders will want a NUC or an Nvidia Shield, truth is, a cheap Android box will be fine for your stated needs. I have one and use it almost daily.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:05 AM, sammieuk1 said:

Have you tried to get the motherboard repaired there are some surprisingly clever bods in some very unlikely places here two of mine repaired working perfect????

There was a guy in our town who I would have trusted to do such a job but he's closed down due to lack of demand.

On 2/10/2020 at 12:58 PM, Eindhoven said:

This is all far above what I would spend. I'd be looking at 3000 baht or less for a second hand PC.

I even have one of these; https://www.thailandallit.com/product/9/dell-optiplex-780 fitted with a cheap SSD and Graphics card and it flies. 

My thoughts entirely. Is there much chance to upgrade these machines. Could you add another hard drive for example. Just found this one which looks like a bargain.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dell-optiplex-755-wifi-pc-computer-i283672426-s461418310.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.80.25c43d03t2soq8&search=1

5 minutes ago, mrjohn said:

There was a guy in our town who I would have trusted to do such a job but he's closed down due to lack of demand.

My thoughts entirely. Is there much chance to upgrade these machines. Could you add another hard drive for example. Just found this one which looks like a bargain.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dell-optiplex-755-wifi-pc-computer-i283672426-s461418310.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.80.25c43d03t2soq8&search=1

The 755 is a couple of years older than the 780. I wouldn't go for anything older than a 780.

Yes, they are eminently upgrade-able. As business machines, they are designed that way. So just seconds to remove the side panel to attach extra drives. I added an SSD to supplement the existing HDD within.

I had an HD4350 graphics card from an older PC, so I attached that too.

Now in use as an entertainment centre, as it plays downloaded and streamed 1080p media smoothly with that combo.

• Like 1

The Optiplex 760 & 960 is somewhere in between the two. You will find examples of those from the same seller(both on Lazada and direct, from 1299/1699 baht.

Optiplex 980(early 2010)(released just after the 780(late 2009) for say 2000 baht, https://www.thailandallit.com/product/2174/dell-optiplex-980-2

Even SFF can take an extra HDD and a low profile graphics card.

You could spend a bit more for a newer 7010(mid 2012); https://www.thailandallit.com/product/2926/dell-optiplex-7010-desktop-2

So a fair bit of choice. 

Whatever you do, fit an SSD as the boot drive. Cost from 500 baht.

"I only used it for watching TV programmes downloaded on my main PC." 

Don't waste your money for on an SDD as recommended here. Old PC don't support with their old interfaces the transfer speeds anyway. And for storing and watching downloaded movies a conventional HD with a lot of storage space might be a better option alone because of the much cheaper storage space. 

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

The 755 is a couple of years older than the 780. I wouldn't go for anything older than a 780.

Yes, they are eminently upgrade-able. As business machines, they are designed that way. So just seconds to remove the side panel to attach extra drives. I added an SSD to supplement the existing HDD within.

I had an HD4350 graphics card from an older PC, so I attached that too.

Now in use as an entertainment centre, as it plays downloaded and streamed 1080p media smoothly with that combo.

The old PC has a working 500Gb HDD which I would add to expand storage, hence the question.

Is the existing graphics card likely to be adequate for watching video?

Is there anything else I might need to do to make it serviceable?

1 hour ago, mrjohn said:

The old PC has a working 500Gb HDD which I would add to expand storage, hence the question.

Look that the graphic card can handle the resolution that you need for the TV and this for a connected external monitor. If your old computer had a good one perhaps you can use this at the "new old" computer. 

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

"I only used it for watching TV programmes downloaded on my main PC." 

Don't waste your money for on an SDD as recommended here. Old PC don't support with their old interfaces the transfer speeds anyway. And for storing and watching downloaded movies a conventional HD with a lot of storage space might be a better option alone because of the much cheaper storage space. 

If you don't know, it's better to not post as if you do. You are completely wrong. It's not all about maxxing out the connection on SATA III. You'll see big improvements with SATA II and even SATA I.

In case you feel the need to argue, watch the video;

Device from 2008.

Apart from your entirely incorrect assertion, my suggestion is for SSD as the Boot drive, the other two HDD(one supplied and the other already owned) for storage.

Having the device boot up in seconds, together with applications and everything running snappily on relatively old equipment, is worth the 500 baht outlay.

No need to use the other PC to download anything and then transfer it. Everything can be done on this new second-hand PC, fitted with an SSD as a Boot Drive.

All possible within the 3000 baht that I mentioned, including an inexpensive graphics card.

So an entertainment centre in it's own right.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mrjohn said:

Depends on the quality/resolution of the video. I have a Full HD TV(1080p), so all of my downloaded and streamed content is in Full HD.

If your sources are of a lower quality, the existing specification may be adequate. You'll know when you try it.

But if you've ever utilised a solid state drive on any of your PC, you won't want to go back to using a PC without a solid state drive.

It more effective than adding RAM in this case. Though if you can find a PC with 4GB of RAM on-board, that will be enough, especially with an SSD as the Windows drive.

For me, since I am outputting to a Full HD screen and monitor, I prefer a graphics card with an HDMI output.

Here is an example of a cheap and cheerful graphics card; https://shopee.co.th/Gigabyte-Nvidia-GT210-1GB-DDR3-i.20714596.2282215808

Lots of low end SSD for around 500 baht;

https://shopee.co.th/120-240-480-960GB-SSD-(เอสเอสดี)-HIKVISION-C100-SATA-III-6-Gb-s-ประกัน-3-ปี-i.74778579.2857302847

https://shopee.co.th/WD-SSD-GREEN-120GB-2.5-SATA-i.67135361.1919092560

https://shopee.co.th/SSD-120GB-PIONEER-2.5-Inch-SATA-6Gb-S-3-i.80219599.4004337585

https://shopee.co.th/SSD-AFOX-SD250-120GB-2.5-SATA-(AFSN2L3BN120G)-i.205234501.3915756061

Edited by Eindhoven

On 2/10/2020 at 2:47 PM, BigStar said:

Though Big Spenders will want a NUC

Got one from Invade for Bht 4500 with 4 GB RAM, 128 SSD next to nothing, wireless k/b & mouse Bht 300. Windows 10 Pro key from ebay or whatever 

Then you have a full working W10 PC. Much better than an Android box, which really is only a phone.

And you can put all your media, vids & music onto One Drive and access them from anywhere in the World.

Edited by stouricks

52 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Got one from Invade for Bht 4500 with 4 GB RAM, 128 SSD next to nothing, wireless k/b & mouse Bht 300. Windows 10 Pro key from ebay or whatever 

Then you have a full working W10 PC. Much better than an Android box, which really is only a phone.

And you can put all your media, vids & music onto One Drive and access them from anywhere in the World.

Any reason why you placed a silly emoticon next to my post, with no clarification?

1 hour ago, stouricks said:

Why didn't you post a link, instead of just appearing to boast?

This is what I found there for the 4,500 baht that you claim to have paid; https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/barebone-pcs/intel/nuc-celeron-j4005-intel-hd-600-ddr4-2xhdmi-boxnuc7cjyh1-p040011/

Comes with a very poor CPU, no RAM and no storage, HDD nor SSD.

So perhaps a link for the OP of what you are recommending might be useful.

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

If you don't know, it's better to not post as if you do. You are completely wrong. It's not all about maxxing out the connection on SATA III. You'll see big improvements with SATA II and even SATA I.

If he buys an old computer it might even have only IDE. My computer has RAID 0 with 3 conventional disks and 450 MB/s and this with very many TB - in total I have more than 10 TB. Do the same with SDDs...

He needs the computer as media center and then he needs space and not speed. Sure if he had SATA 3 then the boot will be much shorter with an SDD. I have a notebook with SSD too. I know this. But I have no problem to wait 20 seconds longer... I don't boot that often. And the Media Player will start faster but we are talking here about seconds. But after this the SSD will not bring any benefit for him. And by the way - I started to use computers when they still had punch cards and worked with them every single day until now and many years at one of the biggest software companies in the world. I started to work with computers with 16.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Beggar said:

If he buys an old computer it might even have only IDE. My computer has RAID 0 with 3 conventional disks and 450 MB/s and this with very many TB - in total I have more than 10 TB. Do the same with SDDs...

He needs the computer as media center and then he needs space and not speed. Sure if he had SATA 3 then the boot will be much shorter with an SDD. I have a notebook with SSD too. I know this. But I have no problem to wait 20 seconds longer... I don't boot that often. And the Media Player will start faster but we are talking here about seconds. But after this the SSD will not bring any benefit for him. And by the way - I started to use computers when they still had punch cards and worked with them every single day until now and many years at one of the biggest software companies in the world. I started to work with computers with 16.

OP, how much memory does your PC have?

A very important part when talking about an older, but functioning PC, the DDR 2, or DDR3 memory. 

54 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Please...we are discussing Optiplex 780 or newer. So SATA II onwards.

You comments about 20 seconds and no benefit to him are just absolute fiction!

It is clear on the video shown that the Boot up times differ than a lot more than 20 seconds.

Loading of applications and files are a lot faster too, as shown.

IOPS are also much improved, so to suggest that there will be no benefit other than what you suggest is frankly, talking out of your posterior.

Really no need to complicate the thread with unnecessary comment. We don't need to know about your system, as it has nothing in common with the OP's intentions.

We already heard earlier about someone who worked for a software company and it was also clear that he knew absolutely nothing about PCs.

He wants a cheap and effective solution. I suggested a budget of 3000 baht for a decent entertainment centre. That covers a solid PC with extra in the budget for the SSD, space for the two extra HDD and also a graphics card if necessary.

Waste of time and energy arguing about whether he should include an SSD as the Windows drive. There are only benefits in doing so.

So why waste everyone's time creating artificial barriers to something that is wholly beneficial.

Are you worried about him spending the 500 baht?

Ridiculous.

Edited by Eindhoven

45 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

OP, how much memory does your PC have?

A very important part when talking about an older, but functioning PC, the DDR 2, or DDR3 memory. 

He doesn't have the PC yet.

Are people just posting anything, without aforethought?

8 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Please...we are discussing Optiplex 780 or newer. So SATA II onwards.

But you talked even about SATA 1. And as SSD expert you know everything about operating systems supporting SSDs, interfaces supporting SSDs, about driver versions supporting SSDs, garbage collection, TRIM commands, wear & tear and much more. Let's cut a long story short - you win... 

Just now, Beggar said:

But you talked even about SATA 1. And as SSD expert you know everything about operating systems supporting SSDs, interfaces supporting SSDs, about driver versions supporting SSDs, garbage collection, TRIM commands, wear & tear and much more. Let's cut a long story short - you win... 

I mentioned SATA I, stating that you will even see a performance benefit with SSD on SATA I.

I didn't suggest purchase of a SATA I device. I stated clearly Optiplex 780 or newer.

SSD expert? Have you taken leave of your senses? What has that to do with the topic?

Why would you even post any of that??

Yes I know all about SSD design, but what has that to do with anything?

Win? It is telling that you consider it a competition where someone has to win.

I am simply suggesting the best option within a fixed budget. 3000 baht gets you an SSD etc.

In fact I mention that I also have an Optiplex 780 with an inexpensive SSD and graphics card. It is a pleasure to use.

Whereas you came up with some completely made up theories that had no bearing in reality nor the subject in hand.

Why?

Let's just draw a line under it. Hopefully no harm done.

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

With 2 RAM slots, no RAM included. Our NUC aficionados, whose minimum spend will be about 15,000, will only sneer at that dog. But even to make it usable will still cost 4 - 5 times the cheap Android box. 

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

Yeah, that's what we all need, yet another W10 PC to continue fooling around with after getting it up and running. Oh--update time! I'll take the Android and buy a cheap laptop over a decent NUC, thank you.

Much as we all love PCs and know everything there is to know about them, OP doesn't need a fully working PC just to play his already downloaded vids on his TV. I have two PCs and a laptop I could connect to my TV while they generate heat and suck up power. I don't. Android box is so much cheaper to operate and specializes in just being a convenient lil' multimedia device. Point the remote at it and go. :) OP can just take the HDD out of the old PC, load it up w/ his library, and connect it externally to the USB port if he wishes. That's what I did w/ an old laptop HDD. What's not on there, I transfer via FTP or just stream over.

4 hours ago, stouricks said:

Well, one can always do that anyway, right? I guess some folks don't mind carrying around NUC & peripherals, but most will prefer, and already have, a notebook, tablet, or phone that would do for accessing the One Drive.

8 hours ago, BigStar said:

With 2 RAM slots, no RAM included. Our NUC aficionados, whose minimum spend will be about 15,000, will only sneer at that dog. But even to make it usable will still cost 4 - 5 times the cheap Android box. 

Yeah, that's what we all need, yet another W10 PC to continue fooling around with after getting it up and running. Oh--update time! I'll take the Android and buy a cheap laptop over a decent NUC, thank you.

Much as we all love PCs and know everything there is to know about them, OP doesn't need a fully working PC just to play his already downloaded vids on his TV. I have two PCs and a laptop I could connect to my TV while they generate heat and suck up power. I don't. Android box is so much cheaper to operate and specializes in just being a convenient lil' multimedia device. Point the remote at it and go. ???? OP can just take the HDD out of the old PC, load it up w/ his library, and connect it externally to the USB port if he wishes. That's what I did w/ an old laptop HDD. What's not on there, I transfer via FTP or just stream over.

Well, one can always do that anyway, right? I guess some folks don't mind carrying around NUC & peripherals, but most will prefer, and already have, a notebook, tablet, or phone that would do for accessing the One Drive.

OK, everyone to their own preferences.

You mention that an Android box is cheaper to run than a NUC or laptop. The NUC draws 18 WATTS. and does not get hot.

With any of these media players you'll need a decent telly to watch on so that's out of the equation.

Put Bluestacks on a NUC/laptop,PC and you have Android as well. 

I am happy with my NUC, networked to my 'big' PC. Cannot fault it. Cheers.

12 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Why didn't you post a link, instead of just appearing to boast?

This is what I found there for the 4,500 baht that you claim to have paid; https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/barebone-pcs/intel/nuc-celeron-j4005-intel-hd-600-ddr4-2xhdmi-boxnuc7cjyh1-p040011/

Comes with a very poor CPU, no RAM and no storage, HDD nor SSD.

So perhaps a link for the OP of what you are recommending might be useful.

Sorry, I was not boasting. I did mention Invade, NUC & RAM on my post, assuming the OP could go there if he wanted. 

OK, it's not an i5 or i7, but it does the job very well.