Two dead in Phuket speedboat collision

pagallim

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

Brain failure plus not lose face by giving way. Plus far to fast in channel. Must be some sort of speed limit set by marina.

It used to be 5 knots per hour 10 or so years ago....don't know what it is now....90% of them should never be allowed in the sea never mind in charge of a boat

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Two Russian children killed in Phuket speedboat collision

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1581310091_1-org.jpg

One of the damaged boats this morning (Feb 10). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: At least two people died and up to 22 people were injured in a speedboat collision off Phuket’s east coast this morning (Feb 10).

Reports place the accident in the channel linking Phuket’s two main marinas with the the bay on the east side of the island at about 8:15am

The 22 injured in the accident were taken to vairous hospitals, as follows: four to Mission Hospital Phuket; 11 to Bangkok Hospital Phuket; six to Bangkok Hospital Siriroj; and one Russian national was taken to Vachira Hospital Phuket.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/two-russian-children-killed-in-phuket-speedboat-collision-74764.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-02-10

Horrible "accident"

RIP and condolences to the families. 

I hope International Press and TV will warn people 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

It has been like this since they introduced motorized vehicles and 'smart phones' in Thailand. Get used to it will take 2 or 3 generations until they learn this.

It’s a real shame,Thailand has so much to offer tourists from let’s say European countries. All they need to do is enforce the laws they already have in place. Make examples out of the law breakers,invest a bit of that tourism money into cleaning up the place. Get rid of the known scams,hang on I am starting to dream a bit here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Percy P said:

And the tourist board want to put a fee on tourists coming to Thailand. I think it should be the other way round, tourists should be paid a fee to come to Thailnd

Keep this up and they will have to pay the tourist to come here

15 minutes ago, Gene1960 said:

It's 5 knots. There is a big sign on the Chanel exit from. Boat Lagoon. 

R. I. P. 

Thanks for the information,I watched the video and that definitely was not 5 knots. Both the operators of those boats should be charged with dangerous operation of a watercraft resulting in the death of 2 people. My heart goes out to the parents of those two kids. I hope the Thai government assists the parents in returning their deceased children back to their home country. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Titan1962 said:

Thanks for the information,I watched the video and that definitely was not 5 knots. Both the operators of those boats should be charged with dangerous operation of a watercraft resulting in the death of 2 people. My heart goes out to the parents of those two kids. I hope the Thai government assists the parents in returning their deceased children back to their home country. 

Yes. Thank you. 

I am based in Boat lagoon and have a boat there. It happens every day when those young pilots drive their boats at 20 knots in the inland Chanel, even in the low tide. 

Another thing. There are mostly Russian tourists who use the speedboats from BL. And the speedboat companies relied on them almost exclusively. The rest of tourists left. Now they will scare the Russians,if it's possible. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tirekicker said:

"Thai seamanship".......During my 30 years experience of working in the offshore Marine industry both subsea and topside I witnessed the seamanship of two Thai Mariners who happened to be The Captain and The Mate of a anchor handling tug which required the manouvering and positioning of 25 ton anchors used to reposition oil rigs. Both these guys were polite well mannered but terrible seaman giving me uneccesary drama on deck even in the calmest of weather. Needless to say they didn't last long and were not invited back to the Field. 

Many captains avoid hiring Thai nationals as crews because they don't care about their own life and life of the crew members. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Phuket Stan said:

It used to be 5 knots per hour 10 or so years ago....don't know what it is now....90% of them should never be allowed in the sea never mind in charge of a boat

48 minutes ago, Percy P said:

And the tourist board want to put a fee on tourists coming to Thailand. I think it should be the other way round, tourists should be paid a fee to come to Thailnd

Maybe the fee will be re funded if they leave alive .

3 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Can't  drive on  land cant drive  on the water, want to fly  with them?

No dont, fly with them dont, go on a boat with them, dont go on a bus with them, dont ride a bike with them, go another country is safest

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1