Two dead in Phuket speedboat collision

pagallim

Terrible news. Poor kids. RIP. This really makes me mad. Do the Thais ever learn from these needless and tragic incidents. Will they learn and change anything because this ? The answer is a big NO. I hope TAT will soon report a minus of 40 % minus of tourist arrivals. Sorry, of course just dreaming.

12 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Probably because swerving first would be a loss of face.

Did'nt they know the international Maritime "Rule of the Road"  Surely that has got to be the first thing to understand when driving any boat. Its not only Phuket that gets these tragedies, but it has happened on Samui as well. How do they get these jobs.

11 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

If the Russians had not yet understood; now they will know that it is better to avoid Thailand if you want to come back alive from your holidays.

Deep thoughts for the dads and moms of these poor children who had not asked for such an end.:angry:

And during this time, the Minister of Tourism is looking for a solution to bring back the tourists in Thailand;
I especially believe that thanks to his brainless fellow citizens he does everything possible to see them flee and never come back.

Over the last few years there has been a plethora of incidents by Thais, stupid, careless, inconsideration and just plain ignorance and greed. All this is making Thailand a dangerous place for any tourist to visit. I really do think that the word is getting abroad.

11 hours ago, Dogbarker said:

It is  extremely sad to hear thisand my thoughts and prayers  genuinely go out to all killed and injured.  In another piece of news I see consideration for  taxing tourists. Simply  lessons of how to increase tourists from coming to Thailand  .. in line with a member of the government telling farang  they are not wanted if the do not wear masks.....  Amazing Thailand!

Also the singling out of a certain group to be forced into impossible insurance.

8 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

Why are tragic accidents  and events always used for trashing Thailand? Boat accidents do occur worldwide.

July 2018, 17 tourists killed in a boat accident in good ol' usa. (and its not the only deadly boat accident, thank you Google)

So now i have a legit excuse to trash Americans? 

Its just plain dumb ignorant arrogant and rascist to explain everything that happens (boat accident, mass shooting) with a dull "didnt want to loose face" explanation.

Trouble here is mate that it happens over and over again and again with no measures taken after the last. Over the past few years we seem to be having continous occurrences of boating accidents both in Phuket and Koh Samui. As for your "lose face" statement, i suggest that you learn a little about Thai mental attitudes.

• Like 2

Russians were the last of the reliable markets for Thailand.  For the most part, a profitable segment primarily composed of families and relatively decent spenders. Whatever our personal views of Russians are, they are economically important, and this  along with all the other negative activity isn't going to encourage them to come, especially now that much of the worst part of the Russian winter is over.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Thaiger has video of the actual collision, as well as disturbing vision of attempts to revive the children.

Both drivers (won't call them captains) were speeding in the channel and neither seemed to attempt to swerve to avoid the other.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-speedboat-collision-2-confirmed-dead

This me first attitude is somehow transplanted into Thai drivers heads.

You see it when they all continue up a narrow soi one after the other until it is jammed full then someone has to become a director to clear it.

They practice this madness on highway intersections and roundabouts and corners, bikes with children with invisible helmets cut in front of the mad men as well, the canal boats amaze me that they don't have crashes every day.

I think the enlightened one should call for an enquiry by science doctors to see how this phenomenon is passed on

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Looks like the boat going towards the camera was in the middle of the channel. He should have stayed more on his left.

Err, no,  he should have stayed or moved to his right so both boats could pass each other port to port. And neither should be going that speed.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes ... but who checks the checkers. We all know a brown envelope containing cash solves all paperwork 'irregularities'. 

AFAIK not with these things.

I know of boats being stopped from leaving port because the captain was licensed only for smaller boats.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Boatfreak said:

5 knots is the maximum speed in the channel, all boats are going at least 20 knots. I had a group of Korean sailors on a 3 week training, they went out once, they got so scared they never did it again

Funny, I mention this already a few weeks ago with another accident in the Pang Nga bay, but it is the same as on the roads, it will never change, TIT

18 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Why dig up an irrelevant air accident that happened 33 years ago with your incomplete assessment of what actually happened?  No other countries have had accidents since then?

Because it highlights the human aspects of mindset and attitude to safety in Thailand, which remains the same 33 years later.

I knew this was the case when I came here 20 years ago and I know it will never change.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Haven't seen anyone mention at 1.00 into the video, the kid (ambulance tech I presume) doing improper half A chest compressions as he is laughing.  Guess it was funny to him.

What I also found worrying was the crewman cradling a kid, but obviously without the knowledge to try CPR.

I don't know how much later the medics arrived and tried to revive him. Too late by then. 

19 hours ago, fruitman said:
19 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

"last month a fisherman hit the ferry." Wowy. And how many people died? 

Do you know Youtube? You should look for "deadly accidents". Its just mesmerizing to see one deadly accident after another. Russia is especially notorious for the many and insane road accidents.

My point is, accidents happen, worpdwide, its tragic, lets stick to offer condolences, not to wrongly abuse tragic deaths for trashing a whole nation and its people.

Are the Russian roads more dangerous than the Thai roads? I bet 100 euro on not...

russia has an education system that teaches critical thinking. russians i have known personally are safety aware.  the below pic speaks volumes.  now count thailands nobel prize winners

Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 13.24.06.png

Edited by atyclb

3 hours ago, BangkokBoyJohnny said:
6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Haven't seen anyone mention at 1.00 into the video, the kid (ambulance tech I presume) doing improper half A chest compressions as he is laughing.  Guess it was funny to him.

AGREED. Pisses me off as much as the two boat driving lunatics .....

the inappropriate smiling / happy face has also upset me numerous times.  it seems their culture teaches them to smile as a virtual cure for anything.

• Like 1

The Western and Soviet insurance companies would not provide people with travel insurance if the destination is Thailand.

Then the number of tourists was then equal to zero.

The insurance itself costs as much wherever you travel.

Remove all of Thailand from the insurance.  You travel at your own risk.

WAKE UP insurance companies! It is much cheaper without the Land of all kind accidents