Modern Thai Food: Vegan Japanese Sweet Potato Ice Cream with Thai Cookie Crumbles

SiSePuede419

Some recipes for Ice Cream use cream, which isn't vegan.

For this one, I wanted it extra rich, just like premium ice cream loaded with cream ( Häagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry's ).

So, I tried this non-dairy substitute made in Thailand, available in the dairy case @ Makro.

Now, I'm not trying to imply just because it's vegan it's healthy.  French fries and beer are vegan.

But the label claims it's 74% lower in saturated fat than dairy cream.  

Of course, coconut milk ("gratit") is loaded with saturated fat (maybe healthy, the jury is still out), but for this recipe I used one box of non-dairy cream to a half of the smallest coconut milk boxes.

First I boiled the sweet potatoes.  Then froze them overnight. Then threw them in a blender with the non-dairy cream and coconut milk with a pinch of salt.  No sugar added. No need to peel the sweet potatoes, as the flesh under the skins is the newest part and contains the highest number of sweet potato stem cells.

Then process in ice cream machine.  Put into cold freezer to firm up.

Serve with coconut milk, Maple syrup and crumbles Thai cookies.

3opr78.jpg

41 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

For this one, I wanted it extra rich, just like premium ice cream loaded with cream ( Häagen-Dazs or Ben & Jerry's ).

So, I tried this non-dairy substitute made in Thailand, available in the dairy case @ Makro.

I'm not familiar with that product from Makro... The nutrition label info looks OK, but I can't tell from the image you posted what exactly that stuff is made from?

At home here, I too make my own ice cream with a Cuisinart electric ice cream maker from the U.S.  Thai brand ice cream, especially the mass market stuff, is JUNK that doesn't deserve to be called CREAM anything, because it's usually made from some combination of palm oil, sugar syrups and milk solids/powder instead of actual cream or milk.  Look at the Thai nutrition/ingredient labels, and you'll almost never see any ingredient for either cream or milk with their ice creams.

I tried a variety of bases, and ended up using and liking the 500 ml tubs of Caroline brand Pot Set Low Fat Yogurt. It ends up tasting quite good with any variety of flavorings, and with a bit of guar gum powder added, the consistency remains somewhat soft, not rock/ice hard like you'd get with some other non-cream bases (because they have less fat content).  So it's both reasonably healthy for you, easy to eat, and has a nice neutral flavor that doesn't mess with whatever ice cream flavorings you've added.