Parasite (South Korean movie) wins Oscar's best picture, but ...

Jingthing

4 hours ago, UbonThani said:

Correct. Yawn. Oscars is a joke really. Overpaid imposters playing dress ups.

Books leave movies for dead.

Whether I agree or not with the results of the Oscars, their pick for Best Picture gets my attention.  I've seen pretty much all the Best Picture films, usually after the award was announced, and find just about all to be quality films.  So it's sort of a good "movie recommendation" sort of thing, if nothing else.  I'd imagine all your favorite films are probably black & white....5555.   

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Whether I agree or not with the results of the Oscars, their pick for Best Picture gets my attention.  I've seen pretty much all the Best Picture films, usually after the award was announced, and find just about all to be quality films.  So it's sort of a good "movie recommendation" sort of thing, if nothing else.  I'd imagine all your favorite films are probably black & white....5555.   

No mostly 90s early 2000. Not much good stuff afterwards.

11 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Unforgiven

Million Dollar Baby

Heat

Hotel Rwanda

Cape Fear

The Score

The Fugitive

u know like good movies.

Cape Fear and Fugitive were excellent.  The others...so so.  A matter of taste.  But some recent Best Pictures are up there...the Departed, No Country for Old Men, Spotlight...no?  I don't confine myself to any era or genre.  Some of my favorites include Ben-Hur (1960), Sound of Music, to Avatar, Terminator, Matrix, Raising Arizona...too many to name.  Some movies are just really well made and can touch us in different ways.  Heck, I cried a bit at the end of Saving Private Ryan and when Forrest Gump discovered his son.  But I'm just sentimental that way.   

On 2/10/2020 at 1:10 PM, Jingthing said:

OK, first of all I haven't seen all of the competitive films this year but I have seen Parasite. It definitely deserves awards up the wazoo. A truly incredible movie.

By the way, you did perk my interest and I do intend to watch this movie.  When it comes out on HBO. 

On 2/10/2020 at 1:25 PM, Jingthing said:

Them meaning the movies or the expats?

Anyway, I would definitely recommend Parasite as definitely not garbage.

I would add that the South Korean cinema is magnificent, even fantastic!
I do not have in mind all the titles of Korean films that I have already seen in VO but under titles because I do not (yet) master Korean.
Difficult to cite all those who have marked me

The Handmaiden directed by Park Chan-wook

A Bittersweet Life directed by Kim Jee-woon

I'm waiting to be able to see Parasite, of course.

1 hour ago, Assurancetourix said:

I would add that the South Korean cinema is magnificent, even fantastic!
I do not have in mind all the titles of Korean films that I have already seen in VO but under titles because I do not (yet) master Korean.
Difficult to cite all those who have marked me

The Handmaiden directed by Park Chan-wook

A Bittersweet Life directed by Kim Jee-woon

I'm waiting to be able to see Parasite, of course.

Oldboy (2003) is a much better korean movie, with Parasite i was waiting for it to end

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Oldboy (2003) is a much better korean movie, with Parasite i was waiting for it to end

I have not seen it;
however I remember seeing the two versions of Infernal Affairs; the two films are very good; I had seen the Korean version before the American remake.

There are so few new and exciting ideas coming out of Hollywood it isn’t funny. This was an good/ok film but it really won by default. Can anyone here name a USA based film that could go down in movie history as a very fine film: aka required viewing and eligible for this year’s award? It’s sequels and remakes that dominated the past year. Star Wars, Bad Boys, Jumanji, The Equalizer, Joker (even that’s a play on previous films] Marvel Universe, DC Universe. This is what Hollywood is concentrating on. It’s a money game. 

On 2/10/2020 at 7:25 PM, Jingthing said:

Them meaning the movies or the expats?

Anyway, I would definitely recommend Parasite as definitely not garbage.

Hollywood movies are mostly garbage. Good movie experiences are provided by small independent movie makers, but they are being squeezed out by the money men that consider The Avengers "quality" cinema ( that refers to both the series with a collection of unlikely characters, and the movie The Avengers with Uma Thurman which managed to take a brilliant and well loved tv series and completely destroy it..

If anyone actually thinks Hollywood is capable of making a great movie, I give them "Hobbs and Shaw", an, IMO, abomination which would, be hard to create for any movie maker with an ounce of integrity.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:21 PM, UbonThani said:

No mostly 90s early 2000. Not much good stuff afterwards.

I don't remember exactly when Hollywood went under, but it was around the time some money man decided it was a good idea to keep making sequels to Fast and Furious, when that seam had been well and truly mined out.

Making sequels regardless inevitably ends up with movies like the last Rambo film.

The latest money making wheeze seems to be making movies with kick ass women, except they are almost all terrible movies. I won't even go see any of them as a waste of money and time.

What was the last movie I really enjoyed- Farmageddon.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't remember exactly when Hollywood went under, but it was around the time some money man decided it was a good idea to keep making sequels to Fast and Furious, when that seam had been well and truly mined out.

Making sequels regardless inevitably ends up with movies like the last Rambo film.

The latest money making wheeze seems to be making movies with kick ass women, except they are almost all terrible movies. I won't even go see any of them as a waste of money and time.

What was the last movie I really enjoyed- Farmageddon.

The rambo movie was the best movie of 2019. A truly masculine gory movie of old. I loved every moment of it.

• Like 1

I’ve got a Korean movie channel, and the films that I can watch for more than a few minutes are few and far between.  People rubbishing Hollywood movies need to get out more; their mediocre blandness is a standard that many fail to match

On 2/10/2020 at 1:10 PM, Jingthing said:

OK, first of all I haven't seen all of the competitive films this year but I have seen Parasite. It definitely deserves awards up the wazoo. A truly incredible movie.

I have not yet seen this film;
the director could have called it :
The Cuckoo Family, :whistling:

but it is possible that he does not know the existence of this bird although he is living in Korea ...