Hi, Newbie Post..

Burgo1979

Hi, could anyone tell me the steps involved to be able to teach in Thailand?, i've lived here for 15 years, over 50, and looking for a career change.

i have a NON O visa based on marriage to a Thai.

I have no teaching experience, but trying to work out the best place to start. I have no degree, is it possible to teach here with a TEFL/TESOL only if the right opportunity is presented to me?, does experience working amongst thais help?

Any basic advice on a starting point (if any) would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Col

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Burgo1979 said:

Thanks, although i know of 2 people who have done it with TEFL only.

Col

Try a language center. Regular MoE schools will in almost instances require a degree. That's the law, anyway. Make sure your employer applies for a work permit for you.

Language school or online teaching. But the hourly rate for online teaching is going down, down, down, as eastern Europeans and other NNESs have become competitors. Maybe you will make 10 dollars an hour online, maybe around the same at a language school. In both cases, being a naive English speaker is a BIG plus (not much higher salary, but easier to secure work).

I knew a woman here a few years ago that taught private lessons in English in Starbucks in Langsuan in BKK. She did individuals and groups. It was all university students. For one person, she charged 500 baht for an hour and then if they brought a friend that she could teach at the same level  she charged 400, 3, 300 and so on. She did it 5 days a week from noon until 5 or 6, back to back classes. It would take a while to build up enough clients to live off it but she managed it. She told me she had one older Thai guy who did his lesson with her in a pub! All he wanted to do was meet once a week for an hour and practise his English. He paid for his lesson and the drinks! Anyway, just a suggestion. 

• Like 1

On February 10, 2020 at 2:35 PM, Burgo1979 said:

Col

So why did you ask:

Is it possible to teach here with a TEFL/TESOL only i

why not ask the people who claim that's what they're doing?  Also ask them if they are legally employed and enjoy the conditions of their employment. 

If youve you've been here 15 years and want to change your career, what have you been doing and why change?

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 3:17 PM, puchooay said:

That is about it. Language schools working evenings and weekends.

For a school governed by OBEC, not MoE, a teaching licence or waiver of such licence is required from Teachers' Council of Thailand in order to get a work permit. A bachelor degree is required for these to be issued.

Language schools and universities are excluded from this rule.

Likely scenario for those 2 teachers on a TEFL is that they are working illegally.

I never worked illegally, my school got me a work permit. I have a TEFL but no degree.

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I never worked illegally, my school got me a work permit. I have a TEFL but no degree.

You also said in another  post that you taught a few years back. Language centers and Universities aside, it is their decision what qualifications they desire their teachers to have, it is now not possible to get a work permit to teach if you do not have a degree. It is a requirement of the TCT. Without a degree you will not get a licence or a waiver. You need this to get a work permit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Plenty people teaching without a degree or even a wp

Interesting comment. Are you saying that you personally know these people? Are you advocating such behaviour?

If you did advocate this would you also mention the risks involved?

The OP has said he is on a Non O based on marriage. I am sure he would not want to risk problems with immigration/labour department and possible deportation.

28 minutes ago, puchooay said:

The OP has said he is on a Non O based on marriage. I am sure he would not want to risk problems with immigration/labour department and possible deportation.

They usually don't deport married guys for working illegally.

Or drink driving, or failing a drug test, etc.

Non-O married is legit for working, just a work permit problem, no big deal.

Edited by BritManToo

A common phenomenon: Native speakers of Language X who think that that fact qualifies them to teach X to non-X speaking people.

Pity the poor kids. Mind you, most of the Thai 'English' teachers I've encountered here in Isaan can't speak a word of English, or are too frightened to do so ...

• Like 1

It really depends what you mean by teaching. If you want to be a classroom teacher you will need the necessary qualifications - these seem to vary from institution to institution - international schools most stringent - universities less so (?). Tutoring can be profitable - the cash gigs can be great - especially if they are at a pub - but you do start bordering into illegal territory. It isn't a career move.

In my experience, language centres only offered a work permit if you did enough hours each week. That was a long time ago though and things may have changed. (hmm?)

Hope this helps

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They usually don't deport married guys for working illegally.

Or drink driving, or failing a drug test, etc.

Non-O married is legit for working, just a work permit problem, no big deal.

Yes. I am fully aware that a Non O is OK for working, after having obtained a work permit.

You only quoted half of my post. The point I was making was that someone seemed to be advocating working without a work permit.

The OP is "newbie post". I felt it was perfectly on topic and relevant to point out pitfalls of working without a WP, which is a big deal for those without a degree

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 2:35 PM, Burgo1979 said:

Col

My daughter did it with TEFL only and eventually got caught and sacked for not having a degree and was in all sorts of trouble ' DON'T DO IT !!

18 hours ago, puchooay said:

You also said in another  post that you taught a few years back. Language centers and Universities aside, it is their decision what qualifications they desire their teachers to have, it is now not possible to get a work permit to teach if you do not have a degree. It is a requirement of the TCT. Without a degree you will not get a licence or a waiver. You need this to get a work permit.

Yes, it's true. But more and more schools change the title to trainer or teacher's assistant, which allows them to bypass the TCT.

No provisional TL needed. 

And the OP would receive a work permit, of course depending on the province, immigration and Department of labor. 

I don't think that ESL teaching could be considered a career. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
First hired, then fired.
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Yes, it's true. But more and more schools change the title to trainer or teacher's assistant, which allows them to bypass the TCT.

No provisional TL needed. 

And the OP would receive a work permit, of course depending on the province, immigration and Department of labor. 

I don't think that ESL teaching could be considered a career. 

An wide of the mark comment about an archaic procedure. Most, many, if not all labour offices see through this now. A visit to the school is often taken out to disprove such a role is being taken. New guidelines have, are being, set to halt applicants from circumnavigating the rules

6 hours ago, puchooay said:

An wide of the mark comment about an archaic procedure. Most, many, if not all labour offices see through this now. A visit to the school is often taken out to disprove such a role is being taken. New guidelines have, are being, set to halt applicants from circumnavigating the rules

Yes, the powers-that-be are quite well aware that it is simply a work around for those who aren't fully qualified.   We never had a problem with it, BUT, they give us a very specific number of positions for a rather large school that could be filled by 'non-teachers'.   They have also set limitations on how long some of them can be employed in that position.   They also have not permitted us to hire people who do not have a Bachelor's Degree.  

I deal with schools in several provinces and all of them are a little different in what they will and will not allow.   One province, for example, said no foreign staff that isn't a qualified teacher.   Another had allowed people without a degree -- whether that will continue or not is hard to say.

For people who are native English speakers and have a degree, Echo English is contracted by the Thai Education dept to supply paid English teachers in rural Thailand and is looking for looking for candidates to start in the new Thai school year which starts Mid May, they will arrange the Visa's and Workpermits...

43 minutes ago, richardperry said:

This Thai Govt school at Lopburi allready have 7 English teacher from Echo English and the school is asking for 12-15 more for Mid May back to school...

image.png.84295058b0cf7fbfbd5f366c147bb3f8.png

Looks like a TEFl course promotion.

To say on your website that a Tefl is required is incorrect. Oh hang on, that is followed by the offer of a 120 hr TEFL course and a guaranteed job.

See it all before.

As mentioned before all the schools are slightly different,  some schools require the TEFL certificate some do not,, If the candidate shows to be confident and able to teach and the school that has been chosen does not require the TEFL then they can go straight in....  The 120 hour TEFL on Koh Pang na is only run 2/3 times a year and is a big success,,, The company is a Teacher placement company and not a TEFL promotion service.. There are guaranteed work positions for all suitable candidates all year round, they do have wait for a new term...

On 2/14/2020 at 5:24 PM, possum1931 said:

You are very fortunate and the school must value you to bother with that.

This guy is starting out in 2020 at 50+yo with no degree. I honestly don't think working without a degree in public schools is even possible any more. Further, I think the time and expense for this guy running around and getting rejected will be high. He will also face unscrupulous employees that will tell him they'll get a wp but won't.