BANGKOK
Burgo1979

Hi, Newbie Post..

Hi, could anyone tell me the steps involved to be able to teach in Thailand?, i've lived here for 15 years, over 50, and looking for a career change.

i have a NON O visa based on marriage to a Thai.

I have no teaching experience, but trying to work out the best place to start. I have no degree, is it possible to teach here with a TEFL/TESOL only if the right opportunity is presented to me?, does experience working amongst thais help?

Any basic advice on a starting point (if any) would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Col

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Burgo1979 said:

Thanks, although i know of 2 people who have done it with TEFL only.

Col

Try a language center. Regular MoE schools will in almost instances require a degree. That's the law, anyway. Make sure your employer applies for a work permit for you.

Language school or online teaching. But the hourly rate for online teaching is going down, down, down, as eastern Europeans and other NNESs have become competitors. Maybe you will make 10 dollars an hour online, maybe around the same at a language school. In both cases, being a naive English speaker is a BIG plus (not much higher salary, but easier to secure work).

Teaching online is an option. There are Chinese schools, Thai schools, South American schools, etc. that teach English online. 

Not having a degree will slow you down, but it won't hold you back. No experience? Get creative with work you've done in the past. Possibly there is some overlap that the schools will accept. Good luck!

I knew a woman here a few years ago that taught private lessons in English in Starbucks in Langsuan in BKK. She did individuals and groups. It was all university students. For one person, she charged 500 baht for an hour and then if they brought a friend that she could teach at the same level  she charged 400, 3, 300 and so on. She did it 5 days a week from noon until 5 or 6, back to back classes. It would take a while to build up enough clients to live off it but she managed it. She told me she had one older Thai guy who did his lesson with her in a pub! All he wanted to do was meet once a week for an hour and practise his English. He paid for his lesson and the drinks! Anyway, just a suggestion. 

• Like 1

On February 10, 2020 at 2:35 PM, Burgo1979 said:

Col

So why did you ask:

Is it possible to teach here with a TEFL/TESOL only i

why not ask the people who claim that's what they're doing?  Also ask them if they are legally employed and enjoy the conditions of their employment. 

If youve you've been here 15 years and want to change your career, what have you been doing and why change?

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 2:35 PM, Burgo1979 said:

Col

I did it, and was highly successful, but that was a few years back.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:17 PM, puchooay said:

That is about it. Language schools working evenings and weekends.

For a school governed by OBEC, not MoE, a teaching licence or waiver of such licence is required from Teachers' Council of Thailand in order to get a work permit. A bachelor degree is required for these to be issued.

Language schools and universities are excluded from this rule.

Likely scenario for those 2 teachers on a TEFL is that they are working illegally.

I never worked illegally, my school got me a work permit. I have a TEFL but no degree.

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I never worked illegally, my school got me a work permit. I have a TEFL but no degree.

You also said in another  post that you taught a few years back. Language centers and Universities aside, it is their decision what qualifications they desire their teachers to have, it is now not possible to get a work permit to teach if you do not have a degree. It is a requirement of the TCT. Without a degree you will not get a licence or a waiver. You need this to get a work permit.

• Like 1

Put an ad outside your house on the gate in Thai and then wait a month - Look at local language centres and go in and ask

Plenty people teaching without a degree or even a wp,. Craigslist always looking, Ajarn.com. Facebook groups...loads of opportunities,

• Haha 1