BANGKOK
webfact

UK declares coronavirus a serious and imminent threat to public health

UK declares coronavirus a serious and imminent threat to public health

REUTERS.jpg

FILE PHOTO: A woman wearing a mask is seen in Newcastle, Britain January 31, 2020. REUTERS/Lee Smith

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain said on Monday that the new coronavirus was a serious and imminent threat to public health, a step that gives the government additional powers to fight the spread of the virus.

“The Secretary of State declares that the incidence or transmission of novel coronavirus constitutes a serious and imminent threat to public health,” the health ministry said.

“Measures outlined in these regulations are considered as an effective means of delaying or preventing further transmission of the virus,” the ministry said.

The ministry designated Arrowe Park Hospital and Kents Hill Park as an “isolation” facility and Wuhan and Hubei province in China as an “infected area”.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Michael Holden)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-10

FILE PHOTO: A woman wearing a mask is seen in Newcastle, Britain January 31, 2020. REUTERS/Lee Smith

-------------------------------------------

the blurred writing on the sign in the background looks like Thai to me, could be wrong

BBC news are suggesting this could mean "self isolation" for 14 days when returning from "high risk" countries, Singapore & Thailand were mentioned!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smedly said:

the blurred writing on the sign in the background looks like Thai to me, could be wrong

Either way it’s an brown Asian person with sloped eyes who like to wear masks. More than likely to keep the chill of her face. 

• Sad 2

in the meantime with still 100.000 chinese in thailand, TIT does nothing at all, more chinese please

maybe this is an extra option for the government to do some people cleanup, after the road death kind of population control

18 hours ago, smedly said:

17 hours ago, Crossy said:

Or she's in front of this sign.

Versatile image ...

1201935385_thetocgr.png.7b84e4f1a06756c85e51837eb0b48321.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, smedly said:

Thapae Gate?

I'm GUESSING this is done for different reasons.  Perhaps NOW they can force quarantine and break into a place to get an infected person....Yes, it's obvious to us, but in 1st world countries they need to follow protocol before they can get you...

I say put it to DEFCON 1 and play Tick-tac-toe....

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tomy yupyup said:

Either way it’s an brown Asian person with sloped eyes who like to wear masks. More than likely to keep the chill of her face. 

silly    talking    

5 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Actually the flu (real influenza, not a "cold") at this time is affecting more people and kills a greater percentage

do you know how percentages 'actually' work?

On 2/10/2020 at 8:16 AM, Caiman said:

BBC news are suggesting this could mean "self isolation" for 14 days when returning from "high risk" countries, Singapore & Thailand were mentioned!

Yes that is being repeated on most news items now.  People are also being strongly advised to not travel to countries in South East Asia IF they are elderly, the young or infirm.  The death toll is rising daily, more than a thousand so far, albeit mainly in mainland China

What I would say to those who are saying "it's just flu" is that, as you probably know, all old people and children in the UK are given flu jabs every year because, for them, flu can be fatal.