UK declares coronavirus a serious and imminent threat to public health

webfact

UK declares coronavirus a serious and imminent threat to public health

REUTERS.jpg

FILE PHOTO: A woman wearing a mask is seen in Newcastle, Britain January 31, 2020. REUTERS/Lee Smith

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain said on Monday that the new coronavirus was a serious and imminent threat to public health, a step that gives the government additional powers to fight the spread of the virus.

“The Secretary of State declares that the incidence or transmission of novel coronavirus constitutes a serious and imminent threat to public health,” the health ministry said.

“Measures outlined in these regulations are considered as an effective means of delaying or preventing further transmission of the virus,” the ministry said.

The ministry designated Arrowe Park Hospital and Kents Hill Park as an “isolation” facility and Wuhan and Hubei province in China as an “infected area”.

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge; editing by Michael Holden)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-10

FILE PHOTO: A woman wearing a mask is seen in Newcastle, Britain January 31, 2020. REUTERS/Lee Smith

-------------------------------------------

the blurred writing on the sign in the background looks like Thai to me, could be wrong

1 hour ago, smedly said:

the blurred writing on the sign in the background looks like Thai to me, could be wrong

Either way it’s an brown Asian person with sloped eyes who like to wear masks. More than likely to keep the chill of her face. 

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, smedly said:

Thapae Gate?

I'm GUESSING this is done for different reasons.  Perhaps NOW they can force quarantine and break into a place to get an infected person....Yes, it's obvious to us, but in 1st world countries they need to follow protocol before they can get you...

I say put it to DEFCON 1 and play Tick-tac-toe....

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 8:16 AM, Caiman said:

BBC news are suggesting this could mean "self isolation" for 14 days when returning from "high risk" countries, Singapore & Thailand were mentioned!

Yes that is being repeated on most news items now.  People are also being strongly advised to not travel to countries in South East Asia IF they are elderly, the young or infirm.  The death toll is rising daily, more than a thousand so far, albeit mainly in mainland China

What I would say to those who are saying "it's just flu" is that, as you probably know, all old people and children in the UK are given flu jabs every year because, for them, flu can be fatal. 

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

It is not about a virus, it is about a dress rehearsal of order, control and how far governments can go! 

This!

I actually like the way that Thailand is more laid back in all this.

Edited by freestyle
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Proboscis said:
On 2/10/2020 at 7:51 AM, GeorgeCross said:

it's just the flu bro ????

Actually the flu (real influenza, not a "cold") at this time is affecting more people and kills a greater percentage

Does 'flu kills a greater percentage of sufferers than coronavirus? Too early to say. 

From How does the Wuhan coronavirus compare to seasonal flu?

Around 2% of people who have caught the new coronavirus have died but this figure is likely to change as treatments are developed and the virus is contained.

In comparison, SARS, which is considered similar, had a mortality rate of more than 10% when it was active in the early 2000s and the seasonal flu has a mortality rate of around 1%.

Although flu might not seem like a deadly illness, on average it kills around 17,000 people in England a year.

Public Health England told ITV News: "The number of flu cases and deaths due to flu-related complications varies each flu season.

"The average number of deaths in England for the last five seasons, 2014/15 to 2018/19, was 17,000 deaths annually.

"This ranged from 1,692 deaths last season, 2018/19, to 28,330 deaths in 2014/15."

Note those figures are just for England.

8 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Nobody wants to tell me that there is NOT A SINGLE case in Laos; open (most uncontrolled) border, neighbouring China and absolutely dependent from China in most aspects.

Why Laos Has Not Reported Any Coronavirus Cases

A hotline was promptly set up for citizens to voice their concerns or report potential cases of the coronavirus, and temperature screening began at all the country’s airports.

Laos then effectively closed its borders to tourists from China, but not before at least one known carrier of the virus entered the country, traveling from Vientiane, through Vang Vieng, and then Luang Prabang.......

the virus is likely here, perhaps lurking among the population, but remains undetected or unreported.

20 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I'm GUESSING this is done for different reasons.  Perhaps NOW they can force quarantine and break into a place to get an infected person....Yes, it's obvious to us, but in 1st world countries they need to follow protocol before they can get you...

I say put it to DEFCON 1 and play Tick-tac-toe....

There was a gov' spokesman who said on UK news it was done when one guy in isolation claimed there was no legal reason existing to allow him to be held in isolation so he was going to go home. Bringing in this measure provides the 'legal reason' to hold people in isolation until they are cleared.

( Probably the guy had been talking to some dumb lawyer, that's my thought anyway. )

On 2/10/2020 at 3:16 PM, Caiman said:

BBC news are suggesting this could mean "self isolation" for 14 days when returning from "high risk" countries, Singapore & Thailand were mentioned!

UK family visit planned for April , maybe they not welcome me, anymore ...

Edited by elliss