Business class or econmy deluxe?

Spaniel

I use ITA and skyscanner and also Google flights.  Sample dates for Sep are showing $3,500 on Etihad and you can set an alert notice for price drops: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=BKK.IAD.2020-09-06*IAD.BKK.2020-09-20;c:USD;e:1;sc:b;sd:1;t:f

Some "consolidators" buy frequent flyer miles and book tickets using them.  Avoid those because if the airline gets suspicious, they will deny you boarding and you'll have a very hard time getting your money back.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Seat configuration is something to consider.  The JAL business cabin is 2-2-2 while ANA is 1-2-1. Of course, ANA is more expensive but you get to transit Tokyo.

JAL from BKK-NRT/HND might be 2-2-2 but the flights into JFK/IAD are 1-2-1. Also DFW-NRT is 1-2-1

CX similar -some BKK-HKG are 2-2-2 and some are 1-2-1 but the flights into JFK/EWR are 1-2-1. 

EVA from BKK-VIE is 1-2-1 and Austrian from VIE-JFK also 1-2-1 and they have some of the best business class airline food but a mediocre selection of wines.

8 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Yes. And I am not sure whether they do now but they certainly used to provide a car service (mercedes benz) to your destination within Bangkok too.

Not entirely relevant to OP because of routing (starting in UK) but but Emirates BC as of last week:

Mercedes pickup at home

Dropped at LGW right at the check in - special lane for limo about which I never knew - under cover in case of rain

Check in - given sticker for Priority security line - they're polite and helpful!! 

BC lounge at LGW - cooked buffet breakfast - all you want - very comfortable - service impeccable

Shower available

Called to the aircraft as late as practical and straight to one's seat.

A380 - you have nobody sitting next to you due to the layout

(champagne before takeoff if it interests you)

Full length bed, multi adjustable - very comfortable

Decent food when you wish it or go to the bar or both

Priority transfer at DXB to BC lounge

Same standards on DXB to BKK

Priority immigration line at BKK

LImo available IF your journey is below a certain distance - if over that, they charge extra per km.

I was being picked up by my Pattaya taxi driver anyway.

I'm expecting the same on return ????

On 2/12/2020 at 1:01 PM, kensawadee said:

I didn't see anywhere about your Thai Wife (Already) having a visa to get into the USA.....

If she already has her Visa, then no problem.

IF SHE DOESN'T HAVE ---then do that before booking your flights.... Many tickets are Non-Refundable or other cases cancelling will cost a big portion of your ticket cost. The US Embassy can be a nightmare for Thais getting a Visa, in SOME cases.  Don't just assume that because you are married that she can go to the USA, She most likely CAN GO, BUT there may be a few time consuming 'requirements' to 'wade thru'.

I'm just offering this..... 'Just in case'

Thanks for the concern.   She has a ten year visa.

Just a comment on booking business if two of you - some airlines do not have two seats together or only a limited number of them.

Finnair has herringbone layout so the double seats in the middle have your feet together but your heads miles apart and a big screen between. OK if you have just had a row ........... Best to sit on opposite sides of the isle if you do want to chatter.

Emirates have only a few seats that enable you to talk together without leaning forward and round a bulkhead. Of course you can go to the bar to chatter.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the replies.   Here is an option I thought about.   Purchase 3  economy seats together for my wife and I.   We are relatively small, I am 5'9, 150 lb and wife about 5"4 and skinny!    I think we could really get comfortable in 3 economy seats.   Has anyone done this?

13 hours ago, Spaniel said:

Thanks everyone for the replies.   Here is an option I thought about.   Purchase 3  economy seats together for my wife and I.   We are relatively small, I am 5'9, 150 lb and wife about 5"4 and skinny!    I think we could really get comfortable in 3 economy seats.   Has anyone done this?

Do you know that you can do it? 

Been looking at similar flights and trying to avoid the quarantine zones-found a direct flight from BKK to SVO in Moscow followed 2 hrs later by a direct flight SVO to JFK. Economy class price is 11,500 THB and 7,356 THB. Total air time is 20 hrs (10 each leg) vs same price, layovers in quarantine zones and 24 hrs air time by letting the booking site do it all.

Cheapest flights I've found all go through China which almost guarantees a Quarantine in the states plus a possible rerouting by the state dept to 1 of 8 airports in the states accepting flights from China. Site says ALL flights originating from China will be rerouted.

Seriously thinking of either going for a 2-day adventure in 1-way flights all booked seperately or postponing the trip til Oct.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Spaniel said:

It's not going to happen. Some airlines, like Air NZ might allow it, but most won't.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:47 AM, Spaniel said:

Etihad let you buy what I think they call a "comfort seat" which is an empty seat next to you.  Lots of airlines let fatties buy an extra seat just to fit in so you might want to look at that.