UK plans to introduce border controls on EU goods after post-Brexit transition

webfact

On 2/21/2020 at 6:05 AM, Nigel Garvie said:

Sorry LG this is not a grammar issue, but an issue of meaning.

Being an Anglophile means that you love England/the English.

You can't do that and be a Brit basher at the same time.

Oh dear, the "Taking back control" nonsense you were fed certainly hit its mark. Were you scared when they told you that someone/thing else was controlling you, that's exactly what they wanted you to feel.

Bedtime reading -  lovely heading - Brexit has stuffed us say uk sausage chiefs.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-has-stuffed-us-say-uk-sausage-chiefs-p9w937qmh?fbclid=IwAR0NyNylSUn-87bdQ5yHUWX675Vv8jKIxvRRq5-iO2-rSFatvtei9clQxQ4

Once we take back control, we will be captain of our own jolly- boat on the seas of international trade, not part of a community steering one of the largest vessels in the ocean.  We might need to top up our RNLI contribution, though

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Melvin, I think you only call it rambling because you're in denial about the EU budget problems. Bartender made a perfectly valid point. 

And if you read it again, the unelected leaders he refers to are presumably the EU bureaucrats involved in negotiations with the UK, not the leaders at this budget summit. 

???

denial? that is rambling for sure, I am in no rambling re any budget

Bartender points to editorial stuff re the EU budget, that stuff is handled by elected leaders.

ok, he might have referred to redtapers negotiating with UK before UK vanished,

but those are not leaders but bureaucrats as you say

• Like 1

6 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

???

denial? that is rambling for sure, I am in no rambling re any budget

Bartender points to editorial stuff re the EU budget, that stuff is handled by elected leaders.

ok, he might have referred to redtapers negotiating with UK before UK vanished,

but those are not leaders but bureaucrats as you say

The EU budget is proposed by the commission, so the unelected bureaucrats are involved from the off.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, evadgib said:

So the weather is now the latest stick to beat him with...?

Well now you mention it, what about our new blue passports. I mean we want to distinguish ourselves as separate from the EU, right? Take back control, sovereignty, proud to be British, etc.

So why is the 'iconic' new UK passport being produced by a French-Dutch company in Poland?

Is it likely to get held up at Customs at Dover on January 1st 2021?

Can't we even produce our own passports on our own soil?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The EU budget is proposed by the commission, so the unelected bureaucrats are involved from the off.

I find that comment somewhat silly,

if you take that approach then mostly everything is done by unelected bur.

US foreign policy

UK trade

UK fofreign olicy

UK defence

no room for politicians

no room for prime ministers or heads of states

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bannork said:

Well now you mention it, what about our new blue passports. I mean we want to distinguish ourselves as separate from the EU, right? Take back control, sovereignty, proud to be British, etc.

So why is the 'iconic' new UK passport being produced by a French-Dutch company in Poland?

you could also ask,

if you fancy being different why are the UK passports red and not blue?

there is no EU requirement that passports should not be blue

Edited by melvinmelvin
typo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, melvinmelvin said:

you could also ask,

if you fancy being different why are the UK passports red and not blue?

there is no EU requirement that passports should not be blue

England committing Brexit to get blue passports. 

Croatia be like, whaat?

Croatian biometric passport.jpg

• Like 1

Who cares? We are out, let them squabble over their budget

We can buy where we want now, if they don't want to trade to their previously biggest customer up to them

I am sure the people in the streets of the EU will have a different view in the years to come when M&M are history

3 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

I find that comment somewhat silly,

if you take that approach then mostly everything is done by unelected bur.

US foreign policy

UK trade

UK fofreign olicy

UK defence

no room for politicians

no room for prime ministers or heads of states

Topic is EU policy. I said "involved", not "done by". What are you on about? 

Edited by nauseus
"involved", not "done by"

23 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

re being dep. on unskilled EEA workers;

a few seafood processing industries in Norway hire and import workers from PI,

works pretty OK as far as I  understand

Norway is actually not a member of the EU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway–European_Union_relations

Norway is not a member state of the European Union (EU). It is associated with the Union through its membership in agreements in the European Economic Area (EEA) established in 1994, and by virtue of being a founding member of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) which was founded in 1960, one of the two historically dominant western European trade blocs. Norway had considered joining the European Community and the European Union twice, but opted to decline following referendums in 1972 and 1994.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheDark said:

England committing Brexit to get blue passports. 

Croatia be like, whaat?

???????? (all of it!) left ???????? & couldn't care less for the views of ???????? (or ???????? !)

???????????????????????????? might win the ???? this afternoon & won't need their current ???????? passports as they're at home.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Who cares? We are out, let them squabble over their budget

We can buy where we want now, if they don't want to trade to their previously biggest customer up to them

I am sure the people in the streets of the EU will have a different view in the years to come when M&M are history

We can buy where we want now...............nutty comment, we always could buy wherever we wanted to.

if they don't want to trade to their previously biggest customer up to them.............factually incorrect, the US was and remains the EUs biggest trading partner,  and also customer, they sell more to US than UK.(See stats below from Wikipedia)

Thats 2 out of 2 wrong, near average for a Brexiteer the it comes to facts!

I can't comment on M&M, are they the many coloured chewy sweets.

trade.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Norway is actually not a member of the EU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway–European_Union_relations

Norway is not a member state of the European Union (EU). It is associated with the Union through its membership in agreements in the European Economic Area (EEA) established in 1994, and by virtue of being a founding member of the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) which was founded in 1960, one of the two historically dominant western European trade blocs. Norway had considered joining the European Community and the European Union twice, but opted to decline following referendums in 1972 and 1994.

did I know that?

when we talk 4 freedoms and labour stuff we don't talk EU but EEA

btw,

your wikipedia is wrong - your "twice" should read "4 times"

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Another brexiteer myth. In 1603 the King of Scotland wore the crown of both Scotland and England. Scotland lost control in the English coup of 1707, never something the people of Scotland ever wanted. Little doubt you will try and dispute the history books.

Do you really believe that someone has ever said that the population of Scotland and that of England were equal? Of course you don't, just another attempt at distortion.

Brexiteers just refuse to accept that Scotland should have any say, far less an equal say, in the determination of their own future.

With superior numbers in population it is a privilege that only England is entitled to, autocracy in everything but name.

- It is indeed a myth that B-B-Brexiteers were around in 1603 &

- RR (among others) bleats about ????????????????????????????'s equality all the time.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, bannork said:

EU procurement rules were largely to blame for the passport contract going to a foreign company. 

The UK company De La Rue previously made the British passports. De La Rue lost out after Gemalto (the French-Dutch company) undercut them by £50million.

EU procurement rules, which the UK had to obey whilst still in the EU, prevented ministers from discriminating against European firms bidding for public contracts.

The decision was therefore a result of a blind tender meaning that ministers were not allowed to know which firm had submitted which bid.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bannork said:

You should ask the Europhile politicians and civil servants placing contracts why they prefer spending UK money and taxes in Europe. That’s the way try to spread our love and cash a little too far. 

They would claim they are trying to save save us money, by using cheaper foreign printers. Of course UK companies have been very capable of producing passports for years, but that’s the way prefer to undercut and employ their plumbers too. They really don’t care about the UK workers and jobs, despite all their wails about ‘rights’ and deceitful forecasts of job losses.  

• Like 1