UK plans to introduce border controls on EU goods after post-Brexit transition

webfact

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

- Boris gave several example where UK standards exceeded the EU's in his 40min speech at Greenwich recently.

- I (we) eat chicken regularly in LoS. I have no idea how Thai standards fare compared to the 'chlorinated' smokescreen being pedalled as a stick to beat Boris with but I'm having none of it.

image.jpeg.0b0539ff356368a1c2670abe031390fb.jpeg

If my memory serves me right that is a sweet picture of Michael Gove using his daughter as a tester for his belief that BSE (And CJD) were not a problem. A bit later we were slaughtering 100,000s of cows and sheep.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

If my memory serves me right that is a sweet picture of Michael Gove using his daughter as a tester for his belief that BSE (And CJD) were not a problem. A bit later we were slaughtering 100,000s of cows and sheep.

It's John Gummer.

He & daughter are fine (& lets not forget the Horsemeat scandal during the EU's watch)

Edited by evadgib

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

In what way was the UK's economic future being stolen?

The historically unprecedented mass immigration promulgated under New Labour resulted in the acceleration of land prices, and the evaporation of low-skilled jobs. This pincer movement undermined the position of young people embarking on their careers. Immigration caused the cost-of-living crisis.

Voting for more immigration is undermining your own chances to find work and own your own home.

Just now, Nigel Garvie said:

Or optimism, as in talking about trade deals that haven't been agreed upon yet and the effects are unknown!

Thinking that just because the UK may have different standards to the EU , then the UK will not be able to sell products to the EU because of the differing standards is very simplistic .

The UK companies will still make products that adhere to EU standards so they can still sell to the EU .

As if a UK company will begin making products that dont conform to EU standards !!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

A customer? Really?

47% of all british exports were sent to the EU (2017). If there will be tax borders from next year on, the british economy will be hurt more than the EU's (for the moment).

No, fewer than 47% of UK exports go to the 10 largest economies of the EU (the WEU7 comprise over 80% of EU trade). Get some up-to-date figures and observe the decline in UK exports to EU countries.

The EU doesn't have an economy, because it's not a country. Inidivual countries in the EU, Germany in particular will be worse affected than the UK by a significant amount.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, codebunny said:

No, fewer than 47% of UK exports go to the 10 largest economies of the EU (the WEU7 comprise over 80% of EU trade). Get some up-to-date figures and observe the decline in UK exports to EU countries.

The EU doesn't have an economy, because it's not a country. Inidivual countries in the EU, Germany in particular will be worse affected than the UK by a significant amount.

You forget a small tiny detail: these EU countries will also benefit from falling away of British competition, when UK products will increase in price seen import duty into the EU and all customs paper work.. 

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Moo 2 said:

Boris has more serious problems to deal with than creating borders. 48% of voters in the UK want

to remain in the EU and will want answers soon, that's almost half or the population!

You forget the British democratic voting system; the winner takes it all. Even if 49,999 % is in favour, the 50,001 % gets their wishes done.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Given the UK’s appalling and stagnant productivity rates I’m not sure any Brexiteer is in a position give any meaningful comment on Germany cutting costs.

The British found another solution: decreasse the value of the GBP. A few years ago € 1,35, at present € 1,17. So a decrease of costs of 13%. 

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obvious you are right. But how could you possibly explain that to the people who believe in Boris? Mission Impossible!

Its you guys that believe that you are right and anyone with A  differing opinion is wrong and stupid and a nazi  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, codebunny said:

The historically unprecedented mass immigration promulgated under New Labour resulted in the acceleration of land prices, and the evaporation of low-skilled jobs. This pincer movement undermined the position of young people embarking on their careers. Immigration caused the cost-of-living crisis.

Voting for more immigration is undermining your own chances to find work and own your own home.

So there we have it.

Its all about immigration. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well you are, you just need to keep denying the Brexit failures as they arise.

There are no Brexit failures, we only just left.

Given the UK’s appalling and stagnant productivity rates I’m not sure any Brexiteer is in a position give any meaningful comment on Germany cutting costs.

That's not a meaningful comment.

You seem to have forgotten that Brexit promise to spend an extra £350,000,0000 a week on the NHS.

Not forgotten, it can still be spent, whilst cutting away all the waste and <deleted> to reduce the cost.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I understand that Brexiters don't read it.

How could they still look in a mirror after they realize that they ignored all the important facts for years?

I guess it's so much easier to stay ignorant and trust Boris. ???? 

The Mirror is even worse than the Guardian, it's a comic, but at least they can spell. You won't find many facts in such badly-edited rags as those, reading them is ideal if you want to remain ignorant.

52 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

This means
EU products will be more expensive for UK citizens, which they need on daily basis, since UK alone can not produce them 

UK products will be expensive in EU which EU citizens can easily have them substitutes with EU products.

Excellent economic move, that will punish UK citizens, good maybe next time they will ask to re join EU .

EU products might be, it depends whether the producers find ways of reducing their production costs. I don't think anyone "needs" wine and sportscars, the UK produces plenty and many things are available from outside the EU at competitive prices and quality. Similarly, not all UK products are needed or can be substituted. Individual countries in the EU will have no advantage in substituting imports over the UK substituting imports; over time the UK will be able to substitute with more agility than them. Nobody will be clamouring to rejoin when the Italian banking crisis starts.

38 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Alternatively we can sell out to the US and eat their lovely chlorinated chicken in return.

You know when you sterilise your kitchen worktops with dettol before preparing meat and veg, do you know what's in it? Have a guess...

32 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

The Germans simply wait, till the UK - but all foreign owned- car plants are shut down: economies of scale...

Are you suggesting that Germany will stop exporting cars to the UK, see it's factories mothballed, and staff laid off to play some kind of banal long game? What point is it that you're trying to make?

24 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Again a Brit, who did NOT search on Internet first before filing his comment..

EU-28 unemployment at 6.2 % in December 2019, lowest since the start of the EU monthly unemployment series in January 2000.  

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Unemployment_statistics

The European Union economy grew by 1.1 percent year-on-year in the fourth quarter of 2019, easing from a 1.4 percent expansion in the previous period, a preliminary estimate showed.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/gdp-annual-growth-rate?continent=europe  

The entire history of the EU is one of terribly low growth and high youth unemployment.

This is particularly a problem in the mediterranean countries including France.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rookiescot said:

So there we have it.

Its all about immigration. 

It's got a lot to do with it, and it's no big secret. It's not /all/ about immigration, but immigration affects economic, especially when it's pushed for left-wing ideological reasons, and not for credible economic reasons... unprecedentedly high... and unplanned for. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, codebunny said:

There is no falling away of British competition - it's the one thing the EU fears most, is a dynamic and agile Britain competing with them. Hence all the attempts to try and get Britain to acquiesce to EU rules by playing with words like "level playing field" and "retaining special access", they're frit.

a contradictio in terminus: dynamic and agile Britain

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

The issue here is quotas. 

Well, you were replying to a post which was about foreign companies holding a large share of the fishing rights. This will not change after Brexit.

For those who are not too familiar with this issue (I know you are familiar with it), there are two types of fishing zones:

- the one close to the coast (I forgot the exact definition) is exclusively under UK law. Foreign companies have no particular right to fish there, unless someone sells them fishing rights.

- the more distant zone: any EU boat can fish there (until now). It may change according negotiations with the EU.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Replace the British cash cow ? ?  it is finally getting started, 1 Kan 2021, when import duty according WTO-rules will be levied over all UK imports into the EU  ! !  With am import of a € 200 Bn ( € 85 Bn changed to intern EU production, so greater advantage ! ) and at a 10 % = € 20 Bn /yr. More as the average net UK contribution to the EU of a GBP 7,9 Bn, see  https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/CBP-7886  and  https://fullfact.org/online/eu-budget-contributions-misleading/

????

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

Again a Brit, who did NOT search on Internet first before filing his comment..

EU-28 unemployment at 6.2 % in December 2019, lowest since the start of the EU monthly unemployment series in January 2000.  

https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Unemployment_statistics

The European Union economy grew by 1.1 percent year-on-year in the fourth quarter of 2019, easing from a 1.4 percent expansion in the previous period, a preliminary estimate showed.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/gdp-annual-growth-rate?continent=europe  

Euro area unemployment at 7.4 % in December 2019.

1 hour ago, candide said:

Well, you were replying to a post which was about foreign companies holding a large share of the fishing rights. This will not change after Brexit.

For those who are not too familiar with this issue (I know you are familiar with it), there are two types of fishing zones:

- the one close to the coast (I forgot the exact definition) is exclusively under UK law. Foreign companies have no particular right to fish there, unless someone sells them fishing rights.

- the more distant zone: any EU boat can fish there (until now). It may change according negotiations with the EU.

Sub thread was quotas until some spark brought up rights to confuse.

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Oh dear lord. Do you actually believe that?

What the EU has said is if your products do not match our standards then you will not be selling your garbage to us.

Thats not a position of weakness. Thats the EU telling the UK what is acceptable. 

Now it would appear that the UK government has decided that it is not going to keep the EU standards we already have. So it would seem that the UK wants to position itself selling cheap rubbish to the rest of the world.

There are many countries which already do that and do it far cheaper than the UK will be able to.

As a business model it is stupidity on stilts.

I love the stupidity on stilts bit, if I was younger I would try to remember it. I did hear that the UN have given UK the Global National Darwin award, for committing economic suicide by the most idiotic means possible. Other countries may just be laughing at our success at removing ourselves from the gene pool!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I love the stupidity on stilts bit, if I was younger I would try to remember it. I did hear that the UN have given UK the Global National Darwin award, for committing economic suicide by the most idiotic means possible. Other countries may just be laughing at our success at removing ourselves from the gene pool!

The UN is as worthless as the EU IMHO.

We should leave that next.

• Like 1