UK plans to introduce border controls on EU goods after post-Brexit transition

webfact

Daniel Boffey in Brussels

Tue 11 Feb 2020 10.01 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/11/barnier-tells-uk-dont-kid-yourself-about-financial-services-deal

Barnier tells UK: don't kid yourself about financial services deal 

EU chief Brexit negotiator scotches hopes of special deal for City of London
Michel Barnier has warned Sajid Javid and Boris Johnson that “they should not kid themselves” that Brussels will give a special deal to the City of London after a photograph emerged of the UK’s opening negotiating position on the new post-Brexit arrangements.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I love the stupidity on stilts bit, if I was younger I would try to remember it. I did hear that the UN have given UK the Global National Darwin award, for committing economic suicide by the most idiotic means possible. Other countries may just be laughing at our success at removing ourselves from the gene pool!

...yet it won't stop you and your ilk yelling "I'm Brian and so is my wife!" if Boris needs to send evacuation flights here if the virus gets any worse ????

Have you ever had anything good to say about UK?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Agree with that but IMO the government's motive is to leave the EU with no deal. It's always been Johnson's objective, he failed in October because he didn't have a parliamentary majority. Now he's swept away the objectors in his own party and has a massive parliamentary majority (thanks for that, Lansman Corbyn) the way is clear for him to take us out with no deal and for his backers to fill their boots when the economy crashes.

That's not true. Johnson was trying to get his version of the Withdrawal Agreement through Parliament in October. He failed to get his WA through. He didn't fail to get 'no-deal' through Parliament.  

Boris did want to keep the prospect of 'no-deal' on the table to help us push for a better WA. That's the bit that was prevented due to the lack of a parliamentary majority. 

A so called 'no-deal' Brexit was if the UK left the EU without a Withdrawal Agreement. 

9 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

That's not true. Johnson was trying to get his version of the Withdrawal Agreement through Parliament in October. He failed to get his WA through. He didn't fail to get 'no-deal' through Parliament.  

Boris did want to keep the prospect of 'no-deal' on the table to help us push for a better WA. That's the bit that was prevented due to the lack of a parliamentary majority. 

A so called 'no-deal' Brexit was if the UK left the EU without a Withdrawal Agreement. 

If you believe that you'll believe anything. Oh sorry, you do, that's why you voted leave. 555

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The UK government have said time and time again that the NHS is not up for grabs. It would be political suicide if they sacrificed the NHS. Trump has said he's not interested in the NHS.

Labour and the SNP have been quite clever in trying to brainwash the public on these matters. They continue to weaponise the NHS. Thankfully the majority of the public haven't fallen for it. You have either fallen for it too, or you're also weaponising it. 

Erm.

You might want to read this.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50572502

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

Do you want to eat chlorinated chicken? I'm sure I don't.

Do you want to eat genetically modified grain? Not me, I really don't fancy rat genes in my breakfast bap.

This is a whole cooked canned chicken that is sold in US stores This is a whole cooked canned chicken that is sold in US stores

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4742712/Why-chickens-washed-chlorine.html

Edited by Opl

10 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:
21 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

If you believe that you'll believe anything. Oh sorry, you do, that's why you voted leave. 555

I believe it because it's true. We avoided a no-deal Brexit.

Here's a link to help you.  I chose the Newsround version, partly out of nostalgia for the John Craven days, and partly to help those who are hard of learning: 

What is a no-deal Brexit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/46607260

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

I believe it because it's true. We avoided a no-deal Brexit.

Here's a link to help you.  I chose the Newsround version, partly out of nostalgia for the John Craven days, and partly to help those who are hard of learning: 

What is a no-deal Brexit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/46607260

So what deal do we have?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

As I recall Johnson pulled his own deal because he did not want it scrutinised by parliament.

I also recall he illegally shut down parliament as well.

But you guys voted for him anyway.

The prorogation of parliament was judged to be unlawful, not illegal. It's important to get the facts right. 

And he called for the election because it was obvious the remainer parliament were intent on amending the the withdrawal agreement out of all recognition, and potentially keeping us in the EU indefinitely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/11/ursula-von-der-leyen-mocks-boris-johnsons-stance-on-eu-trade-deal

Ursula von der Leyen mocks Boris Johnson's stance on EU trade deal

European commission chief picks out contradictions in UK

Ursula von der Leyen has mocked Boris Johnson’s claims to be willing to accept an Australian-style trade deal with the EU by reminding MEPs that no such agreement exists.

In a speech to the EU’s parliament in Strasbourg, the president of the European commission repeatedly named the prime minister as she picked out the contradictions in his approach to the post-Brexit arrangements.

Von der Leyen noted that the “Canada-style deal” referred to by Johnson as his primary goal in the coming negotiations contained tariffs and quota limits on some goods crossing the Atlantic.

big deal

2 hours ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/11/barnier-tells-uk-dont-kid-yourself-about-financial-services-deal

Barnier tells UK: don't kid yourself about financial services deal 

EU chief Brexit negotiator scotches hopes of special deal for City of London
Michel Barnier has warned Sajid Javid and Boris Johnson that “they should not kid themselves” that Brussels will give a special deal to the City of London after a photograph emerged of the UK’s opening negotiating position on the new post-Brexit arrangements.

blah blah

51 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

The withdrawal agreement is not a trade deal.

No...

E.U. made it very clear that no trade would be included in WA ....how much even the U.K Tried to include that

E.U refused that all the way.....

Edited by david555