UK plans to introduce border controls on EU goods after post-Brexit transition

webfact

This next 11 months of transition is a waste of time as neither side can really show weakness and give in to the other's position/demands as it will be political suicide ...not to mention that it will be just 11 months of threats and show-boating like peacocks strutting around playing to their own audiences. Best thing that can happen is for the UK to go WTO rules right now and let the UK negotiate from properly outside the EU. This is the most likely scenario that will focus minds on both sides and cut the <deleted> plus would call the bluff on everyone including the business world too. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Correct.  But 'crashing out with no deal' was referring to leaving the EU without a withdrawal agreement. 

More formally known in Brexit double speak as ‘Australian trade arrangements’.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Do you want to eat chlorinated chicken? I'm sure I don't.

Why not?  I'm not saying you have to, or that labelling isn't a good idea, but seriously, why not?  This isn't about GMO products where you can't even imagine the long term consequences of fiddling with a process you don't understand. This is about chlorinating the birds at the end to meet bacterial safety standards, rather than using other, more expensive production processes. If the chlorine is not in and of itself dangerous, and everyone agrees about that, what is the genuine reason for the ban?

The answer it always comes down to, is because "the leaders in the EU don't like it." There may actually be valid reasons for not liking it, but if so, they should be clearly stated as the reasons, and not hidden in subterfuge called an unspecified food safety issue. What is the tangible reason behind the rule? It smacks of pure protectionism.

As I understand it, the EU leaders use the argument that it is because it could hide other "bad" practices. But if it achieves exactly the same result, are they actually "bad" practices from a safety perspective? It's the dishonesty I object to with regard to the EU, not their requirements. In this case, they have failed to provide clarity with regards to their true motivations.

So let me ask you this. If you absolutely can not tell the difference between a chlorinated chicken and any other kind based purely on the end result hygenic standards, what is your reason for disliking it? You clearly don't. You must have a reason for that.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2020 at 8:59 PM, samran said:

I thought the whole point of being a Tory was to CUT the cost of doing business? 

Ah well, it will just be passed on to consumers who will have to bear the cost of this. Less money in people’s pockets at the end of the day. 

There was a cost to the "free trade" agreements. It seems that as soon as  some people see the word "Free" they assume  everything is free. Well it never is. All the UK is doing is   moving some costs around and protecting  UK assets.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, samran said:

More formally known in Brexit double speak as ‘Australian trade arrangements’.

No. We already left the EU with a formal withdrawal agreement. You're talking about trading arrangements, which are the next stage, being negotiated over the next 11 months. 

But of course those still bitter about Brexit are adamant the negotiations are already done and dusted, and there will be no FTA. And even if there is an FTA the UK will still go back to the Dark Age. Because in case you didn't know, they can see into the future. 

P.S. it's nice you have another anti-Brexit slogan to hang onto and repeat every day.  'Australian trade arrangements' can sit nicely alongside 'unicorns' etc., and make you feel really clever ????

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

a 3 year campaign by the Daily Mail which encouraged the gullible in our society to hate Immigrants, and blame them for all our problems.

Immigration is a problem - an economic one, one that affects most the lives of those who vote for it.

The unprecedented mass immigration since 1997 happened for ideological reasons not for economic ones, and it resulted in economic problems because there was inadequate (or no) planning for it. The UK now has a cost of living crisis caused by immigration and the concomitant economic illiteracy of New Labour.

22 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Once we were famous for being open, broad minded, fair, outward looking, generous, and welcoming to others. People were keen to work with us, now sadly it seems many would rather work without us.

Jesus wept.

Britain still is, but the British are not stupid, and many can't wait for them to return to the rest of the world.

Jesus wept indeed when Britain was held back by the EU, but now he has a big warm Brexity smile. ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You don't even know what the WA was do you?

They dare not acknowledge that there was a withdrawal agreement. Because they told us all that the EU would never re-open WA negotiations, and so we would either have to sign May's WA or we'd crash out without a deal. So when Boris got a new WA, and got it through Parliament, and it got implemented, those die hard remainers have to pretend it didn't happen. 

I think they use the 'fingers in the ears and "la la la" method' to overcome this problem. And then they move onto telling us about the next thing that the UK won't achieve in the Brexit talks. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

No. We already left the EU with a formal withdrawal agreement. You're talking about trading arrangements, which are the next stage, being negotiated over the next 11 months. 

But of course those still bitter about Brexit are adamant the negotiations are already done and dusted, and there will be no FTA. And even if there is an FTA the UK will still go back to the Dark Age. Because in case you didn't know, they can see into the future. 

P.S. it's nice you have another anti-Brexit slogan to hang onto and repeat every day.  'Australian trade arrangements' can sit nicely alongside 'unicorns' etc., and make you feel really clever ????

I very much understand what I am referring to is ‘what comes next’. 

Im just making light of the verbal contortions Boris is now dishing out to describe the next bit, one of which is a term which the same as trying to put lipstick on a pig. 

One does wonder why he was does dress up ‘no deal’ as ‘Australian trade arrangements’. Most likely cause he knows it’s another slogan, and you blokes like your slogans. 

As for me being anti Brexit - well not really. It’s done. I’m just having fun on the sidelines watching the ashen faced performances telling everyone up is down and right is left. Hours and hours of entertainment for the whole family! 

Edited by samran
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vogie said:

David MEPs say a lot of things, here is a Danish MEP saying Denmark joined the predecessor of the EU to trade with the British.

Yeah..

That proves some say really bull sh.it ....not only Nigel "blackadder" Farage ....LOL.????

I know you would ike the article ????

Edited by david555

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

They don't have enough customs officers for that nor the computer systems and the tarifs aren't yet known, should be a right British cock up with traffic jams as far as the eye can see. I presume the US will decide which tarifs can be implemented and which computer systems can be used (not Huawei) The UK has just changed one block for another and both are bigger than the UK but at least they had a seat at the table with the EU now they must dance to Trump's tune.

Not only the "colonists" beat them and got their independance letting them loose the "new world" , but now they go to be colonized by hem ????

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, david555 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/12/uk-alignment-on-eu-standards-price-to-pay-for-trade-deal-say-meps

UK alignment on EU standards price to pay for trade deal, say MEPs

Vote comes as bloc wields its powers to force change in UK domestic law during transition

The European parliament has called on Michel Barnier to keep Britain permanently tied to its employment, environment and competition laws as the price for maintaining free trade with the EU.

In a resolution adopted by 543 votes to 39, with 69 abstentions, MEPs said there needed to be “dynamic alignment” with EU standards across a range of issues ????

(This seems to be more than a majority from 80 votes) ????

Don't forget the fish and chips,

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, samran said:

Yes, right. Caught out and pretending you were in on the joke from the beginning.  Interesting tactic. I must say, it took you a while to say ‘gotchya’. 

Whatever the case, I’m not sure some of the whatsapp group got the message.

Next you’ll be telling us the NHS slogans on the red busses were for guidance only. 

Talk about caught out! Stop fudging my posts. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Talk about caught out! Stop fudging my posts. 

I didn’t fudge anything, I just put a legitimate link to your response.

But like anything on this topic, it is open to interpretation! 

350 million pounds anyone?

Edited by samran
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, samran said:

Is it Withdrawal Agreement something you have when you don’t want to use condoms? 

that's one of the best I have read/heard recently, thks for the good laugh 555

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samran said:

Yes, right. Caught out and pretending you were in on the joke from the beginning.  Interesting tactic. I must say, it took you a while to say ‘gotchya’. 

I thought you might cotton on after the zillionth time No Dealers/Hard Brexiteers used the phrase, but in the end I took pity on you and (partly for the sake of my own sanity) decided to spell it out.

Oh and just a heads up, Jonathan Pie is a Spoof. ????. Now I'm thinking about it, maybe it's for the best if you stick with The Ronnie Johns Half Hour, those Chopper impersonations are hilarious :whistling:.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I thought you might cotton on after the zillionth time No Dealers/Hard Brexiteers used the phrase, but in the end I took pity on you and (partly for the sake of my own sanity) decided to spell it out.

Oh and just a heads up, Jonathan Pie is a Spoof. ????. Now I'm thinking about it, maybe it's for the best if you stick with The Ronnie Johns Half Hour, those Chopper impersonations are hilarious :whistling:.

Um, from a bunch of people who couldn’t tell their WTOs from their FTAs? 

But if you say so, I believe you. Wink wink. 

Blow me over with a feather. Jonathan Pie is a spoof? Say it ain’t so!

Not really that I watch him much,  he pales in comparison to the brexit show. I prefer a bit of reality TV. My only recommendation would be to overlay it with a bit of Benny Hill show music - very appropriate don’t you think?

Edited by samran
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Don't forget the fish and chips,

No need.... , they are all yours …. at breakfast , at lunch …& at dinner....????, until  you even can not stand the word "fish" anymore ...????....

Edited by david555
  • Haha 2