UK plans to introduce border controls on EU goods after post-Brexit transition

webfact

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No the funniest thing is it gets Non Brits who are all experts on British Politics and ideas, talking absolute rollocks.

What exciting lives these non Brits have.

No doubt you yourself live up to your ideals and never express any views on what is happening in any other countries.

A pity though, I expect they just can't wait to be enlightened by your thoughtful, accurate, and insightful analysis!  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, samran said:

One does wonder why he was does dress up ‘no deal’ as ‘Australian trade arrangements’. Most likely cause he knows it’s another slogan, and you blokes like your slogans. 

As I understand it - and I could be wrong - the EU and Australia have bespoke minor agreements in place on certain things, without having a full FTA? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, samran said:

I didn’t fudge anything, I just put a legitimate link to your response.

But like anything on this topic, it is open to interpretation! 

350 million pounds anyone?

350 million, there you go, another one! We could start a game of Remainer cliché bingo on here ????

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

As I understand it - and I could be wrong - the EU and Australia have bespoke minor agreements in place on certain things, without having a full FTA? 

27 members giving them E.U. maybe an advantage ???? ? Maybe Australia see it that way too....who knows.. ????

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

350 million, there you go, another one! We could start a game of Remainer cliché bingo on here ????

Oh, so it was the remain campaign who drove this around? Thanks for clearing that one up...another up is down revision from the brainstrust. 

2F1FE230-D1FA-44E9-AC7A-BFD80E2322A9.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Very minor, not preferential market access or anything of that manner.

Simply a mutual recognition agreement on testing for limited set of product standards and a wine agreement where we don’t use native regional names for alcoholic products (eg port sherry champagne) etc. 

• Like 1

(So that makes it now then more official as before Brexit.... ???? )

Daniel Boffey in Brussels

Thu 13 Feb 2020 10.19 GMT

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/feb/13/eu-to-put-cayman-islands-on-tax-haven-blacklist

In wake of Brexit, EU to put Cayman Islands on tax haven blacklist

Decision on British overseas territory comes less than two weeks after UK left bloc

The Cayman Islands, a British overseas territory, is to be put on an EU blacklist of tax havens, less than two weeks after the UK’s withdrawal from the bloc.

In a clear indication of the country’s loss of influence on the EU’s decision-making, the bloc’s 27 finance ministers are expected to sign off on the decision next week.

The EU’s blacklist is an attempt to clamp down on the estimated £506bn lost to aggressive tax avoidance every year but member states are not “screened” in the process of drawing up the blacklist.

more...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Technically they're rejoiners bolstered by a substantial number of PONTI's. Unless or until something newsworthy arises i'm quite happy maintaining listening watch.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, evadgib said:

Technically they're rejoiners bolstered by a substantial number of PONTI's. Unless or until something newsworthy arises i'm quite happy maintaining listening watch.

So Downing #10 surprise reshuffle a la Trump …. sacking the unexpected one(s) is not newsworthy enough ? When the "messiah"  throw out his followers.....????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, samran said:

Oh, so it was the remain campaign who drove this around? Thanks for clearing that one up...another up is down revision from the brainstrust. 

2F1FE230-D1FA-44E9-AC7A-BFD80E2322A9.jpeg

Posting a photo of the bus - even better.  I reckon that's worth 2 points in Remainer Cliché Bingo ????

11 minutes ago, david555 said:

Yeah ...but on those they have benefits I guess …..now the U.K. is out , and a third country ...the white cotton gloves go of ...as I predicted before , situation changed as before they (E.U.) hoped a change or soft approach from U.K. but as all brexiteers said Boris is a different kind than May ..... so a different approach from E.U. to Boris is normal 

I would not be surprised  some start emptying their safes already  ….. as they go look other places ……. would that have impact on GBP …..? 

I used to work in this area. Basically funds are set up by investment managers with a Cayman Islands domicile, for tax reasons. If a corporate investor from the EU wants to invest in one of those funds, they will need to go through additional checks if Cayman is blacklisted by the EU. 

If Cayman is made to be too unattractive for investors, the investment managers would start to open funds in other tax havens instead. But to be honest, the biggest fund investors in the western world are in the US and UK, ie. are not EU investors. 

It won't impact the GBP, but it will definitely hurt the local Cayman economy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Doomers still navel gazing i see.

The gambit of losing Javid would have been game planned by no 10... its about consolidating power and effectively taking control of no 11. Cummings got his way. His replacement is a good choice and more importantly LOYAL nd will continue to be having been raised up at such a a young age but hes a smart lad and calm with it.

No 11 had EU centric advisers from Hammonds days and Javid was also a remainer .. those advisers have been getting sacked and pushed out over the last few months and Javid was told to sack the rest and he felt he had to fall on his sword, he was gamed and outplayed, remember he ran against Boris for leader so its not that big a surprise not was he a staunch ally

The advisers from no 10 will now also function as those to no 11, t allows Boris to actually get things done faster and on a more dramatic level. HUGE fiscal stimulus is coming and thats a good thing, the timing is right and having a treasury in step with no 10 is a smart move, from the perspective of Boris and Cummings. Its done, Cummings now has the control and for good or bad can set to work in earnest.Whitehall clearout is coming next.   

The markets also like the move, it frees up spending in the UK after 10+ years of austerity.... investing in infrastructure and making sweeping changes ASAP sends a strong signal, the UK is OPEN for business and willing to make badly needed changes not done for 50 years ..

Its another good move by no 10 imo in a post Brexit world. 

For your last lines.....  I think the markets are up as the investors expect a rise in debt from gov. and so need more loans against a higher % , in other words they expect a derailing from the budget …...

Anyway not long anymore and the budget shall be public 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, david555 said:

For your last lines.....  I think the markets are up as the investors expect a rise in debt from gov. and so need more loans against a higher % , in other words they expect a derailing from the budget …...

Anyway not long anymore and the budget shall be public 

Oh the deficit is going to balloon for sure, markets love a spending spree but that was always on the cards especially with the votes from the north. Loans atm are cheap as they have ever been, its a good time to spend and do it on infrastructure is even better for the longterm.  So far so good  although i hate HS2 its also all about the appearance of boldness and vision, its what makes a country great and the UK needs vision for the future. 

I will wager Boris spending will makes peoples eyes water and mess with every traditional fiscal Tory out there, but thats what will be required, be bold and the rest will follow. 

Edited by englishoak

40 minutes ago, englishoak said:

Oh the deficit is going to balloon for sure, markets love a spending spree but that was always on the cards especially with the votes from the north. Loans atm are cheap as they have ever been, its a good time to spend and do it on infrastructure is even better for the longterm.  So far so good  although i hate HS2 its also all about the appearance of boldness and vision, its what makes a country great and the UK needs vision for the future. 

I will wager Boris spending will makes peoples eyes water and mess with every traditional fiscal Tory out there, but thats what will be required, be bold and the rest will follow. 

And the bridge from Scotland to Ireland that even the best structural engineers on the planet are saying is a non starter?

Johnson has a poor record when it comes to bridge building so how much money is he going to spaff all over this?

The UK will not find cheap loans after its credit rating gets downgraded.

Again.

• Haha 1