Boy, 12, shoots friend dead after playing with father's rifle

webfact

Boy, 12, shoots friend dead after playing with father's rifle

2pm1.jpg

Thai caption: The gun went off and hit his friend

Picture: Sanook

A thirteen year old boy has died in north east Thailand after he was shot by a friend while playing with his father's gun.

Police and rescue services were called to a house in Ban Nong Sae in Nong Kung Sri district of Kalasin on Sunday morning after the boy was shot.

A Thai made cap rifle was found. 

The victim had been hit six times in the head.

He died in  Kalasin hospital on Monday after being transferred there from a local hospital. 

Nong Kung Sri police said that three boys were playing. One boy aged 12 got his father's gun and pointed and shot at his friend. 

There were no adults at home at the time. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-02-11
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Could it be that the cartridge contained multiple lead shot, and 6 of them hit the boy's head?

I hope so otherwise, as you say, this was no accident.

The other English language said that the gun was a homemade muzzle loading gun. The shooter came out from his fathers room to his friends, pointed the gun at one of them and pulled the trigger but nothing happened. He went back into his fathers room,presumably to load the gun, came out at tried again and this time the gun went off.

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Could it be that the cartridge contained multiple lead shot, and 6 of them hit the boy's head?

That is correct.

A "cap rifle" is, in fact, a local workshop produced, smooth bore, muzzle loading, percussion cap ignition, musket.

Measured (or bagged?) powder charge and projectiles (single ball or multiple shot) rammed home.

Very cheap and used for hunting game.

If I were to post my photo of the owner holding this one, you would see that it is as tall as he is:

image.jpeg.9cd404305b5827ae8439dbca92815ede.jpeg

image.jpeg.b02775c3bf22e1965ca5cbff79aed348.jpeg

I thought it to be antique, but the owner told me it was 10 years old.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Redline said:

Sounds like the USA more everyday ????

Did that make you feel better?  Funny you think?  America has too many gun nutters fact. We rarely have kids shooting each other by accident.  Please dont make light of a tragedy..

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

The shooter came out from his fathers room to his friends, pointed the gun at one of them and pulled the trigger but nothing happened. He went back into his fathers room,presumably to load the gun, came out at tried again and this time the gun went off.

A very determined 12 year old.  :crying:

3 hours ago, marin said:

Did that make you feel better?  Funny you think?  America has too many gun nutters fact. We rarely have kids shooting each other by accident.  Please dont make light of a tragedy..

I'm sorry to have to mention that I have read many stories in American media that, in fact, several hundred children are shot by other childres "by accident" every year. I don't remember the actual number, so it may be over a thousand each year. And then you have cases like the woman who was shot by her three-year-old "by accident," in her car; for some reason she had put the hand-gun in the pocket on the back of the driver's seat. You are right that this case is a tragedy, not a joke.

• Like 1

I really don't know much about this story, or about this type of weapon. 

Question, did the weapon discharge multiple times, or just ones? If it was loaded and discharged 6 times then it is very difficult to call it an accident, but being the type of weapon described in the replies, is it possible that the weapon was loaded Once, with six projectiles, like a shotgun??? explaining the "hit six times" comment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, marin said:

Rarely?

On average, from 2012 to 2014, nearly 1300 children (N = 1297) died each year in the United States from a firearm-related injury,  6% were unintentional firearm deaths (n = 82).  Sort of sad that 82 deaths per annum  are considered a rarity.  Appreciate you were answering an inappropriate comparison, but all the same,  everything about kids and guns and  deaths is  sadly needless.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

I doubt the kid loaded & fired 6 times. 

I'd be willing to bet that this was some sort of percussion shotgun loaded with multiple pellets.

Yeah, sounds like maybe a home brew percussion lock or “cap lock” black powder muzzle loading shotgun. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition

On 2/11/2020 at 1:16 PM, billd766 said:
On 2/11/2020 at 9:59 AM, chickenslegs said:

On 2/11/2020 at 1:16 PM, billd766 said:

The other English language said that the gun was a homemade muzzle loading gun. The shooter came out from his fathers room to his friends, pointed the gun at one of them and pulled the trigger but nothing happened. He went back into his fathers room,presumably to load the gun, came out at tried again and this time the gun went off.

I've just read another English language news site which bears out the @billd766 version.

What I find so disturbing is that the gun failed to fire the first time so the kid went off to load it.

Now if the gun had fired the first time you call it a case of 'cowboys and indians' gone badly wrong. But for the kid to go off to load it and even know how to load it at 12 years old.

A 12 year old kid knows how to load and prime a muzzle loading, percussion musket?  It beggars belief!

Some very serious questions need to be asked in that household.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2020 at 2:30 PM, marin said:

What makes you think it’s funny?  It’s sad.  The only guns that should be allowed anywhere are for hunting, and licenses should require passing strict training, guns locked up, mental health screening, ammunition and guns in separate places-secured.  By the way, that little face at the end is of surprise.

read with your glasses, or when sober.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Acharn said:

I'm sorry to have to mention that I have read many stories in American media that, in fact, several hundred children are shot by other childres "by accident" every year. I don't remember the actual number, so it may be over a thousand each year. And then you have cases like the woman who was shot by her three-year-old "by accident," in her car; for some reason she had put the hand-gun in the pocket on the back of the driver's seat. You are right that this case is a tragedy, not a joke.

I agree, and was not making light of it

A very sick person that should not have been born. Hope that they lock him away for the rest of his useless life. Sadly the community has to pay for him until he is dead or released. If someone shoots 6 times there is no excuse. If he shoots 1 time only there is no excuse. And also the people allowing this cretin to use the gun should be punished to the full extent. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I've just read another English language news site which bears out the @billd766 version.

What I find so disturbing is that the gun failed to fire the first time so the kid went off to load it.

Now if the gun had fired the first time you call it a case of 'cowboys and indians' gone badly wrong. But for the kid to go off to load it and even know how to load it at 12 years old.

A 12 year old kid knows how to load and prime a muzzle loading, percussion musket?  It beggars belief!

Some very serious questions need to be asked in that household.

I have no idea at 75 years old how to load and prime a muzzle loading rifle.

The only ones that I have seen are in museums.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have no idea at 75 years old how to load and prime a muzzle loading rifle.

The only ones that I have seen are in museums.

I'm 74 and I was thinking the same thing myself. And I spent 22 yrs in the armed forces so I am quite familiar with firearms.

• Like 1