Koh Samui: Build a second airport for budget airlines, much better than a bridge, says MP

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

New Palangdharma Party MP Dr Ravee Maschamadol

he's new, not enough experience yet.... but building a bridge would allow for more Thais (who can't afford a air plane ticket) to visit Samui and surrounding areas thus bringing in extra business for the locals

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Or, do the right thing, invest in quality instead of quantity. Although it's probably too late now, I was driving along Chaweng yesterday, the place is an overbuilt mess (the current roadworks aren't helping either). Last time I visited was in 2009 I think, gone downhill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Or, do the right thing, invest in quality instead of quantity. Although it's probably too late now, I was driving along Chaweng yesterday, the place is an overbuilt mess (the current roadworks aren't helping either). Last time I visited was in 2009 I think, gone downhill. 

since 2014 not many things in Thailand moved up hill.....oh, ok, one at least, the quantity of the thick envelopes

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Why not shatter the monopoly and expand the existing facility.

Currently anyone who wants to can fly into surat and bus and boat over. 

Still a hell of alot faster than road travel.

One can only hope the bridge will not extend to koh phangan.  

Edited by metempsychotic

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He suggested that the current airport arrangement that has existed for years is a rip-off and is only for well heeled tourists.

I remember that some years ago some of your colleagues officially declared that they want only classy people for Samui, what is it now? With the Chinese you also accept some lower levels ...

A second airport is a big wane, force Bangkok Air to drop prices and allow other airlines to land at their airport!
Ups, I asked for an absolutely impossible thing ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

he's new, not enough experience yet.... but building a bridge would allow for more Thais (who can't afford a air plane ticket) to visit Samui and surrounding areas thus bringing in extra business for the locals

You missed his thinking. He gets more brown envelopes in building an airport.

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Considering the fact that the average cost of a bridge over the sea, seems to be in the neighborhood of $60 million per km. it is doubtful this silly bridge idea would ever happen. Another airport is a good idea.

If the well connected BA makes a big legal stink, sieze Samui airport under eminent domain. They have already made their fortune on it. 

60 million can buy a lot of mercs... airport equals a lot of civics... case closed.

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Bring in the low end tourists who can't afford anything and the trash vendors will follow after for a fast buck.

5 year down the line Samui will have gone from a half decent place to a hell-hole!

Samui was a paradise about 20 - 30 years ago. With the Baht crises the mass tourism started and this was the end of the paradise. Visited it the last time about 10 years ago. Booked for 2 weeks but fled after a couple of days. 

Edited by Beggar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dr. Prasert Prasarttong-Osoth, Chairman of Bangkok Airways, is the visionary behind Bangkok Airways as well as the airport on Samui island. He bought the land and built the airport to make Samui - aviationwise - "online". 

Bangkok Airways is a true boutique airline and not comparable to a low cost carrier. I happened to be on a 6-passenger-flight in a 100-passenger aircraft and, despite being possibly the loss leader of that particular day, the flight was operated - which was very, very important to me. This is something which cannot be said by most other airlines in Thailand. 

Dr. Prasert and his team of leading professionals put Samui and their airline where they are today. The "expensive" part comes from all those half-empty hotels overcharging tremendously (a bottle of local soda at Baht 90++) and blocking entire sections of the beach for private hotel guests (restaurant guests spending more than B 1000/head did not count).  

• Sad 2

Bangkok airways which is privately owned generates the majority of its annual income directly from the Koh Samui flights this information was released last year without Samui airport and the extortionate prices they charge they would go bust within months.

5 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

I prefer quality over quantity. Thailand has plenty low cost destinations already, and are struggling more than Samui. The reason affluent travelers visit Samui is because it’s not like Pattaya or Phuket. The hotels that are struggling on Samui are the low and mid tier ones. The luxury accommodations are doing fine. Let’s not ruin that with plane loads of budget travelers please. 

So what are you thinking out loud . That you belong with the Hi So and like them don't like the Normal people /Tourists. I always been thought that we are All equal. or do you think that Hi So people cost more from Making than Normal people. I don't think so It makes no difference that you are Made in the backseat off a cat or in an Posh Hotel room. ????

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

It's not a question about airport or bridge, it's a question about infrastructure and how much tourism the environment can bear.

Bear in mind that Europen tourist destinations, and even countries, have or are proposing to tax tourists, because the infrastructure and environment cannot take more, there are already too many.

The benefit with one private airport, and relative high fees for using it, is that it in a way sort the tourists, so the better spenders that can afford Samui are those arriving. And for those that wish to travel cheaper it's both affordable and fairly easy to use Air Asia to Surat Thani, and their link with bus/ferry to Samui.

There are by the way probably not enough affordable accommodation available for a massive increased numbers of budget travellers. Another question is, if there also is a huge enough increasing demand for visiting the island...????

Absolutely right, and this being a key point:

"And for those that wish to travel cheaper it's both affordable and fairly easy to use Air Asia to Surat Thani, and their link with bus/ferry to Samui."

It would be sad if they decide to destroy even more of the diminishing natural habitat on this small island to build another airport. If all the trees are cut down and replaced by concrete, then they'll really see a drop in tourist numbers - forever! 

• Like 1